IGNORED

Mega Drive. Yeah!

strider

19 hours ago, spanky debrest said:

"Do you own a PAL Mega-Drive, that's only capable of running games in 50 Hz instead of glorious 60 Hz? Are you tired of your Sonic 1 running almost 17% slower? Are you dreaming of playing it in full speed, like NTSC users?

Well, this hack got you covered, as it overhauls the game and its physics engine to effectively run at the same speed regardless of your region!

It's about time 50 Hz mode gets the upper hand!

Play in PAL-exclusive 320x240 resolution!

Make NTSC users jealous as they only get smaller 320x224 screen.

50 Hz now feels the same as 60 Hz!

This was achieved by dynamically extrapolating all the movement, velocities, accelerations, in-game timers, animations etc. in 50 Hz mode.

More processing power, less lag.

Due to lower screen refresh rates, the game gets even more processing time for each frame, meaning the lag is reduced.

One ROM to rule them all.

As mentioned above, screen refresh rate extrapolation is dynamic, nothing is hardcoded. So this ROM will play the same in 60 Hz mode (except you won't get PAL-exclusive benefits mentioned above)"

https://shc.zone/entries/expo2021/589

on a completely unrelated note, your signature cracks me up, did you google translate that?

On 06/11/2021 at 21:44, spanky debrest said:

"Do you own a PAL Mega-Drive, that's only capable of running games in 50 Hz instead of glorious 60 Hz? Are you tired of your Sonic 1 running almost 17% slower? Are you dreaming of playing it in full speed, like NTSC users?

Well, this hack got you covered, as it overhauls the game and its physics engine to effectively run at the same speed regardless of your region!

It's about time 50 Hz mode gets the upper hand!

Play in PAL-exclusive 320x240 resolution!

Make NTSC users jealous as they only get smaller 320x224 screen.

50 Hz now feels the same as 60 Hz!

This was achieved by dynamically extrapolating all the movement, velocities, accelerations, in-game timers, animations etc. in 50 Hz mode.

More processing power, less lag.

Due to lower screen refresh rates, the game gets even more processing time for each frame, meaning the lag is reduced.

One ROM to rule them all.

As mentioned above, screen refresh rate extrapolation is dynamic, nothing is hardcoded. So this ROM will play the same in 60 Hz mode (except you won't get PAL-exclusive benefits mentioned above)"

https://shc.zone/entries/expo2021/589

I permanently modded my pal megadrive to 60hz, no soldering just a Stanley knife, it makes sense of you have an everdrive but not so much if you want to play pal games as it may screw up optimised games.

On 08/11/2021 at 08:24, bplus said:

I permanently modded my pal megadrive to 60hz, no soldering just a Stanley knife, it makes sense of you have an everdrive but not so much if you want to play pal games as it may screw up optimised games.

I keep a switched MD hooked up for the handful of PAL games that are broken at 60hz (Power Strike II at 50hz is essential, for example) but obviously it's mostly an NTSC unit (legit NTSC thanks to swapping the timing crystal out).

I just found the lines I bolded pretty amusing and love the novelty of a PAL game being made objectively superior to it's NTSC brother.

This is probably a bit niche even for this thread but Kazuhiko Nagai (veteran Sega composer / hardware engineer) found and uploaded this fascinating tape to his YouTube, and it's been on daily rotation for a while. 

Anyone who's ever enjoyed the music of Rambo III or Mystic Defender needs to hear this. It's like a section of a Columbia Records Miles Davis boxset or something - pure gold that was never meant for public release that changes everything once it's absorbed. 

It's in three parts (total length of about 31 mins):

Wow, I'm really surprised to see a reissue for Gaiares.

I have an original copy but it's still quite tempting as it's one of my very favourite MD shoot 'em ups and was a bit of a Holy Grail for quite a while.

Retrobit's reissue's seem to be pretty good quality and that T-shirt must be a contender for some sort of "Most niche reference on a T-shirt" award.

GaiaresCollage_460x.jpg

I’m not surprised at all. I dropped £100+ on an original copy on eBay literally the day before this was announced. 

The very same thing happened with the Zombies re-issue, which I bought 3 days before the announcement.

Anyone have any games they want re-issuing? Let me know. 

Doesn't seem to be any information on a port but it would be lovely to see it on Switch.

I guess the reissue means my original copy will decrease in value but I don't really mind. There are other games I don't own which I'd love to be reissued (Alien Soldier, Twinkle Tale) so it's all swings and roundabouts.

6 hours ago, Jazz Glands said:

I’m not surprised at all. I dropped £100+ on an original copy on eBay literally the day before this was announced. 

The very same thing happened with the Zombies re-issue, which I bought 3 days before the announcement.

