rllmuk
Revival

Shenmue III - PS4/PC | Out Now!

On 10/10/2019 at 18:39, Fargo said:

I'd love to, but I just don't think I'd have the time to finish them before the III is released. Tempted to try though. 

Ok I bought the collection. 

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Fargo said:

Others may disagree but to avoid burning out I'd just look up a Youtube summary for S1, then play S2. S3 follows directly on so you'd get the most benefit that way.

• Upvote 1

I disagree with that tbh, I'm playing the HD collection for the first time at the moment, I enjoyed the time I spent with S1, but playing S2 straight after - they really fucked with the controls, Ryu now has an 18ft turning radius in a game where everything is 5ft narrow corridors, and the slowest "quick turn" known to man. And the pacing is actually worse, everyone seems to think S2 is much faster paced, but if you remove that chase and a fight in the intro which gives a disproportionate feeling of how quick the game "gets going", the opening few hours are actually far slower than S1, which at least paced a QTE or a fight every day, your time in Hong Kong is nothing but "find this person" 7/8 times with no fights or QTEs, along with forcing you do the worst minigames known to man early on as your tutorial to make money.

• Upvote 1

I don't think you'd burn out (Oh Burnout! I love Burnout!) from playing Shenmue 1 and 2 in succession.  On the dreamcast I played through both and preferred the second one. I bought the PS4 release recently and loved every minute but found Shenmue 2 to be artificially too big, which was great in 2000, but sucked a bit in 2019.  Specifically, the

massive, identical, maze like buildings of the last CD - bloke tells you to go to the roof, bloke on roof tells you to go to the basement, but this isn't the Yellow Head Building, it's the Dragon Knife Balls Building which leads to the other building so you're not even in the right building, aw fuck it....

I'd much rather play Shenmue 1 to completion then Shenmue 2 for the story, then Shenmue 3 when it comes.  

• Upvote 1

18 hours ago, Fargo said:

This the the right answer. Enjoy, settle into it a with a bottle of red, or a coffee, or whatever, it's really, really great.

• Upvote 3

A Shenmue 3 stage presentation will be streamed live this *Saturday* at 6pm BST, from #EGX2019 in London. Outta nowhere.

The japanese site has just gone live with Bios of some of the major characters:

https://third.shenmue.com/

A press event in Madrid was held yesterday for European journalists to play the final version, opening two hours. The game has gone GOLD!

None spoiler impressions if you don't want to watch the video (translated by Kyo_JP from the Shenmue Dojo forums:

Hobby Consolas Article:
- Both in the video and article they said that the game has reached Gold status (also implied that patches are a posibility)
- They played in the Koch Media office in Madrid for about 1 hour
- Final scene of Shenmue II recreated with the new engine
- Similiar investigation feeling like in Shenmue I. Also higlight that you need Shenhua help to characters to open up to Ryo
- Also related to Shenmue I is the similar small enviroment and NPC rutines
- You can Press the Triangle button to open a option to move to a specific time and location if you don't want to wait to move the story on (In the video they implied that using that option will consume a lot stamina)
- Combat system is more fluid than in I & II, also more demanding because we have to increase the Kung Fu level (Description of how to do it)
- The Diary is more intuitive than in previous games. One Tab for the map, One for the Main Story, One for Secondary mssions, for example
- UI and UX more fluid, the UI buttons in the top right corner are very clear when you need to do an action
- They ask themselves the question of what about the tech aspect, the big controversy in months past:
* The project does not have the resources to be an AAA game, but it is a beautiful game, specially on the scenarios and they praise the artistic driection.
* Irregular quality in character models. Ryo Hazuki has improved a lot from the previous years pictures and now match what they expected to look like. Other charactrer are not that "believebale" as one could expect. The lighting and warm colours can generate controversy among some users that can say that the art approach is not realistic.
* They love the old people models. Facial expresion is also irregular. Robotic movements.
- Conclussion: A very elegant experienice, actual Shenmue Style, what can seem dated for some people and also drive nostalgia for others.

