rllmuk
Revival

Shenmue III - PS4/PC | Out Now!

1 hour ago, Liamness said:

Clipped from my email:

legally-interesting.png.1ef3b14a8ac65d6a9938d51acac57d1c.png

Hmm. I guess it shows how much of a bigger cut they wanted of the sales. 

1 hour ago, rafaqat said:

Hmm. I guess it shows how much of a bigger cut they wanted of the sales.

Steam's 30% cut for doing basically nothing is looking a little offensive these days given the alternatives that exist, and I can understand why publishers are shopping around for alternatives. Really don't understand why more publishers don't just pass the cost onto the consumer, and let them vote with their wallets - exclusives are never the answer. Epic is just trying to force people to install their launcher and then hope they stick around. Competition is a good thing, and god knows Valve need some, but I would prefer a carrot to a stick.

It probably bears mentioning that Valve allow the creation of unlimited steam keys for games purchased on other platforms (quite normal for games purchased on Humble Bundle or Kickstarter), for which they recieve absolutely nothing. So there's really no financial reason, at least in term of sales revenue, to not allow crowdfunding backers to install the game via Steam.

• Upvote 2

The outrage of this on the Facebook group says it all, this is going to get worse. Unless they release it on Steam, then it's going to turn really nasty.

5 hours ago, Liamness said:

Clipped from my email:

legally-interesting.png.1ef3b14a8ac65d6a9938d51acac57d1c.png

Hmm. I guess it shows how much the PC gaming landscape has changed in the meantime though - they didn't even really consider the possibility of distributing on any platform other than Valve's.

Tencent's cash wasn't on the table then.

• Upvote 1

It’s kinda hilarious, you’ve got the eternally angry “game not on Steam community clashing with the ultra-defensive Shenmue community downplaying any negativity, it’s a recipe for almost endless drama.

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, crisy said:

Decent article here: http://www.phantomriverstone.com/2019/06/pc-version-is-timed-exclusive-for-epic.html

Let's be a level headed and patient about this. 

Epic still doesn't have cloud saves and that's pretty annoying when you just want to move to another device. What century are they living in where your save is fixed to one device.  Even bloody Nintendo have finally moved beyond that.   

I thought I'd lost my Subnautica save yesterday when a windows update looked like it had borked my install. No excuse in this day and age.  

12 hours ago, Dudley said:

If they specifically said Steam in the kickstarter, then they can say no refunds all they like but in the UK that's very illegal most likely.

Tell that to the Vega+ backers.

It ain't mean nothin.

1 hour ago, rafaqat said:

Epic still doesn't have cloud saves and that's pretty annoying when you just want to move to another device. What century are they living in where your save is fixed to one device.  Even bloody Nintendo have finally moved beyond that.

Nintendo have "moved beyond" locking saves to a device by making it impossible to back up saves without signing up to their online service - which deletes them after 6 months anyway if you cancel. So maybe not the best example.

But yeah, if Epic want people to use their launcher and store, it needs to at least have the base featureset we've come to expect. Like a shopping cart - which has led to some people having card purchases declined, because of the need to purchase every single game as an individual transaction. Which, to a bank, looks dodgy - like a scammer testing the water before going all in. This is to say nothing of the Steam's excellent controller support with remapping etc and shareable configs, streaming capabilities, etc.

I would be tempted to try and switch my purchase to a PS4 download if there's no other way to play on PC for like a year or something daft. I really wouldn't want to give Epic anything in the way of positive feedback for this behaviour - which me logging in for the first time and immediately downloading Shenmue III would certainly be.

• Upvote 2

I thought the guy right at the start was Lan Di for a second. It would've been amazing if, after all these years and the drama of getting it out the door, you just found him within an hour, upturned his table and threw him in the river. Shenmue saga over.

• Upvote 4

It's all looking like classic Shenmue, warts and all, even down to the dodgy writing and voice acting. I'm down though, it'll be a blast to the past with fun action sequences, pottering around villages and beating up local thugs. I really hope they do a story recap though because farked if I can remember anything about it, other than Lan Di is the baddy and theres some magic mirror involved!

