rllmuk
Revival

Shenmue III - PS4/PC | Out Now!

The whole soundtrack hasn’t been uploaded anywhere yet as far as I can see, but I just encountered an all-time joint that plays when you go inside Niaowu Clinic, next door to Niaowu Pharmacy and across the street from Tough Guy Herbs and the Black Sesame Dumpling cafe, up that Promenade before you turn the corner to Hua Xiao Temple. Go there and check the tune out. Utter vibes.

• Upvote 2

Back doing some fork lift driving.... Feels like I've returned to something I was doing many years ago...no bus ride this time though.

The scenery and ambient feeling of being somewhere else in this is amazing. ..The music too just feels all relaxing. What I really enjoying though is the lack of shooting and killing. All the violence has a reason to be and love developing the skills and practicing the marital arts. It all feels more like a spiritual experience. Even with all it's quirks this is an intoxicating place to be...

I need to get a fishing rod and do some fishing at some point too... Found a few locations that I'd just like to chill out at for a bit.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Benny said:

It's the music that makes it. Can we get a league table going? I'm on 139 :ph34r:

Jeez must be something I'm doing wrong on this managed to get to 95!!! Guessing each time you get a perfect it counts for more? 

9 minutes ago, MattyP said:

What I really enjoying though is the lack of shooting and killing. All the violence has a reason to be and love developing the skills and practicing the marital arts. It all feels more like a spiritual experience. Even with all it's quirks this is an intoxicating place to be...

Yes it's very important that, despite his overall quest, Ryo doesn't actively seek out violence to anyone who doesn't start it or unless they are threatening someone else. Unless he's looking for friendly sparring. This is absolutely the dream of Virtua Fighter RPG made flesh. I also love how getting better endurance requires real work and grind, just like real training.

Also, failing QTEs in this is often much funnier than in the previous games.

7 minutes ago, MattyP said:

Jeez must be something I'm doing wrong on this managed to get to 95!!! Guessing each time you get a perfect it counts for more? 

Look how much you could be earning:

Spoiler

shen3-2.thumb.jpg.e1d4a596ff548e6d391aa41e3ff4a688.jpg

• Upvote 1

Early Niawou Spoiler Re Ryo 

Spoiler

When he punches out the guy chasing the fortune teller, it's the only time I've seen him take pride in knocking someone out :D

139 is my best at Log Chopping! There's a guy on the Dojo that hit 161 though. Sheeeeit!

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Down by Law said:

Early Niawou Spoiler Re Ryo 

Reveal hidden contents

When he punches out the guy chasing the fortune teller, it's the only time I've seen him take pride in knocking someone out :D

139 is my best at Log Chopping! There's a guy on the Dojo that hit 161 though. Sheeeeit!

161???!!! Guessing it's just a case of hitting the "very good" (or whatever it is) on each chop? Guessing this will give you more logs per chop as it were .... :)

Drove a Forklift for the first time last night. Hell yeah I nailed that quota and another 2 extra for good measure ^_^

Niaowu continues to impress. There's some beautiful places to explore and I've been here a week in game and lots of it I still haven't got to yet. 

On 25/11/2019 at 00:01, Calashnikov said:

Niaowu Clinic... Go there and check the tune out. Utter vibes.

Oh yeah I loved this

Anyone catch the classic Sega reference at the music shop? 

@Nate Dogg III is this reviewed in the next Edge? Hope you guys enjoyed it! 

Finally nailed a bullet time dodge, of course, completely whiffed it with a jab but still put him down :D

Put in spoiler in case you don't want to see the second area yet.

Shenmue-III_20191126195824__1.gif

Couple of bonus gifs just because

Shenmue-III_20191126195418_.gif

Shenmue-III_20191126184240_.gif

Shenmue-III_20191126195824_.gif

so in terms of the fighting engine.. is it like the other Shenmue games where they've fundamentally built a more-than-competent fighting game inside a wider adventure game? Sure looks it! That still amazes me.

Not really. It doesn't have the Virtua Fighter-inspired combat system from the previous two games, it's been replaced by a different system that's more about spacing and timing and using the move scrolls you've obtained to perform special moves. I still think it's pretty fun though, and it ties into the general theme of Shenmue III by giving you a reason to engage with all the various systems the game offers - levelling up your endurance, collecting the move scrolls, sparring to master them, and so on.

Executing moves feels more like a stripped-right back Bayonetta than it does Virtua Fighter for me. Something about timing sequential button presses as opposed to directional inputs.

On 24/11/2019 at 23:10, Benny said:

It's the music that makes it. Can we get a league table going? I'm on 139 :ph34r:

I passed 150 for the first time today! 151, if I remember correctly.

• Upvote 1

Aaargghhh! I accidentally pushed the storyline forward too fast in Bailu Village and now I've missed out on completing a couple of side quests. I'm getting the "finish up your business before moving on" message and now one character is nowhere to be found and another quest I was three quarters of the way through has ended. Silly me.

Am I right in thinking that not all the move scrolls in the pawn shop are actually obtainable in Bailu? Some of the item sets seem to require items that are nowhere to be found. I want to at least get all the ones I can before moving on. *shovels more money into capsule machines*

47 minutes ago, Garwoofoo said:

Aaargghhh! I accidentally pushed the storyline forward too fast in Bailu Village and now I've missed out on completing a couple of side quests. I'm getting the "finish up your business before moving on" message and now one character is nowhere to be found and another quest I was three quarters of the way through has ended. Silly me.

Am I right in thinking that not all the move scrolls in the pawn shop are actually obtainable in Bailu? Some of the item sets seem to require items that are nowhere to be found. I want to at least get all the ones I can before moving on. *shovels more money into capsule machines*

Just have to have another playthrough then... :D

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Rain Birds said:

I passed 150 for the first time today! 151, if I remember correctly.

