Mega Drive. Yeah!

strider

I really loved Bonanza Bros back in the day. In fact it was the second game I got when I was a kid and spent hours playing the hell out of it! Bags of character. Although the pyramid level was always a pain in the arse!

I don’t think I’ve ever played SoR3?! I have an Everdrive but I have a feeling it’s the PAL and NTSC-U versions on it so I should really track down the Japanese version. I’ve just never bothered due to the “meh” reviews. It’s also one of the few Datadisc soundtracks I didn’t buy as I’ve been told the music style is a complete change of direction and not particularly good?

Golden Axe is a stone cold classic, one of my favourite Sega scrolling fighters. The sequels (including the arcade sequel) may have introduced more variety etc, but the Megadrive original is top dog for me. The soundtrack is amazing too, every time I hear it I feel 10 years old again!

2 hours ago, StoooTube said:

I don’t think I’ve ever played SoR3?! I have an Everdrive but I have a feeling it’s the PAL and NTSC-U versions on it so I should really track down the Japanese version.

If you have an Everdrive, you should get yourself Bare Knuckle III and then patch it with this fan translation. That way you get the best version of the game, plus you can also understand the story!

On 09/11/2020 at 08:54, KriessG said:

I just picked up True Lies. It’s one of my favourite films and I hear the game is good. Has anyone here played it?

Yeah it's a good game but it gets really hard with really long levels later on. Definitely worth a play though. 

Demolition Man is another decent film licence that's worth a look. 

• 3 weeks later...

So recently an English translation for Lord Monarch: Tokoton Sentou Densetsu, originally a Falcom-produced strategy RPG but reimagined by Sega in 1994 got released:

https://www.romhacking.net/translations/5762/

I'd been itching to get into a decent MD SRPG for a while but have found it tough going with a couple of the most loved / highly rated ones because I find them either too difficult to get the swing of or too impenetrable for the shorter bursts of play I tend to prefer (such as with the also fairly recent translation of the early era Bahamut Senki).

Lord Monarch: Legendary Battle Royale stands out because aside from its incredible aesthetic polish the vibe is pure light hearted whimsy and humour, and really friendly for a newcomer. I didn't need to study a doorstop-sized manual to work out how to (and not to) play, finding it really intuitive to get the hang of. I'm only about halfway through the 2nd Chapter in Story Mode but I think I'm..kinda in love with it.

Between the sharp visuals, art direction & awesome pallette usage, perfectly pitched music & cues, the genuinely entertaining script (kudos to the translators) & characters and satisfying hybrid real-time / turn-based mechanics (weighted heavily towards the former)..this is a real winner in my book. A legit gem.

Turns out this game came out of the same partnership which also bore the amazing Mega CD reimagining of Popful Mail, which, for me, goes some way towards explaining why this otherwise unassuming game is of such high quality.

Even if the idea of a whimsical strategy game packed with an apparent tonne of content doesn't seem too exciting I'd recommend patching yourself this translation for a rainy day because you might end up, like me, being completely charmed.

9 hours ago, Alexlotl said:

I quite fancy an 8BitDo M30 and Mega Drive receiver for Christmas - any recommendations on where to buy them in the UK?

When I bought my 2nd one of these early this year I had to get it from Hong Kong. I couldn't find a single UK stockist outside of individual resellers and their hefty markups. Good luck.

6 hours ago, Sketch said:

Cheers. Been waiting years for this to get translated. Time to update the Everdrive!

I wrote my day off and devoted most of it to Lord Monarch. Been years since I've done that with any game but it's really a joy. I got my arse kicked a few times but went straight back every time. Currently stuck on Chapter 4 so checked out the PC-98 campaign and found it just as good.

IMG_20201205_231134582-01.jpeg

1 hour ago, Alexlotl said:

Ta for all the advice. I ended up ordering an M30 2.4ghz and a SN30 2.4ghz from Amazon US, which it seemed to let me do quite happily. £60 all in with priority postage, if their assumption around tax/duties etc is correct.

correct choices

On 08/12/2020 at 14:19, Alexlotl said:

Ta for all the advice. I ended up ordering an M30 2.4ghz and a SN30 2.4ghz from Amazon US, which it seemed to let me do quite happily. £60 all in with priority postage, if their assumption around tax/duties etc is correct.

The M30 2.4ghz pads are brilliant

On 08/12/2020 at 14:19, Alexlotl said:

These arrived today via UPS, no extra import fees! Quicker than ordering most stuff from the UK.

Aye, it's always been my favourite pinball game. I was chuffed to find a US copy for about £20 a while ago, having put off buying JP MD and PCE copies for years due to the asking prices. :)

Be sure to try "OMAKEBGM" on the password screen followed by a number from 0 to 4 for some excellent additional music, including a great version of a Thunder Force III tune. Herzog Zwei and Elemental Master are in there too!

1 hour ago, Klatrymadon said:

Aye, it's always been my favourite pinball game. I was chuffed to find a US copy for about £20 a while ago, having put off buying JP MD and PCE copies for years due to the asking prices. :)

Be sure to try "OMAKEBGM" on the password screen followed by a number from 0 to 4 for some excellent additional music, including a great version of a Thunder Force III tune. Herzog Zwei and Elemental Master are in there too!

I'll do this - thank you :)