rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
MW_Jimmy

Next Gen Microtransactions - dissuading purchase since 2013

Considering the amount of content that has been chopped from Forza — i'd say this problem is even worse.

I'd go as far to say that I would rather grind for a bit than feel like I have to pay for everything, especially stuff that was there in the last gen without grind nor money.

Back to REZ HD I go.

If the gamers use the micro transactions then it will carry on being implemented into games. Personally I won't buy any game that ruins the experience through forcing you down the micro transaction route & expect you to pay £50 upfront for the game also.

It's a new idea in consoles & one I expect will be experimented with quite a bit over the next few years.

Forza has pay to speed up your progress? Wow. Welcome to the future.

Ultimate team is one thing...mind you the way EA implemented those tiger woods online stat-raising outfits (better buy one if you want to compete) was especially egregious.

It's disgusting yes, but then muppets keep stumping up cash to effectively not play a game they've paid for.

Or more accurately, to chop out the tedious grind that they wouldn't have to do if it wasn't implemented as an incentive to spend money.

• Upvote 1

I pretty much said this in the other thread already.

I'm not particularly a fan of 'freemium' games, but at least the microtransaction filled stuff on iOS and Android that spawned this practice are free (or very low in price).

To take that same funding model and apply it wholesale to games being sold for £50 (with expensive DLC on top - EA are already peddling £40 cards in store for BF4) is disgusting.

• Upvote 5

personally I see that as me not looking into a game beforehand to see if it has that kind of bollocks, If i cant be arsed to do the research then it's as much my fault as the companies.

Sooner or later it's going to bite the publishers/developers in the arse they can't expect gamers to pay £50 for a game £30 for a season pass & then another £20 for micro transactions. The games have to go free if not them I'll happily go back to a previous gen console that I have not fully enjoyed like the GameCube or Wii.

I've for a PS4 on preorder so let's see how this new gen plays out over the next few years.

Do they even put that there are microtransactions on the box? I reckon it should be front and centre.

Perhaps we, the good people of RLLMUK, could start a campaign! Take it to the very top! I can see it all now! We can start again! Under the ground!

EA really put a lot of effort into this over the last year or so, and I assume it has paid off for them. It's all about getting more and more cash out of the existing customers.

We must all resist this shit.

• Upvote 5

Sooner or later it's going to bite the publishers/developers in the arse they can't expect gamers to pay £50 for a game £30 for a season pass & then another £20 for micro transactions.

I'm not sure that's true. Gamers are awfully self-defeating.

EA really put a lot of effort into this over the last year or so, and I assume it has paid off for them. It's all about getting more and more cash out of the existing customers.

But didn't it kick up a shit storm when dead space 3 had micro transactions?

I'm not sure that's true. Gamers are awfully self-defeating.

That is my worry & if that is the case in a few years then it will leave me no choice but to walk away.

• Upvote 1

Damn right. I know that personally I will not buy a game that has these elements supported as it's the only way that publishers will get the message. If I'm in a predicament that I absolutely must buy it then it'll have to be second hand, but I suspect I already know that any game with these elements within, will adversely affect my enjoyment just by their presence.

• Upvote 1

I don't really care about people having the option to buy additional health packs or the like, money and fools and all that, but I fear it will result in a lot more games with excessive grinding, pushing people into micro transactions to lessen the pain.

Down with this kinda thing.

Damn right. I know that personally I will not buy a game that has these elements supported as it's the only way that publishers will get the message. If I'm in a predicament that I absolutely must buy it then it'll have to be second hand, but I suspect I already know that any game with these elements within, will adversely effect my enjoyment just by their presence.

I'll happily wait for game of the year edition releases to include the extra content & hopefully remove micro transactions.

I expect the developers/publishers don't yet know the best model so they will be testing the waters for a while with different combinations.

While I expect this kind of thing from EA, it's depressing to see one of the three console manufacturers jumping in feet first as well.

