Persona 5 | Persona 5 Royal | New semester conditions: in OP | Spaceport boss advice: throughout the thread

Qazimod

2 hours ago, SMD said:

would anyone find it useful if we shared some of the stuff you should think about when playing persona for the first time?

I'm happy to add any info to the OP if you have something in mind, but I feel like 5 does a pretty good job of tutorialising players with the elemental weaknesses, use of spare time, and especially all of the new concepts in 5 (baton pass, gun modification, the new Velvet Room things.)

I'll admit that my existing advice in the OP is just for optimal dungeon crawling and getting to the new semester. I don't mind adding some more general info to the OP if people want to share their suggestions.

so for example, one of the things that took me a while to learn is the art of Persona fusion. the game explains how fusions work and what the result is but it leaves it up to you to figure out how to fuse the strongest Persona you can.

So my advice would be level up your Persona as much as possible, save optional fusions for when you get higher level social links and that once you get the hang of fusing, you'll be able to grandfather in desirable traits from lower ranking Persona to higher ranking ones.

It's always better to fuse a Persona than to catch it in the wild.

I guess one thing that might be unusual to new players is that each dungeon (named Palaces in the game) has a deadline of in-game days to complete it. (The time remaining before the deadline is indicated in the corner of the screen at a certain point after a dungeon is discovered, so there's no need to take notes.) There are lots of things you can distract yourself with outside of a dungeon, but most of these activities will result in the passage of time. The deadlines are often quite generous, so don't sweat it too much, but keep it in mind. Also, you can't try and complete a dungeon in the space of one in-game day because resources for replenishing what would be your mana or MP are (initially) very hard to come by.

(Besides all of that, dungeon-crawling is a massively beneficial use of your time anyway - money and experience comes in fast, you potentially gain more items and demons, and each dungeon has checkpoints you can teleport between.)

On 16/10/2022 at 09:34, Qazimod said:

Ah shit, here we go again:

Interestingly, this isn't the same statement as the vanilla P5 one - that asked you not to stream past 7/7; this one restricts streaming from 12/12. As daft as they are, these threats guidelines should be taken seriously, of course, so watch out. And it'll result in a purer experience where the only means of sharing information about the game's story on the internet will be helpfully regulated. :sherlock:

Considering the reason I got into Persona at all was because of the Giantbomb Endurance Run of Persona 4, I find these decisions by Atlus frustrating as hell. This could help build a bigger fanbase ffs.

1 hour ago, Simmy said:

Is there any benefit to doing that as opposed to direct from Steam?

I'm not familiar with the humble thing.

Not particularly - it all unlocks in the same way. I think Humble has its own account/wallet thing, so there's a potential "saving" if you have spare Humble credit hanging around.

Well, it runs. :) I was slightly nervous about the specs because I have a bit of a potato PC now (i7 3770k @ 3.4Ghz, 8GB Ram, GTX 1660) but I had a quick look at the opening flash-forward and the basic initial open world travel and it seems fine. The only thing I noticed was a bit of frame stutter in the battle transition, but I can live with that.

11 minutes ago, Arn X Treme said:

Just booted this up and I like the look of the Stand you have during the tutorial.

Also, and I'm going to spoiler this in case but:-

Hide contents

Is one of those darkened characters from the intro / tutorial Kanji from Persona 4?

It looks a lot like him. 

did you want an answer or is that just you musing out loud?

1 minute ago, Arn X Treme said:

Sorry I'd like an answer if you know please? 

I never finished the previous one after my Vita had issues, should I watch a YouTube summary or do they not carry on?

Spoiler

There's no connection to Persona 4 other than a handful of series references and reoccurring tropes. The darkened characters will be revealed later. You don't need to have played any of Persona 4 to enjoy 5's story.

1 minute ago, SMD said:

Hide contents

There's no connection to Persona 4 other than a handful of series references and reoccurring tropes. The darkened characters will be revealed later. You don't need to have played any of Persona 4 to enjoy 5's story.

Thank you very much!

• Qazimod changed the title to Persona 5 | Persona 5 Royal | New semester conditions: in OP | Spaceport boss advice: throughout the thread