Persona 5 | Persona 5 Royal | Now available for everything | New semester conditions in OP

Qazimod

4 hours ago, Talk Show Host said:

I don't think a Persona game has ever been released in a Nintendo platform, they are Sony exclusives, aren't they? Usually the spin offs get released, like Shin Megame Tensei. I think SMT 5 is coming on the Switch.

There was this rant-y tweet by former Atlus PR guy John Hardin asking people to stop begging for a Switch P5 release and that it wasn’t happening... but then that was the former PR ;)

Mainline SMT seems to have found a home on Nintendo hardware with numbered Persona titles historically being released on Sony machines. I guess things can change if there’s a deal (with Sony and Nintendo) going on that only lasts a limited time, or if Sony’s userbase plummets (I mean, the Vita’s getting new Persona dancing games and the handheld’s been dead for some time, so who knows what they’re doing ;) )

1 hour ago, Talk Show Host said:

Was P3 released on a Nintendo console? 

Nope. You are right in that no Persona games (other than PQ) have been on a Nintendo system, but again afaik there's no exclusivity deal, just developer preference/fan base preference.

And as for SMT there's the numbered entries plus various other titles that come under the umbrella,P3 had enough success for the title to be removed (and actually the PS2 release of Persona 4 has Shin Megami Tensei on its front cover).

23 minutes ago, wev said:

Nope. You are right in that no Persona games (other than PQ) have been on a Nintendo system, but again afaik there's no exclusivity deal, just developer preference/fan base preference.

And as for SMT there's the numbered entries plus various other titles that come under the umbrella,P3 had enough success for the title to be removed (and actually the PS2 release of Persona 4 has Shin Megami Tensei on its front cover).

The exclusivity deal may not apply in a general way but it certainly is in effect from game to game. P5 and Yakuza 0, for example, are Sony exclusives and Atlus has confirmed this. If that means that this kind of exclusivity is easier to break than normal, I don't know (but I hope so - P5 looks like a perfect game for the Switch). But as things stand, Persona 5 is a Sony exclusive (SMT5 is in development for the Switch though, is it not?)

2 hours ago, Mrs Horribleman said:

Do you have to do mementos?

Short answer: yes, ultimately.

Long answer (wrapped in spoilers but I'm not really mentioning specifics):

Spoiler

There's an event later on where you have to explore Mementos down to a certain depth, so it helps to get as much of it "cleared" as possible so that you have less to do when you're required to visit. Also, outside of the main story...

Spoiler

you may be required to visit Mementos as part of certain Confidant arcs.

• 3 weeks later...
5 minutes ago, Vorgot said:

Am about to start this as I am nearing the end of Danganronpa 2. Its taken me a long time (I am 46) but I have found my sweet spot for games, and am hoping this is just up my street. Can't wait to get stuck in

It's gonna take you a long time to finish too! 

2 hours ago, SMD said:

It's gonna take you a long time to finish too! 

But saying that I just grabbed Ultra Despair Girls while it's on offer, so may be alternating between the two. Thats a lot of gaming time. And then there is the Danganronpa 3 anime to watch. v3 will have to wait for a while

I only played 3 FES and 4 at the back end of last year, so really looking forward to 5.

3 hours ago, Kevvy Metal said:

Took me 140 hours in the end! 

It's fucking amazing though. 

I think finishing NG+ took my whole playthrough to 220 hours (that's getting the Platinum too and there was a lot of fusing involved.) it was ridiculous but the ultimate Persona for this one was pretty awesome IMO. 

1 hour ago, Vorgot said:

But saying that I just grabbed Ultra Despair Girls while it's on offer, so may be alternating between the two. Thats a lot of gaming time. And then there is the Danganronpa 3 anime to watch. v3 will have to wait for a while

I only played 3 FES and 4 at the back end of last year, so really looking forward to 5.

Honestly, I'd suggest just bailing on UDG for now. The story isn't part of the mainline Danganronpa plot (there's a brief reference in one of the anime episodes but even the reveal doesn't really seem to spoil UDG) and you'll want to pace yourself with the anime anyway.

7 hours ago, gospvg said:

£24.99 digital sale

https://store.playstation.com/en-gb/product/EP4062-CUSA06638_00-PERSONA512345678

@Qazimod I have temporarily changed the thread title.