Hobby Consolas Video (different stuff only)
- The footage was captured by him in the Spanish Koch Media office.
- He talk about their E3 impression with another writer that was not that positive and he was worried about it. This game session make him be confident in Shenmue 3.
- Conclussion: he has recovered the hope in Shenmue 3. He said we have to keep in mind that it is not going to be graphically ground breaking like it was Shenmue I&II back in the day, and that it can not compete with games like Horizon or God of War, but if that is not a problem for us, it will be a game with a lot of personality, and he is willing to go back to China.

Very positive overall.

HYPE

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Down by Law said:

- Final scene of Shenmue II recreated with the new engine

:wub:

OK, I really need to replay the first two. It's been too long.

I might have to go into media blackout mode until I've finished them. Enjoy Shenmue 3, everyone!! :o

9 minutes ago, Sprite Machine said:

:wub:

OK, I really need to replay the first two. It's been too long.

I might have to go into media blackout mode until I've finished them. Enjoy Shenmue 3, everyone!! :o

Imagine if to "get new fans on board" they have remade the first 2 games in the new engine :o

3 hours ago, Parappa said:

Imagine if to "get new fans on board" they have remade the first 2 games in the new engine :o

There was almost a remaster of Shenmue. Sega canned it in favour of the HD versions.

21 hours ago, monkeydog said:

There was almost a remaster of Shenmue. Sega canned it in favour of the HD versions.

Because they realised it would never make back the cost of doing it. The fact they've never really spoken about the commercial performance of the re-releases would indicate they made the right call (from the keeping the company having a financial relapse perspective).

One of the people currently working on Shenmue III originally did some proof on concept in his spare time on what a current generation iteration of Shenmue could have been, quite close to the sequel in terms of rendering and he did that on UE3 which is the last gen version of the engine.

• Upvote 2

Finally played the trial last night. Absolutely adore everything but it seems weird why the energy/health mechanic is a) in there and b) no-one has mentioned it at all?

If the fruit is abundant, it means it's a dumb mechanic. If the fruit is restricted, it's an annoying one because it stops you playing the game. I can understand limiting how often folk can train so you don't get overpowered straight away but making it so that you can't actually progress the story because your health is too low and then tying the depletion into the actual movement mechanic? If you lose a fight, you can't run unless you eat a pear?!

This is 100% making a mountain out a molehill - I do think everything else is exactly what I hope and want from Shenmue 3 - but it seems in opposition to the nature of spirit of the original game especially where you could just go about doing everything and nothing and weren't punished for it.

6 minutes ago, Lorfarius said:

No one knows.

Well, surely an educated guess based on where it’s coming from and how long things normally take from there?

I stupidly bought 1&2 for xbone. Hoping I could carry my save over. 

It's not even announced for the bloody machine. Anyway I'm currently exploring Dobuita again for the first time since 2000.

Feels odd asking everyone if they know where sailors hang out.   much more than when I was 25. 

37 minutes ago, deKay said:

Well, surely an educated guess based on where it’s coming from and how long things normally take from there?

Its out in November. :hat:

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, deKay said:

It will arrive on the day the snow turns to rain.

• Upvote 4

25 minutes ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

It will arrive on the day the snow turns to rain.

Sure but I need to book a few days off and I'm not sure a holiday request with "Date: The day the snow turns to rain" will work.

1 hour ago, Capwn said:

This game is going to receive more praise than Death Stranding isn't it? :(

That smiley is the wrong way up.

• Upvote 4

Just had the final confirmation. The game itself is being dispatched from within the UK by Spiral Galaxy, so it might be here on launch day!

• Upvote 2

On 29/10/2019 at 10:34, deKay said:

Sure but I need to book a few days off and I'm not sure a holiday request with "Date: The day the snow turns to rain" will work.

It is flu season!

EXCITEMENT INTENSIFIES!

I have 3 of the collectors edition and one of the steelbook edition preordered. Even though it's preordering well across europe, so I'm sure Deep Silver must be very happy! I'm not crazy this is the only game I'll really go the extra mile on ^_^

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Ketchup said:

In anticipation of Shenmue 3 i've started working on a little video visiting Yokosuka earlier this year. But i wanted to share a few photos i took, recognise any of these locations?

P1280003.thumb.jpg.31da03911929d55f27230392b878050c.jpg

That's not where the sailors are supposed to hang out :quote:

• Upvote 1