The Twitch/Ustream/Mixer Thread - a Streaming Pile of Bits

I'm the wrong person to start this thread. I've not used these services. The nearest I've come is watching some of the archived Idle Thumbs Crusader Kings sessions on their YouTube channel.

But as I understand it, this is what the young people do nowadays instead of reading Super Play magazine or listening to 1up podcasts. And there's this PS4 thing too.

On Idle Thumbs this week someone was telling a story about a mum coming into her little kids room to find him playing a videogame, while narrating his experience (in a British accent) to no-one. In his mind, that's just what you do when you play videogames.

So maybe the time has come for a thread. Do we have one already? A bit like the Gaming Podcasts thread. Post up your streams. What do you like to watch?

And I have a question. I wanted to watch a Greenspeak play Dark Souls on Twitch, but it seems like I can only watch live streams on iOS, not archived ones. Is that right?

I only recently started getting into Twitch streaming this year. A while ago I used to do stuff with Hangouts on Air, which was a feature on Google+ where you could share screen activity with others and it would archive the footage to Youtube. It was nice for an beginner-level thing because everything was done within the browser, but since then I've looked into streaming with Twitch and found some good broadcasting software that's fairly easy to pick up. At the moment I've only streamed Windows-based stuff, mostly little retro games on emulators; I could probably use my PVR as a stream source if I wanted to do console streams, but broadcasting HD content probably needs a really good connection. (Also, I haven't gone as far as including commentary/VO, partly because I hate the sound of my own voice and partly because I don't have a good mic...)

At present, the only streams I regularly check back on are done by people on rllmuk (Kayin Amoh, LongHairStu) and twitter. I try to catch up on SpeedDemosArchive occasionally and I also try to catch Street Fighter tournaments that are streamed (e.g. Canada Cup), but timezones mean that I usually have to check the archives rather than watch stuff live. For anyone wanting to get started on their own streams it's quite straightforward; all you need is some way of getting game footage in a window on a PC (whether that's with a windowed PC game, emulator, capture card output or whatever), an account on your streaming service of choice (Twitch has a free option where your streaming has ad breaks now and then, and a paid option without the ads) and software to broadcast your footage to that service. I use Open Broadcast Software and stepped through this guide here and it was very straightforward, and I always enjoy tuning in to other people's streams when I can. :D

EDIT: or you could just get a next-gen console and let it handle all of the streaming stuff...

• Upvote 2

I think it's great that it's built into PS4 and XONE.

I watched a couple of the launch games on Twitch the other night and the quality is pretty decent. It's nice to dip into and see if the game is to your tastes.

Some of the those achievements are stupid...

• Max Bandwidth is received by watching a single channel on Twitch for more than eight hours consecutively
  • Around The Clock: watch at least one minute of live video on Twitch in each hour of a full day
  • Prime Time: watch a total of 10 hours of live video on Twitch between peak viewing hours from 7:30 to 11:30 p.m., on a weekday

:blink:

I use Twitch a fair bit but my channel isn't public. I use it for showing some friends new titles or things they might be interested in playing themselves, and sometimes for MMO activity, as a few of my LOTRO group like to watch what we're up to when they can't play themselves. A good friend of mine has become a bit disillusioned with playing games since he had his first kid but says he still loves watching people play so he regularly requests I go live :)

I'm not sure i'd ever get into the narration thing, nor am I skilled enough to wanna show off what i'm doing, but it works well within my small gaming community.

Nvidia ShadowPlay has made it nice and easy to capture great gaming moments too, i'm incredibly pleased that it's finally available.

• Upvote 1

To retread the Gaming Television thread, I do love me some VGCW. Take a terrible wrestling game, (originally) terrible IP-infringing CAW creations, and a generally terrible e-sports/FGC crowd and the end result is the best light entertainment over the past year. It's so good, even the owner of Twitch and about six members of Twitch staff turn up to watch it. Which, in turn, leads to some hilariously nasty surprises for griefers and ad-spamming idiots that are wondering why the fuck there's 2,000 viewers watching WWE '13 of all things.

It's been upgraded to WWE 2K14 now, of course.