How?! What is the secret?! :D

I still can't quite believe this game is finally in my PS4 and I'm sat here playing it...??? I was the biggest fan of 1 & 2 - all my friends thought I was mad at the time, as most of the games on Dreamcast back then were arcade games which meant some pulse pounding, quick 5-10 minute experiences. This was something else entirely - and to be fair, it' still exactly that even today.

It's brilliant though - I'm so happy they went down the route of making it for the fans instead of trying to update it for modern times. it genuinely feels like the sequel we never got, and I couldn't ask for a more perfect continuation (I'm still near the start in Bailu - and by God I'm going to take my sweet time with this, hopefully it'll see me through Christmas).

That said - knowing that this installment still doesn't finish the story fills me with a sense of dread. I never expected this game to sell amazingly well, it's for fans after all. However, that does mean there is no guarantee Shenmue 4 will go ahead, and I fear we'll never see the end this epic journey, which would be a real shame.

1 hour ago, alex3d said:

(unfucked link: https://metro.co.uk/2019/11/25/shenmue-3-fails-crack-top-10-latest-uk-sales-chart-11217176/)

Which doesn't take into account all the backers. Imagine if COD's sales didn't take account of pre-orders.

But it was *never* going to sell well. Which is why it hadn't been made before and took a Kickstarter to get it done.

• Upvote 1

Well it's up against the biggest names in gaming this week. It doesn't need to sell a huge amount to turn a profit. I'm sure Darksiders III, another thqn game, only needed 100k to be profitable, and the majority of Shenmue 3s development was pre paid by kickstarter. The collectors edition has sold out across the UK but wouldn't count in the chart as it was a different sku. 

I wouldn't worry too much until we get sales data from the US and Digital. 

It opened at #4 in Japan and cedric biscay (shibuya productions, co producer) tweeted they were happy with that. 

In the US it's the top selling game at best buy as its on a black friday promo there, amazon USA price matched and have been sold out for two days. 

#3 on the epic games store top 20

Suzuki has stated that if he can't make IV he will conclude the story by other means so there's not going to be a twenty year wait whatever happens. 

Personally I'm just happy we got this one, ive just hit the 20 hour mark and I can tell by the journal pages I have a long way to go. Totally and utterly savouring the experience. Im really loving the fight engine now too, there is a head spinning amount of moves to unlock. 

• Upvote 2

Didn't ever expect it to sell that well TBH lots of competition for your £££s these days... I expect most fans who wanted it backed it and younger gamers might not be as interested in shelling out £45-50 for this type of game. Personally I think it should have been put out there for £30 it might have done better My guess is that this will be heavily discounted over the course of the first quarter next year 

Glad I bought it though. Enjoying it.... Nice change of pace to the usual shooty games. 

What proportion of this game is spent in Bailu Village? Because it feels like I’ve been playing for ages and I’ve only just made it to the second area. Admittedly I did get a bit distracted with all the various side activities! (Whoever owns the Firefighter capsule machine is now a millionaire, thanks to me). Is it roughly 50/50 in terms of time spent in the two areas?

1 hour ago, alex3d said:

Not doing too well in Japan either :(

The remasters were budget price and a lot of people imported the version with the soundtrack (me included) 

4000 people backed the Kickstarter in Japan too so they wouldn't have counted either. Not saying that would make 21k physical sales amazing or anything. Also 17k at full price vs 19k at budget price the actual revenue difference would be much greater. 

Still any excuse to pile on the game and the media's gonna be all over it.

Sales seem fine. It’s a super-niche game made on a limited budget. I wouldn’t be at all surprised to see Shenmue IV greenlit - they know the engine, have plenty of assets in place so a sequel on a similar scale should cost a lot less.

Dreamcast Shenmue needed to be a huge success because it was by far the biggest budget title on the platform. This can probably sell a fraction of the amount and end up being more profitable.

Finished it yesterday.  Overall really enjoyed it and a worthy sequel.  But it wasn't without it`s flaws though.  

First of the game is way bigger in scale then I thought it was ever gonna be.  Especially Niaowu.  At first I thought i was gonna be a promenade and main stretch, but really opens up as you progress.  The same with Bailu village.  As for the story, reminded me of previous 2 tracking down certain tasks down to the last quarter of the game where it ramps up big time. The only thing i found the game lacking, was characters unlike in one and 2.  Other than Shenhua there no one else you really click with.  Not going to much into these cause of spoilers.

Also I never been a huge fan of the gambling side and felt forced to have to plough through it a period of time, saving and reloading saves all the time for me to progress. Even though i wasnt sure of the change to the fighting system, I really started to appreciate toward the later parts in the game as I managed to scrape together enough cash to unlock some of the more kick ass scrolls.

If i was to score it, probably around an 8.  For me the budget wasnt the issue, more the choice in gameplay decisions sometimes which hampered flow of the game.  Also coming of back of Yakuzas, it shows how far open town games have come.

Glad I laid down the $100 on kickstarter to make it happen and still can`t believe we are here talking about it.

Will most likely pick it up on pc later on as the ps4 framerate is pretty dire and the loading in on assets in niaowu is shocking.

Can`t wait for Shenmue 4 :D

• Upvote 2

Just got to Niaowu. Not done much yet but read all the comments in the hotel guestbook and had a little cry to myself.

Still can’t believe this game exists.

• Upvote 3

Yeah some of those guest book entries are really something.

the one guy who wrote a tribute to his dad and ended saying he'd get Lan Di for him really got me in the feels

• Upvote 1