Shenmue III - PS4/PC | Out Now!

Revival

I keep coming into the thread in in the hope something will make me want to play some more. I enjoyed a bit of a nostalgia hit for several hours and then my interest petered out. I think I had more fun playing the first game again.  

Really wish I'd liked 3 more.

10 hours ago, Keyboard Koala said:

While I really liked the original Shenmue back on the DC, and still paid for all three of them on my PS4, I simply couldn't get into them anymore. Not with Yakuza and Judgment offering a similar style of game in a much better package.

I'm playing Yakuza Zero right now and while it's a good game, I would not be satisfied with it as an alternative to Shenmue. Apart from superficial similarities, they're too different to be truly comparable.

1 hour ago, DeciderVT said:

I'm playing Yakuza Zero right now and while it's a good game, I would not be satisfied with it as an alternative to Shenmue. Apart from superficial similarities, they're too different to be truly comparable.

It's a personal thing, and it depends on what you get out of both series. The thing I liked most about the first Shenmue was the feeling of virtual tourism - it really felt like being in actual Japanese village. One of the many things I like about Yakuza is that same feeling of virtual tourism in modern Japanese cities - and they've captured them perfectly. I've been to most of the cities in the Yakuza series and it blows me away every time how much it feels like being back there and I love it.

5 hours ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

It's a personal thing, and it depends on what you get out of both series. The thing I liked most about the first Shenmue was the feeling of virtual tourism - it really felt like being in actual Japanese village. One of the many things I like about Yakuza is that same feeling of virtual tourism in modern Japanese cities - and they've captured them perfectly. I've been to most of the cities in the Yakuza series and it blows me away every time how much it feels like being back there and I love it.

Gerubik-san Ryu ga Gokuto fan numba 1 !!

But yeah that's exactly how I feel about the Yakuza series: come for the arcades and the tourism, stay for the fights and the story.

7 hours ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

Hmm, perhaps. It's interesting that you've been to these places, as I haven't- yet when I returned to Yokosuka in Shenmue 1 last year, it felt like slipping into an old pair of shoes. I imagine the effect is much more potent across both series if you've actually been there.

34 minutes ago, DeciderVT said:

I'm not denying that there are similarities- I just don't buy that Yakuza is a substitute. I agree with @Down by Law's previous assertion that they're complementary series. I personally wouldn't play one over the other when I could play both.

Well no. Playing both is the Correct Way.