IGNORED

Persona 5 | Persona 5 Royal | New semester conditions in OP

Qazimod

Just started the 2nd dungeon and acquired the 

Spoiler

Pussy Wagon

Amazing :wub:

I think someone mentioned previously that you had to re-enter button commands to repeat a skill on multiple enemies. You can just press R1 and it will target the next one with the same spell and then just requires a press (or 2?) of x

The slow narrative build up and drip feed tutorial approach is totally a Japanese thing. Kojima has even commented on it before stating that western gamers 'don't get' the slow build up. I think it's derived from Japanese player's not being quite as utterly impatient and wanting everything immediately like their western counterparts. 

Why not live and breath in this fictitious world for a bit eh? 

Another Japanese trait that I feel ties in with this is a lot of post game content. Different ways to play the game again once completed for the first time. A lot of effort put in by the developers to tune their hard modes just right, like Bayonetta... each mode is a complete rework. 

I've done one or two minibosses in the first palace now and my first impressions are that it's familiar but still fun. The stealth isn't as bad as I feared (at least here in the beginning) as patrols are less random than in previous games, and there's a clear cue for when you're in ambush range. Also negotiations seem a lot more straightforward than Revelations: Persona so that's kind of fun too.

I don't feel like things have opened up totally just yet, but then in P4 you were led along by the game until Yukiko's Castle, so I'm happy to wait... :) 

I feel like it could be a bit more economical with its storytelling. It has a tendency to really labour the point at times, and then continues to labour the point past the point at which the point has been well and truly established. 

E.g without going into spoilers I feel like it's spent way too long establishing that no-one wants to talk about a certain individual and it's continued to spend lots and lots of time and dialogue ramming this home way past the point where it's necessary. I get it, people are scared and no-one's going to talk, let me get on with things. It feels like it needs a good editor in places.

This has been the case with all of the spin off titles, so the Arena games, Dancing All Night and Shadows of the Labyrinth

56 minutes ago, Kevvy Metal said:

I think it's derived from Japanese player's not being quite as utterly impatient and wanting everything immediately like their western counterparts. 

This is so, so patronising and emblematic of the absolute worst of gamer snobbery when it comes to deifying Japanese culture.

I'm quite capable of enjoying slow paced stories and games thank you very much. I'm less tolerant of stories that ram every possible plot point down my throat five times because it assumes I'm thick or forgetful, and does not grant me the opportunity to infer anything from the script because it explains everything in laborious, paragraph long detail.

If that makes me an impatient *spit* westerner then so be it. It's more than obvious you basically hate this forum because people voice their thoughts and it isn't a positive echo chamber of whatever game you're playing at the moment. Why you post here anymore I have no idea.

3 minutes ago, Majora said:

This is so, so patronising and emblematic of the absolute worst of gamer snobbery when it comes to deifying Japanese culture.

I'm quite capable of enjoying slow paced stories and games thank you very much. I'm less tolerant of stories that ram every possible plot point down my throat five times because it assumes I'm thick or forgetful, and does not grant me the opportunity to infer because it explains everything in laborious, paragraph long detail.

If that makes me an impatient *spit* westerner than so be it. It's more than obvious you basically hate this forum because people voice their thoughts and it isn't a positive echo chamber of whatever game you're playing at the moment. Why you post here anymore I have no idea.

Wohoooooooo! Steady on Blondie! Lower those smoking guns! 

That wasn't a direct jib at yourself at all! I often enjoy your post contributions for what it's worth! 

Yeah, I moan a lot about some of the attitudes on this forum, that's because it's full of a lot of shit-posting idiots who seem to think the internet is their agony aunt to complain at when they're shit at a game. 

But not everyone here! It's often a swell place of fun and frolics. 

The introduction to this is amazing. The sense of place, the little stealth moves, the coolness and style, the music... English VO are really good, which is quite a surprise.

The whole thing starts with great pace and mystery. Also, main character talks in the anime portions for now, which makes a ton of difference.

Atlus have really upped their game here. :wub:

"Its time!"

At the end of the first palace (calling card time). After the (minor) fuck up the other night, its been a bit of a breeze to be honest. Lvl 11 though, so that might have something to do with it, though not been grinding or anything.