• Upvote 1

How come they needed more money? I stopped reading the Kickstarter emails a while ago, as I'm just waiting for release now. I thought they made an unexpected amount of cash on Kickstarter. Did they both through more than expected?

I cant understand why ign Japan turned the music off on all their vids.... The music's half the experience man. 

Anyway, I ordered the collectors edition for 59 quid on game collection earlier, looks like they've sold out now but shopto have it for 70. Very limited quantities apparently 

hahaha my lord it is so very very Shenmue. 

The log splitting - brilliant! Fighting looks spot on – not the simplified version of Shenmue fight engine after all?

The lack of music doesn't help but by gollly it seems like everything takes so very long to do. Select.. dialogue... select again.. more dialogue.. select.. finally do what you want to do! Again.. very Shenmue and part of what sunk you into the world, but by today's standard it feels rather a lot of effort. Much skipping. 

Can't see myself turtle racing very often, that's for sure.

They do seem to have made it look complex, will wait until I play it but from those videos it sure seems like there are a lot of unique interfaces to learn, with not much in the way of commonality. Wonder if QTE buttons will be off to one side like the turtle race - hope not! 

But yep.. overall very happy with what I am seeing. 

• Upvote 1

Can someone explain to me what the big deal is about downloading a different launcher on PC?

• Upvote 2

Brave question.

I don't know because I don't really PC game these days.. but thought everyone loved Unreal Engine and therefore Epic by default. Not to mention in the old days the UT players were definitely the hardcore PC gamers. Epic must've taken a serious tumble!

11 hours ago, Liamness said:

Steam's 30% cut for doing basically nothing is looking a little offensive these days given the alternatives that exist, and I can understand why publishers are shopping around for alternatives.

8 hours ago, Liamness said:

This is to say nothing of the Steam's excellent controller support with remapping etc and shareable configs, streaming capabilities, etc.

Okay.

• Empathy 1

3 hours ago, Comrade said:

Can someone explain to me what the big deal is about downloading a different launcher on PC?

Its not as well featured as steam that contains most of the other games. Cloud saves for one.  I regularly play across devices. So no cloud saves is shit for me. 

@Super Craig

Steam has a better feature set than its competitors, yes, but I would say the efforts involved in that are mostly historical. What Valve are now engaging in is rent-seeking behaviour, and funnelling the cash into other pursuits. Maybe that 30% would be easier for developers / publishers to justify if they were actively addressing issues they have with the platform - for instance regarding the review system, and letting less crap onto the store to imrprove the discoverability of quality software. Or they could just lower their cut.

The majority of the design and thought behind stuff was likely already completed way back when.

It’s an interesting one as we’ve moved on in a lot of ways but this really is classic Shenmue.

It makes me a little bit nervous, as for fans it’s will be like putting on a pair of comfortable slippers, but to draw new people it could really be a “WTF is this!?” type scenario.

11 hours ago, deKay said:

Tell that to the Vega+ backers.

It ain't mean nothin.

Yeah, although they liquidated the company to avoid that. 

9 hours ago, TehStu said:

How come they needed more money? I stopped reading the Kickstarter emails a while ago, as I'm just waiting for release now. I thought they made an unexpected amount of cash on Kickstarter. Did they both through more than expected?

The Kickstarter had a release date of 2017. So there's 2 more years to pay for.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, pastry said:

Brave question.

I don't know because I don't really PC game these days.. but thought everyone loved Unreal Engine and therefore Epic by default. Not to mention in the old days the UT players were definitely the hardcore PC gamers. Epic must've taken a serious tumble!

Unreal Engine is still loved. It's a combination of being Tencent's puppet in the PC retail market, securing exclusives for their store (which realistically only benefits themselves and whoever they've paid for it, not potential customers) and older players hating the fact that Epic's principal focus is Fortnite these days. As one of these old farts, I was certainly sad when I heard the the new Unreal Tournament they'd been building had been cancelled.

• Upvote 2