IGNORED

Persona 5 | Persona 5 Royal | New semester conditions in OP

Qazimod

If you have a PC that's up to the job you could try PCSX2, although I've never tested it myself.

I prefer Portable purely for the option of direct commands in battles, but FeMC is a nice addition, and the cursor navigation makes it feel a little quicker in my mind. :P 

I've been working my way through the Ultimate Edition for the last few months now and while I have really enjoyed the presentation and most of the mechanics (the enforced bedtimes can be annoying), I am finding it all quite repetitive now.

After about 30 hours of playtime, I've done three palaces and am currently around lvl 30-ish. I see there are exams coming up soon (within days), does it open up a little more during or after the summer? If not, I think I might drop it and move onto something else in my pile of shame. I have enjoyed what I've played so far, but it is beginning to feel a bit of slog due to the templated nature of the palaces and drip feeding of the story. For what it's worth, this is my first time playing a Persona title. I tend to only play games in 30mins bursts these days so that's why it's taken me ages to even get this far.

1 minute ago, 11 Herbs 'n' Spices said:

I've been working my way through the Ultimate Edition for the last few months now and while I have really enjoyed the presentation and most of the mechanics (the enforced bedtimes can be annoying), I am finding it all quite repetitive now.

After about 30 hours of playtime, I've done three palaces and am currently around lvl 30-ish. I see there are exams coming up soon (within days), does it open up a little more during or after the summer? If not, I think I might drop it and move onto something else in my pile of shame. I have enjoyed what I've played so far, but it is beginning to feel a bit of slog due to the templated nature of the palaces and drip feeding of the story. For what it's worth, this is my first time playing a Persona title. I tend to only play games in 30mins bursts these days so that's why it's taken me ages to even get this far.

In the new version the pacing sounds like its been massively improved. Enforced bedtimes for one is gone, you can do stuff to raise stats on those days as well. But if it's not hugely grabbing you then that may not change. Things like the palaces have been tightened up, there are more ways to restore SP now so you can do more of a palace in one go, and from the reviews it seems like the Royal version is definitely a step up from the original.

You might be better by grabbing something else from the pile of shame and then trying Royal in the future when it inevitable drops its price.

Getting properly excited now. Had some Amazon credit so ordered the Skull and Panther Funko pops. I'm sure my 14 year old will describe them as 'cringe' but I like having the figures about. Did the same with Evan and Tani for Ni No Kuni 2 last year when I immersed myself in that game during a difficult time. 

A6T6fzi.jpg

Woo, my copy has just arrived (courtesy of ShopTo). I’m technically still “at work” at the moment but the weekend entertainment is sorted... :wub: 

(Also we’re kind of planning for a house move over here so I intend to binge on as much of this as possible before everything is in boxes... :P )

2 hours ago, max renn said:

Slightly OT but I've completed the Vanilla P5 and am itching to get this BUT..I've got Tokyo Mirage sessions on my pile of shame.

What to do hive mind?

If you've got Tokyo Mirage Sessions sat there, give it a whirl. It's similar but different enough that you'll probably enjoy it. 

And it's an awesome game to boot. 

Sorry if it has been asked before but I've got P5 but haven't played it. I've just got P5 Royal Edition.

Is it worth playing the original or just skip it and go straight for the royal edition?

I've heard that they have changed a lot with the new edition so would that make it different enough to play through both? 

You may as well play Royal which is an extended version of the original with new locations and characters but the same main story. The updates aren’t always popular, I know some people didn’t like the changes in Persona 4 Golden, but if you’ve never played it before you may as well go for the complete version.

I’d jump straight to Royal - from first impressions it seems to do everything the original did and add extra bits.

I completed Kamoshida’s palace last night but didn’t hang around to find every Will Seed, so... oops. Also some of the stuff you get from having a vanilla P5 save present will disappear fast if you’re like me!

Spoiler

There are some revival and recovery items, which you may be able to hang on to if you’re familiar with the original - however, you also get about ¥50’000, which you’ll quickly burn through for guns, weapons and armour :P 

Post pics when it arrives!

I've cleared Kaneshiro's palace, which wasn't too dissimilar from before, but I rushed in a bit against some stronger enemies, which wasn't the best idea... :blush: Still, I've got Makoto and Yusuke in my party now, and they were pretty much essential for most of the original game. Aaand it's still dropping new gameplay tweaks on me, such as Showtime moves* and Fusion alarms** so there's a lot to figure out.

I've had some scenes with Kasumi as well, but they seem to happen automatically at the moment; I haven't really found many opportunities where I can choose to hang out with her (maybe one or two phone invites but no physical meetups.) We'll see.

Oh, and Disaster Shadows are amazing. Risky, but amazing.

Spoiler

special attacks unlocked at certain character dates that require specific pairs of people in your party, and which activate when certain actions happen in battle (such as baton passes)

Spoiler

randomly triggered Velvet Room events that allow fused demons to have enhanced stats, new skills etc

Amazon have shipped my LE and it scheduled to arrive tomorrow which would be the first time I have ever had a game early from them. I did consider getting it digitally considering how much of a time sink P5 was but I'm a sucker for a good art book and unlike other LE this one is actually a decent size and not just an expanded manual. 

So after playing a bit more I get the feeling that you can't really "miss" Kasumi's confidant events as long as you keep answering her messages, so you don't really run into the problem of "wait, they show up on this street on this day during the evening and I never knew until I was almost done?!" that you sometimes had with 3 and 4. :D Also, spoilers for the length of her confidant arc:

Spoiler

it has five ranks instead of the usual ten, and I'm already close to wrapping it up. That said, this could be something similar to when the Fool S.Link in P4 reaches rank ten and then initiates the Judgement S.Link at rank one?

So we'll see what happens there.

Very tired but having a quick go on this. That title sequence is amazing. Intrigued to try out all the dlc but won’t be able do that for a bit. Doesn’t look like the P5 dlc is showing up for free yet though. Or maybe I’m not doing something right

Link for the DLC

https://store.playstation.com/en-gb/product/EP0177-CUSA17419_00-P5RDLCBUNDLE0001

I'd forgotten about the little touches in the opening couple of hours, being able to see and listen to characters you will meet later on. I only just figured out who the voice was that talks to you when the butterfly appears....

Have to say though, the opening section does take some getting through and I could see why some people were turned off by it.

30 minutes ago, wev said:

Jealous

So many costumes to try as well. It's a shame you can't set the Battle Music to be random like in PQ2 but there you go! 

Graphic seem to be improved as well, so nice lighting effects and the character models look sharper. Going through Kamoshida's palace now, and realised I've completely forgotten how to jump into cover, hence being back on the computer now to check!

A quick warning: apparently there’s some missable stuff depending on your confidant progress at certain dates - this shouldn’t be much of a spoiler to anyone familiar with P5 (or even P4) but Royal seems to have stuff gated behind a few prerequisites, and I’ve only just found this out online despite being pretty far in (so I may already be boned :P ) Worth checking out if you don’t want to miss stuff... (just google “how to get persona royal ending” or something.)