Did I mention that it should be on tonight, live at 11PM? Well, hopefully. It's either that or SaltyBet.
  • Upvote 1

I read a bit of a NeoGAF thread. Something about a mod being a gay furry, who added an emoticon to the site, which some user made a remark about, which led to a ban, which led to a cascade of protesting and bans that makes rllmuk A&F look like a haven of calm thoughtful debate.

Another vote for VGCW, it's the best thing on Twitch! The chat is immense as well

Speed Runs Live is a nice collection of speedrunners' streams - http://speedrunslive.com/ - although unless they have something like "WR attempt" in the show name then you might find it'll just be someone playing the same 30 second sequence of a game over and over again

The most watchable of them is a guy called Cosmo Wright, who's very good at explaining the exploits and tricks he's using & the history behind their discovery - http://twitch.tv/cosmowright

• Upvote 1

Aye the speedrunners are kind of torturous. Cool when it comes together but usually it doesn't. Adam_AK who streams GTA III and Vice City runs is the only one I can stand to watch on a regular basis. Cosmo and a few of the other guys who run Ocarina of Time are pretty watchable too as that game is wonderfully broken, but I very rarely catch them on with the times they stream at.

I used to have Twitch on in the background a lot but of the other channels I only really find myself watching WShand and eg_floe these days as they're pretty entertaining and their chat never gets big enough to be completely intolerable.

I have SRL on in the background most days. Professorbroman and his Dishonored runs is one of my favs, along with zoast (the God of Super Metroid), Miles, Cosmo, Cirno etc.

Agreed on a fair few who just reset constantly, gets a bit dull but then that's the thing re: speed runs I suppose.

I recently got into streaming PC and console stuff on Twitch. Still learning but its a lot of fun. Did a largely blind Dark Souls run recently and going to be doing a blind Demon's Souls run soon.

I did have my own personal channel but myself and my flatmate decided just the other day to put a bit more effort in and team up (he had his own channel). We were going to import a HDCP stripper with some other gubbins - we still might - and do a 24 hour PS4 launch stream the cost of it all is getting a bit silly so we're not sure now. We've got quite a few plans on what we might be doing with the channel in the future but right now, we're still sorta finding out feet. It's all very new and scary.

I suppose if anyone is interested, you can have a look - http://www.twitch.tv/sievsdan

I've rarely used Twitch/Ustream.

As a potential viewer, what am I currently missing not watching these channels?

EDIT:

There was one time I went to Twitch to see the whats the fuss and I came across someone playing Ocarina of Time blindfolded. That was pretty funny.

I'm really interested in speedruns (speeddemosarchive and speedrunslive) so I watch quite a lot on Twitch. Not sure if you can get Roku streaming boxes in the UK, but if so there is an unofficial Twitch app that works great.

These are some of my favorite steams / runners (some been mentioned before)

Zoasty - Super Metroid god, holds the record for any% and 100%, great to watch.

cosmowright - Want to see someone beat Ocarina of Time on console in less than 20 mins? The great thing about Cosmo is his commentary, he explains everything during his runs and it's really interesting

cygfer - Insane Mega Man skills

milessmb - Great Metroid Prime runs

adam_ak - Mostly GTA3 and GTA:VC runs - amazing to see them completed so quickly

garrison_tt - Great Super Metroid player, and also runs a load of other obscure games, great to watch

siglemic - Mario 64 hero, skills are insane

kottpower - another great Super Metroid player

Those are just a few, well worth checking out if you are interested in speedrunning.

This is a great run by Zoast - Super Metroid 100% in 1:19 - its during a marathon so has commentary which explains a lot of the glitches / tricks used. He actually holds the 100% record at 1:17

• Upvote 4

A couple are currently using the PS4's Playroom as a vehicle for their own phone-in show. Adam Boyes, SCEA's Head of Publisher Relations, even rang up!

Zk3w8n9.png

I'm sure similar things have existed before, but it'll be interesting/scary to see what other curios are thrown up by streaming being so readily accessible on the new consoles, especially as popular streams are surfaced by the UI.

• Upvote 1