Anyone have any games they want re-issuing? Let me know. 

Panzer Dragoon Saga please

20 hours ago, JamesC said:

Doesn't seem to be any information on a port but it would be lovely to see it on Switch.

I guess the reissue means my original copy will decrease in value but I don't really mind. There are other games I don't own which I'd love to be reissued (Alien Soldier, Twinkle Tale) so it's all swings and roundabouts.

little bit of info here

https://www.nintendolife.com/news/2021/11/gaiares-is-getting-a-physical-re-release-with-the-help-of-the-kid-who-promoted-it-31-years-ago

summary seemed to be:

MD only

No digital release for modern consoles

Cart won’t fit a JPN machine

Bevelled!

One of my top shooters and games in general. I love this game!

I don’t think this release will affect the original prices too much. Collectors want the original.

One thing I was surprised by was the t-shirt (so ultimately the ad campaign) ‘teaching’ you how to say the name…and it’s teaching you wrong! For those that can read JPN katakana it is actually pronounced Gaia Res, not Guy Are Us

10 hours ago, Goemon said:

Cart won’t fit a JPN machine

I don’t see how that can be true seeing as Japanese carts are bigger than other regions.  Unless they mean Japanese machines that still have the cart lock.  All grey import machines have this removed as its only one screw to disable. 

• 3 weeks later...

This demo was pretty cool because it introduced me to the very nice work of SilverRIFF - who kindly shares links to vgm files of his Mega Drive cover versions in his YouTube videos.

His MD version of Bloodlines from Rondo of Blood sounds absolutely incredible from real hardware, with amazing use of both audio chips. 

"All the synth tracks are made with KORG minilogue (blue track) and Roland SE-02(green track), reminiscent of the Techno of the early 80s. Belated happy 32nd anniversary!

The second half of this video runs the same song with another breakbeat, which will remind you of many songs that used that famous rhythm back in the 80s"

On 06/12/2021 at 12:50, Down by Law said:

Excited about this project, I love GG Shinobi and this MD remake is looking and sounding very promising so far

I wish they'd do a megadrive port of the arcade original, never understood why there wasn't one

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

After what felt like a break that might never end, it was the need to listen to a Mega Drive soundtrack that bought me back: Thunderforce AC.

While it didn't technically exist on the MD, the arcade board's music, played back on hardware via flashcart, is so, so good (all System C-2 games have audio 100% compatible with Mega Drive, which is something I don't think is widely known, weirdly enough).

That got me thinking of a pure comfort game I play as much for it's soundtrack as the blissful 20-odd minutes of gameplay it provides: Musha Aleste. 

Between the bevy of anthropomorphised demon robot enemies, pitch perfect design balance, *exquisite* metal chiptune score, devil featus 'final' boss and  satisfying credits sequence.. I'm always left in awe. 

Next up was another nostalgic shooter: Hellfire.

I'd never argue this one is a top tier shooter - maybe a B to B+. Unlike with MUSHA however, I barely scraped through. I forgot it's a game that delights in exposing how rusty you are.

Still, that switching fire mechanic and trademark super-loud Toaplan octave-pulsing soundtrack (complemented perfectly with refined, round, warm, sound effects) made it a joy to revisit.

Last up, a now all-time-favourite which by this point I'm certain I'm the world's biggest fan of: Lord Monarch.

This one - thanks to its impeccable fan translation - hypnotised me for months. Maybe even six months. Barely any other game got a look in whilst it had its talons in me (an experience I last had with a videogame 20 years ago when Ikaruga came out for Dreamcast and I lost three months to it).

I regard it as near perfect as a game can be, a total knockout. And returning to it after a good while to start a new save file for the Story Mode (the one part of the game with battle scenarios you can't return to) was pretty interesting.

There's *so much* brilliantly drawn, expressive and amusing art in Story Mode, so many gorgeous little portraits of the well-written characters you interact with as it progresses.

I tried taking a few shots of random scenes but unsurprisingly my phone really isn't equipped to handle capturing CRT imagery despite my best attempts.

I'm sure I wrote several long-ass essays about this game on here before, so will spare anyone with more waffle now.

Short version: Musha Aleste, Hellfire and Lord Monarch are still very very good.

I've never quite clicked with MUSHA, though I think the presentation is superb, and I've never played Lord Monarch. I agree that Hellfire is a top notch shooter though. I just love it. Love the music, the colourful graphics and the fantastic fire-switching mechanic. I just wish I was better at it.

On 12/01/2022 at 18:37, Triple A said:

+1 for Hellfire.  Amazing game!  Still super solid today.

I bought it when it came out after reading the review in Mean Machines.  It’s good, but I prefer Gynoug.