IGNORED

Persona 5 | Persona 5 Royal | Multiformat release: 21/10/22 | New semester conditions in OP

Qazimod

I feel like it could be a bit more economical with its storytelling. It has a tendency to really labour the point at times, and then continues to labour the point past the point at which the point has been well and truly established. 

E.g without going into spoilers I feel like it's spent way too long establishing that no-one wants to talk about a certain individual and it's continued to spend lots and lots of time and dialogue ramming this home way past the point where it's necessary. I get it, people are scared and no-one's going to talk, let me get on with things. It feels like it needs a good editor in places.

My last session largely consisted of study, work and chit-chat. It's moments like this where the game would be so much better on Switch (or Vita) which would allow you to do all that while stuck on a boring train journey.

2 minutes ago, DC07 said:

My last session largely consisted of study, work and chit-chat. It's moments like this where the game would be so much better on Switch (or Vita) which would allow you to do all that while stuck on a boring train journey.

It would still be boring

12 minutes ago, DC07 said:

Yeah, the stuff like studying, weeding the garden etc. is perfect for those 10 minutes you're waiting for the soup to boil.

It's here :omg:I've waited over three freaking years for this. More than that if we start counting days since I finished P4 on PS2.

I've tried my best to avoid this thread but hopefully I can get involved in discussion a bit more.

The games have multiple endings, NG+, and trophies that are almost impossible to get in one run (unless you defeat the purpose by following a guide from the very start). In that sense they're designed for multiple playthroughs; at least, by people who are into that sort of thing - the 'fast forward dialogue' option is intended for second-runners, not for players who find the conversations and other non-combat interactions boring in the first place. They'd be better off avoiding the game altogether.

1 hour ago, Majora said:

I feel like it could be a bit more economical with its storytelling. It has a tendency to really labour the point at times, and then continues to labour the point past the point at which the point has been well and truly established. 

E.g without going into spoilers I feel like it's spent way too long establishing that no-one wants to talk about a certain individual and it's continued to spend lots and lots of time and dialogue ramming this home way past the point where it's necessary. I get it, people are scared and no-one's going to talk, let me get on with things. It feels like it needs a good editor in places.

your right  I feel the same.

That is to say, I agree with you as I too feel what you feel.

To be clear I agree with what your saying about a tendency to really hammer home the point.

So, just remember, I understand what your trying to say because I feel the same.

It's probably my biggest gripe with the whole thing.

The velvet room turned up as a V on the map somewhere and as I ran up to the location where you could quite clearly see the velvet room entrance. "oh ok so thats how I go to the velvet room then, i'll just walk passed it to get to this shop over here....." I thought, but then it sucks you into the velvet room to initiate a dialogue with Igor about how this is the entrance to the velvet room and you can visit it anytime. it then spit you out after. I meanI kinda figured it out already! Who are these people who wouldn't have?

14 hours ago, MikeF said:

Mine says shipping today and arriving tomorrow.  Not sure if it makes a difference or not but I am a Prime member

Yup, mine just arrived. I now have a choice between this and Nier when I finally finish Zelda. So much for Western developers.

1 hour ago, Talk Show Host said:

So, no-one has played a heavy narrative jrpg before or watched an anime? emoji14.png

I'm not sure that excuses it for being so verbose though. It might just be during the tutorial phase (e.g. the first 6 hours of the game) but it does frequently say more than it has to. It's not rare to have several speech prompts in a row just saying the same thing but slightly reworded.

1 hour ago, Talk Show Host said:

So, no-one has played a heavy narrative jrpg before or watched an anime? emoji14.png

I think you're right that it's probably a Japanese thing but I don't think that necessarily excuses it. Overly verbose and long-winded storytelling is an issue no matter where the game originates from. 

I do like the game from what I've played so far, but I think I'm perhaps slightly disappointed that a series which receives so many plaudits for its storytelling is not turning out to be particularly subtle or understated. It really, REALLY wants you to understand every bit of subtext and nuance and will repeat it until you damn well get it, even if it was eminently understandable the first time.

I love the concept, I love the surrealism and off the wall nature, I like the characters, some of the dialogue is pretty decent (although bits of the translation are clunky). The battle system seems like it could be fun once it lets the leash off. I just wish it respected the player's ability to understand what's going on a bit more, the knock-on effect being that the pace would quicken a bit and some of the dialogue would be more natural. Slow pacing can be fine if it's in aid of something but not so much if it's just repeating what's already been made more than clear.

I thought there were some mundane parts in P4G too. While the social stuff and advancing the story is nice, there are some slow spells where you can do little more than homework, go to the cinema or pull carrots and the like, waiting for a new dungeon to open. While these are important moments to do sidequests and strengthen the social bonds in your party, the dungeon crawling and demon fusing feels like the real meat of the game.

I think you're right that it's probably a Japanese thing but I don't think that necessarily excuses it. Overly verbose and long-winded storytelling is an issue no matter where the game originates from. 

I do like the game from what I've played so far, but I think I'm perhaps slightly disappointed that a series which receives so many plaudits for its storytelling is not turning out to be particularly subtle or understated. It really, REALLY wants you to understand every bit of subtext and nuance and will repeat it until you damn well get it, even if it was eminently understandable the first time.

I love the concept, I love the surrealism and off the wall nature, I like the characters, some of the dialogue is pretty decent (although bits of the translation are clunky). The battle system seems like it could be fun once it lets the leash off. I just wish it respected the player's ability to understand what's going on a bit more, the knock-on effect being that the pace would quicken a bit and some of the dialogue would be more natural. Slow pacing can be fine if it's in aid of something but not so much if it's just repeating what's already been made more than clear.

I think you are comparing it to western storytelling techniques, which, while fair, also misses the point. Compared to other jrpgs it is on another level when it comes to storytelling and characterization. Miles ahead of anything that SE has produced recently.

Also, do not forget the fact that very few companies in the west actually know how to create scenes and characters, so the flaws of the Japanese way are not so over the top. I would take a Persona's detailed characterization, with all its anime flaws, any day of the week compared to contrived western entries like the recent Torment or most of BioWare's stuff.

But anyway, one hour till I start this baby up. [emoji4]

Wasn't one of the problems with Torment that the writing was too verbose? I hate to break it to you but you may be disappointed when you play Persona 5.

Not really, they have nothing in common in the way they use their writing techniques. Persona games have always been verbose, but that is to be expected because it is an eastern cultural approach, you either like it or you don't. I personally do not mind it if the game is good.

Torment is on the west where we have advanced on a different level. While persona looks modern by japanese writing standards, torment looks like a relic from the past. But that also happens because its structure is old and archaic.

• Qazimod changed the title to Persona 5 | Persona 5 Royal | Multiformat release: 21/10/22 | New semester conditions in OP