Thank you! I haven't had time to check the forum this morning...

And that's a great price considering that there's 90-100hrs of Persona goodness in there. ^_^

1 hour ago, SMD said:

Honestly, I'd suggest just bailing on UDG for now. The story isn't part of the mainline Danganronpa plot (there's a brief reference in one of the anime episodes but even the reveal doesn't really seem to spoil UDG) and you'll want to pace yourself with the anime anyway.

Hmmm. Not pulled the trigger on it yet, but you did suggest playing it before watching the anime. May take a pass then and use the PSN credit in another way (I had the money on but not bought the game yet). Being driven by what you think is best here, after being a huge Chiaki fan and am post fifth trial on DG 2

19 minutes ago, Vorgot said:

Hmmm. Not pulled the trigger on it yet, but you did suggest playing it before watching the anime. May take a pass then and use the PSN credit in another way (I had the money on but not bought the game yet). Being driven by what you think is best here, after being a huge Chiaki fan and am post fifth trial on DG 2

This was before you wanted to commit to Persona 5 hahahaha

4 minutes ago, SMD said:

This was before you wanted to commit to Persona 5 hahahaha

I'm trying (and failing) to juggle P5 and Danganronpa 2 (at the same point as @Vorgot by the sounds of it). I'm about 30 hours into P5 but Monster Hunter just came through the door too (and I've still got FFXII Zodiac Age, DOOM, Ratchet and Clank and Dishonored 2 on my to start pile)

2 minutes ago, wev said:

I'm trying (and failing) to juggle P5 and Danganronpa 2 (at the same point as @Vorgot by the sounds of it). I'm about 30 hours into P5 but Monster Hunter just came through the door too (and I've still got FFXII Zodiac Age, DOOM, Ratchet and Clank and Dishonored 2 on my to start pile)

You make me feel better about myself.

Slightly.

• 2 weeks later...
25 minutes ago, Qazimod said:

I've never tried the Japanese dub - I don't have a problem reading subtitles but at the same time I was never too bothered by the English voices. :) 

Having just tried the Japanese, I'll stick with the English dub as it's damn good anyway. Can switch at will when you load a game so can always switch over if I don't like it. I normally would go for the Japanese voices but am used to the English voices in Persona games, seemed weird having the other ones.

The English voices are pretty good but I do wish they'd been recorded a bit better. There's loads of sibilance on them and I'm 50 hours in now so I assume it'll be the same all the way through.

I'm still loving it because of the ridiculous amount of style and love that's gone into it but the ratio of clicking through dialogue boxes to actual gameplay (even if it's just decision-making) does feel a bit off. The repetition is handy if you've left it a while but I feel like it would've helped the experience to cut down on it and have the summary in the menus a bit more fleshed out for those needing a refresher. I haven't read the thread so I imagine I'm not saying anything remotely original here.

4 hours ago, Theholyhogg said:

Did you ever play smt Nocturne BTW (I recommend it about a year ago) :lol:??? 

I bought the PS2 classic on my PS3 (It's Lucifer's Call in the UK I think) but could get into it I'm afraid! Tried a few times, but ended up getting stuck into Persona 3 FES and then Persona Q on the 3DS. Thanks for the recommendation though, it had an interesting premise! Still got SMT IV to get stuck into on the 3DS as well....

Well this is brilliant. Looks like it will be my GOTY 2018 that wasn't released in 2018. Just finished the first palace and starting to work on my daily stuff. Having played 3 and 4, it's much easier to slip back into the routine, I don't feel as lost. But the improvements they have made are amazing. Battles are faster, the fusion search from Persona Q is great, the negotiation from the SMT games works brilliantly, it's all so slick. I really like the safe rooms in the places as well, and the cover/ambush mechanic.

Just blown away by this game, and thats just how it plays, never mind how it looks. Am sure I am missing a ton of locations at the moment, but I've got more than enough to do. Liking the characters so far as well, though they would have to go some way to replace the P4 crew as my favourites.

A remake of P4 Golden using this engine please Atlus, as I have only played vanilla P4

• Qazimod changed the title to Persona 5 | Persona 5 Royal | Now available for everything | New semester conditions in OP