Persona 5 | Persona 5 Royal | New semester conditions: in OP | Spaceport boss advice: throughout the thread

Qazimod

I got P5 on release and it didn’t gel with me at all. Gave up after a couple of palaces and forgot about the game entirely. 
Due to lockdown boredom I decided to give it another go and this time I got hooked. What a lovely story with a touching ending.

I might get Royal for a playthrough in the future.

The tricky thing is knowing if you'll like it or not. If you do end up enjoying it, you'd be missing out if you stuck with the original - the QOL improvements are significant, and while the extra chapter feels a bit bolted on, the new characters are integrated very well, and add a lot.

But if you don't end up liking the design, you'll regret paying for it. And, frankly, it is the weakest of the PS2+ era Persona games - not mechanically, where it excels, but in terms of writing - which makes it harder to easily recommend. Just a shame that P4G needs a Vita or PC, and P3 FES needs a PS2 or PS3 :(

12 hours ago, Calashnikov said:

I still don’t know what to do re: paying money to play Royal, or pay nothing and play Vanilla via PS+ :wacko:

Try P5 vanilla for free, and treat it as a demo. Don’t go past the first palace, and if you do like it, buy Royal.

:D

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...

There’s a DLC sale on at the moment. This P5R Battle Bundle caught my eye:

7D02F442-FFFD-46FD-A297-ABBFB139AE17.thumb.jpeg.b8575ca2e64aa5da88f6bc896e1d02d6.jpeg

Does anybody know what the Battle/Exploration Assist Packs do? Do they make battles any easier?

After getting 30ish hours into P5 and drifting away onto something else, I picked up P5R over Christmas and started it again, putting in about 25 hours until I - guess what - drifted onto something else. I dunno, I preferred the slightly monotonous dungeons of P3 and P4, I think? As odd as that sounds.

I find this game punishes you for not knowing the weakness of each enemy in advance, so I end up looking them up online, which becomes a little tiresome really, especially as the name of the enemy isn’t fully revealed at first. Anything that ‘assists’ in ‘battle’ and makes my life easier would pull me back in I think.

Otherwise, how does everyone else go about it? Does everyone really go through all of their attacks when they encounter a new enemy, trying to find the weakness?

1 hour ago, Paulando said:

Does everyone really go through all of their attacks when they encounter a new enemy, trying to find the weakness?

Sort of. If it’s an enemy that isn’t a massive threat or a timesink, I’ll analyse them again and see if I there are any elements I can use that haven’t been tried yet. But sometimes I’ll just want to make progress and use whatever does damage.

I treat the gun attack as a nice freebie, as you can change targets and quickly rule out gun weaknesses. But I feel like exploiting weaknesses is more important than ever in this game because it’s one of the only ways you can begin negotiating.

• 2 weeks later...

Not sure where to put this, but the series’ 25th anniversary celebrations begin today. It sounds like they’re being kind of upfront about the reveals this time, rather than the usual countdowns to countdowns… :P 

The Persona series is celebrating its 25th anniversary, the first game in the series, Megami Ibunroku Persona (Revelations: Persona) was released September 20, 1996 on PS1. Atlus made several announcements for the occasion:

All the Persona anime will be coming to VOD services in Japan: The Persona Trinity Soul series, the Persona 3 movies, The Persona 4 and Persona 4 Golden TV series, and the Persona 5 The Animation TV series and its specials.

Next, Tokyo Game Show 2021 will feature a mini YouTube live concert with Lyn on October 3. Following next, the Persona 25th Anniversary Orchestra Concert will be held on November 21, 2021. We might get some teaser over there, maybe a glimpse of the hair or back of the Persona 6 protagonist or something.

Lastly, the past stage play Persona 5 The Stage and the previous concert Persona Super Live will be streams or not. Altus already teased the final, big 25th anniversary announcement, probably a Persona 6 reveal, is in Autumn 2022. Five more announcements will be coming before then, with the next one planned for December 2021

DualShockers

Anyone used to these events could have guessed this kind of non-announcement, but there will be more announcements between now and, uh, next Autumn. :rolleyes: I already made a dedicated P6 thread a little while ago, so any (credible) info can be posted over here

• 11 months later...

The Extended Play promotion comes to PlayStation Store on Wednesday, August 31. From then until Wednesday, September 14, you can enjoy discounts across special editions and DLC of select games, including Supermassive Games’ horror The Quarry, online co-op adventure Outriders and many more. 

https://blog.playstation.com/2022/08/30/extended-play-promotion-comes-to-playstation-store-3/

P5R Deluxe Edition is in the sale at 70% off (£16.49, down from £54.99). The Deluxe Edition contains the game and the “Persona®5 Royal Kasumi Costume Bundle” (a bundle of "over 4 sets of cosmetic items for Kasumi".)

https://store.playstation.com/en-gb/product/EP0177-CUSA17419_00-PERSONA5RDELUXUE

So I mentioned in the ports news thread that I've been playing this again - my nephew wanted to check it out so I made a new save for him, but also I took it as an excuse to make a new save for myself. :P I cleared the spaceport last night and kind of had my opinions flipped on it a bit, which is why I'm posting.