Also unlocked all chests after levelling up proficiency the night before at the batting cage, and then crafting 2 lockpicks at once all MacGyver style.

3 hours ago, Kevvy Metal said:

The slow narrative build up and drip feed tutorial approach is totally a Japanese thing. Kojima has even commented on it before stating that western gamers 'don't get' the slow build up. I think it's derived from Japanese player's not being quite as utterly impatient and wanting everything immediately like their western counterparts. 

Why not live and breath in this fictitious world for a bit eh? 

I'm all for that (except for the "dirty westerners" part) but a lot of the repetitious dialogue doesn't actually add anything new to the world or expand things in anyway. There are times when it really is just telling you the same message but reworded. It's not that big a deal, it's just exacerbated a little when the pace of the game overall is very slow early on. 

Am I missing something with the player experience gained at the end of a fight? It seems really low and I'm already quite under leveled compared to the average user (I'm 6, they're 8). Even early on I was somehow a level behind and all I'd done were scripted fights!

Also, I seem to remember reading a new story about how there would be $60 or so of cosmetic DLC available day one. Is that not the case then? I can't find any, just a few dynamic themes and avatar sets. 

I do dislike the Ambush mechanic. It's happened to me twice now and both times the four enemies have focused on the same person. The first time those 4 attacks were on the protagonist, he died (from full health) and that sent me to a game over screen - the second time they killed a party member and started damaging another. 

My Take Your Heart CE arrived from Amazon today and as usual once I'd taken the game out I couldn't get everything back in the box with the cover shutting properly. The plush has been dumped on a shelf for now.

I'm an hour into the game and it's definitely a lot darker and more hostile than P4 so far. 

I need some tips please - I think currently its GAME OVER for me as I've tried about 5 times. 

I'm on the 3F of the first palace, in the safe room. We talk tactics, we are all pretty fucked at this point, one character says we still have 14 days. The Cat says we shouldn't overdo it. My character though thinks we should press on, there is no option but to continue. 

We are pretty much out of items. And SP, nothing at all to bring some of that back. 

Around 5 times I've left the safe room on 3F, tried and died at various later points around the floor when the team is at rock bottom. I have nothing left 

What now?

2 minutes ago, Mr Ben said:

You do realise you can leave the palace by going back to the entrance right? You get all your SP back for another try another day.

I'm 3 floors up, and if i am not mistaken the enemies regenerate after either going into a safe room or saving there. 

I won't make it out alive ?

12 minutes ago, englishbob said:

I need some tips please - I think currently its GAME OVER for me as I've tried about 5 times. 

I'm on the 3F of the first palace, in the safe room. We talk tactics, we are all pretty fucked at this point, one character says we still have 14 days. The Cat says we shouldn't overdo it. My character though thinks we should press on, there is no option but to continue. 

We are pretty much out of items. And SP, nothing at all to bring some of that back. 

Around 5 times I've left the safe room on 3F, tried and died at various later points around the floor when the team is at rock bottom. I have nothing left 

What now?

Quicktravel to entrance. Exit castle. Return home. Stock up on essentials and return to the castle entrance. Quicktravel to 3F saferoom! Solved!

When they said you have X amount of time to get this done I was like "why...I'll just go do it now" but then you realise the structure of the game is very much do some, take a break and go about the daily routine then go do some more.

4 visits to the palace and I'm about to finish it.

9 minutes ago, Harrisown said:

When they said you have X amount of time to get this done I was like "why...I'll just go do it now" but then you realise the structure of the game is very much do some, take a break and go about the daily routine then go do some more.

4 visits to the palace and I'm about to finish it.

The other games followed that pattern for me - in P3 I'd always reach a barrier with plenty of days to spare, and in P4 I'd finish a rescue before any rain. I'm trying to prioritise the palace here too (and having a daily countdown in the corner only makes me fret more :P ) but I'm confident that it's balanced to give players enough time.

Also to prevent losing progress, going back to a save room after a while can never hurt. Basically play the game assuming every fight can kill you (And be happy they dropped the instant death moves).

Am another couple of hours in now.

They've done a terrific job of making me like and care about the characters.

THAT BASTARD KAMOSHIDA MUST PAY!

The chilled out pace of storytelling feels quite refreshing, a nice way to relax after a long day at the office.