So this means that the entire time MS were planning on implementing their (now reversed) horrible DRM policies, they were also planning on gouging their customers even further with this kind of thing on games that could no longer be traded or sold.

• Upvote 3

The moment I saw DR3 have a season pass, I'm put off, not touching.

Hopefully I can get everything in Forza without paying.

Some people say it is simply a shortcut to eliminate the grind - I say, there should be no grind. Even before this perfectly great arcade games such as Ridge Racer 6, were completely crippled by grind when a short sharp focussed experience would have been far more valuable to all. It's the reason I will replay Plants Vs Zombies, yet never touch Plants Vs Zombies 2.

I think this was pretty much the excuse given as to why Grand Theft Auto Online has micro transactions. You can buy in-game money to avoid the grind, when they are the one that purposefully made the online experience to be a grind.

I think it affects multiplayer games more, it really puts me off playing when I'm trying to earn my shit then some fucker just bought all the top stuff and becomes a complete boss.

What's the point paying £40 for a game then pay £10, £20 or more to skip the whole game?

I think I saw a gif on NeoGAF for Bravely Default that advertises microtransactions in game! I could be wrong... I hope.

I think I saw a gif on NeoGAF for Bravely Default that advertises microtransactions in game! I could be wrong... I hope.

It does have them. It's a weird situation there where the game is a Square Enix-developed game, and they, like a lot of the other Japanese companies, really love their exploitative microtransactions... but Nintendo is publishing it in the west and it seems a bit sad if they're doing it too.

Copied from the XB1 thread:

I refuse to play games with any form of micro-transaction unlocking.

With F2P games it's fine as long as the purchases are only aesthetic in nature or can be unlocked after a bit of a grind, like in League of Legends or Hearthstone where there actually isn't any grind as such, and you are awarded currency for wins. I probably would have thrown Riot/Blizzard a few dollars regardless of any kind of a return as those games are pretty sick and I actually feel obliged to give a little back.

Micro-transactions in full price retail games? Naaaaahh, get to fuck!

The transactions in Crimson Dragon ..my god. What has happened to my hobby.

From the perspective of a "middle aged bloke with two kids, a busy job, limited personal leisure time which is shared with making music", if I read a review or forum comments which say that a game is "really grind-y" or which only becomes fun or digestible if you cough up for some of the add-ons, then I'll be giving it a miss at retail launch. I might pick it up later when it's cheap and I can build in the cost of the add-ons (like I did with Battlefield 3 and the Premium map packs), or if they release a "game of the year" edition which includes all the extra bits.

However, I completely refuse to pay 50 quid for a game and then another 20-30 quid in add-ons in order to either "get the full experience" (as with Battlefield), or to make the gameplay in line with my available leisure time.

Look at what id did with the Doom shareware release and how much content there was, and see where we've ended up. Does shareware cost 50 quid nowadays?

Naturally I wrinkle my nose at this kind of thing, but there is one exception: Mass Effect 3. The multiplayer item packs — which I never bought, despite putting many hours into the game — meant that the online mode was well supported with new maps, weapons, classes and all sorts for free. In that specific case I thought the model was a great fit.

Unfortunately the only message EA seems to have taken from the success of ME3's multiplayer is that people are willing to pay for random rolls, ignoring the vital 'give back to the community with free updates' aspect.

I'm kind of of the opinion that if people want to pay to skip the grind in your game, then your game is obviously not good enough. The "grind" should be balanced enough and the game should be balanced enough that players want to play it.

There's no way I'm ever going to pay for a game knowing there's (micro)transactions in it, and anyone paying nearly fifty quid for one is fucking insane. No one should be supporting this.

FYI - note the difference between (micro)transactions and low-priced DLC. Paying £1 for a new level or a character is still dubious at times, but it's very different to buying consumable ones like fucking "Jetons" which are only there to remove a grind which is only there because they can get away with charging to remove it.

• Upvote 2