For one: the airlock minigame in Okumura's palace is... fine. I've transitioned from irrational loathing to grudging acceptance. :D It seems daunting at first because you don't necessarily know how the switches are going to change where you're able to go - but because your options are always so limited, there are only so many ways you can reconfigure the layout each time. So eventually you'll get there. I still think it breaks the pace a little, but it's not like you're dedicating your life to these airlocks. So I'm a bit more chill about that now - all of my loathing was instead reserved for the boss of Okumura's palace.

Firstly, all of the grief I suffered was eliminated after levelling and fusing more demons, so it's no biggie, but the "rules" of the battle can mess with you a little. Without giving away too much, you're tasked with wiping out waves of smaller enemies before you can start attacking the boss, and the whole battle has a time limit. The smaller enemies all have elemental affinities so it'll involve more Velvet Room prep than you've done so far in the game (also, on this playthrough I was lacking Hifumi's "party member switch on any turn" skill - accidental hard mode activated.) What I had forgotten is that each wave has a time limit as well. After a few rounds of turns Okumura will send an execution order and kill off a smaller enemy who's on low health, and if he gets the kills in that wave, it doesn't count towards your "progress" in the battle. You have to fight the same wave again, wasting valuable time. I only got around it with the aforementioned levelling and Velvet Room prep, but it wasn't massively time-consuming.

I finished the palace last night, so I'll be at the more interesting plot developments soon, but I feel like I need to make mental notes for when the ports are released so that I have a smoother experience. :D 

Royal simplified the airlocks puzzle, I think. I remember there being fewer combinations anyway.

If you know what's coming for the boss of the palace, it's much less frustrating cos at least you can prepare your personas. I think the game expected you to constantly be fusing, which is frustrating because you'd have to seriously grind to level up your personas enough to unlock all their abilities or spend a load of money on fusing them from the lowest level demons while having high social links.

That said, I'm really looking forward to replaying this on Switch - I got the platinum in one playthrough but I don't think I maximised all the extra bonuses at all.

I've reached the end of the cruise ship now. I messed up the rat maze again - I overlooked one or two crucial duct placements - but it was much less of a sticking point than I remember. I still need to do calling card stuff, but this playthrough isn't going too badly (under-levelled boss attempts excepted. :D )

Oof. The bag's nice, I guess? 🤔

On 04/09/2022 at 09:09, Qazimod said:

So I mentioned in the ports news thread that I've been playing this again - my nephew wanted to check it out so I made a new save for him, but also I took it as an excuse to make a new save for myself. :P I cleared the spaceport last night and kind of had my opinions flipped on it a bit, which is why I'm posting.

Finished my 5R replay :D - I think my hour count (high 70s) and level (99) were pretty much the same as before! Again, the final final boss wasn't nearly as much trouble as the battle before it, but going in prepared with more of José's recovery items (Somas, Soul Food) made things much easier, so I'll definitely work on that in the October release (if my PC specs are up to it.) I also activated hard mode by not unlocking Hifumi's party member switch; it would have been nice to have more skills available to hit weaknesses with. 🙃

12 minutes ago, Paulando said:

Does it have extra stuff?

I haven't seen any hints that this will be anything other than a straight port, but they might publish more details between now and release. I think 4K/60 is a thing though, because that really matters in your turn-based RPG. 🤔

E: and modding potential on PC, I guess.

• 4 weeks later...

Ah shit, here we go again:

Interestingly, this isn't the same statement as the vanilla P5 one - that asked you not to stream past 7/7; this one restricts streaming from 12/12. As daft as they are, these threats guidelines should be taken seriously, of course, so watch out. And it'll result in a purer experience where the only means of sharing information about the game's story on the internet will be helpfully regulated. :sherlock:

2 minutes ago, Stoppy2000 said:

I might. Depends how easily you could do this without any spoilers? 

well when I first started playing Persona, the things I needed to wrap my head around were the calendar structure of the game, the persona switching and fusion, the social links and the way traits work. none of those spoil anything and i'd encourage you to just experiment with what suits you outside of understanding those basic elements of Persona

• Qazimod changed the title to Persona 5 | Persona 5 Royal | New semester conditions: in OP | Spaceport boss advice: throughout the thread