rllmuk
Revival

Shenmue III - PS4/PC | Out Now!

8 hours ago, Down by Law said:

Yeah some of those guest book entries are really something.

Hide contents

the one guy who wrote a tribute to his dad and ended saying he'd get Lan Di for him really got me in the feels

Yep. There are a few from people who played the original games with friends or family who have since died.

But not even just that. So many people so appreciative and excited that Shenmue III was actually happening. :wub:

(also the Metal Gear and Earthbound quotes made me lol)

And @biglime

• Upvote 1

If anyone else wants to read the guestbook, it's in my recording from last night. Skip to 47:45 to avoid spoilers:

• Upvote 4

The guestbook should be a terrible, immersion-breaking idea but somehow it’s just perfect, a massive outpouring of love and delight from the fans that suits this game perfectly. 

I went into the Niaowu pawn shop last night and dear god there are a lot of move scrolls to collect and just an incredible amount of stuff to find and do. I’m already a bit hooked on looking for the hidden chickens in each shop. 

• Upvote 2

On 25/11/2019 at 00:10, Benny said:

It's the music that makes it. Can we get a league table going? I'm on 139 

Thread title should be: Shenmue III - How much wood could a woodchuck chuck?

Stolen from the RPS review:

You know what I really miss from the first Shenmue? How just about everything has a schedule. It really, really added to the immersion going out before a shop had opened or just missing closing time in the evening. That aspect was rarely seen in Shenmue II and is essentially non-existent this time around - I’d like to think it’s a knowing comment on Chinese working conditions, but I suspect it’s a trade-off for the considerably greater scale of the sequels.

My “head canon” for VO is English for Shenmue 1 & Japanese for Shenmue 2, having original played the PAL Dreamcast versions... so I dilly dallied over what to pick for Shenmue 3. 

Tried both and the English VO is glorious. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Kevvy Metal said:

My “head canon” for VO is English for Shenmue 1 & Japanese for Shenmue 2, having original played the PAL Dreamcast versions... so I dilly dallied over what to pick for Shenmue 3. 

Tried both and the English VO is glorious. 

T'was exactly the same for me. :)

4 minutes ago, Calashnikov said:

Ach, technically maybe, but we already knew from trailers and marketing images and preview screenshots.

I didn’t :(

• Empathy 2

I’ve avoided as much as possible. Haven’t read previews, watched only the early teasers, haven’t even read most of the hundred or so backed emails.

4 minutes ago, Calashnikov said:

Get the fuck out of page 92 of the Rllmuk Shenmue 3 thread then, Mr Avoid As Much As Possible :quote:

I thought this was a safe space :(

The Save Shenmue building in this is so surreal I’m now convinced the entire story is just an extended fever dream caused by the stress Ryo experienced seeing his father murdered in the very first cutscene. 

• Upvote 1

I am about to leave the second area after about 30 odd hours and well it's just been completely, utterly fuckin brilliant. The hours just pass in a blink of an eye and I'd go as far to say Niaowu at night is one of the most beautiful environments in gaming I've ever come across. I can't believe it's a bloody kickstarter project, it's unbelievable. 

• Upvote 2

Slightly dull, possibly cheaty but 100% reliable way to make as much money as you want in Naiowu:

Buy a copy of Three Kingdoms at the Western Bookstore on the Promenade, then go to the red bookstall on Vendor Avenue and buy Historical Records, Later Han Dynasty and History of Jin - total outlay about 15 Yuan. Take these to a pawnshop and exchange the set for the Reverse Heel move scroll. Sell it straight back to the same vendor for 120 Yuan (assuming you have the move already).

Doesn't sound like much but you can buy hundreds of copies of each book at a time and make ridiculous amounts of profit even if it does take a while in the menus to exchange each set one at a time.

Aw Jeez, Jim has done a Jimquisition about Shenmue. :-(

I love Jim, but I love me Shenmue more. I can't watch it. I'll just have to pretend it doesn't exist.

/sticks fingers in ears, head in sand

Aah, eases the pain!

• Empathy 1

Is there a way to skip lines of dialogue? I read fast, I'm playing subtitled and it's taking forever for them to get to the end of a sentence I read almost as soon as it flashed up.

Also, in true Shenmue fashion, they repeat themselves. A lot.

If it’s stuff you’ve heard before in the same session, square will skip it. If it’s new dialogue, you just have to listen to it. 

I’m using the time productively. So far Shenmue has taught me the Japanese for “I see”, “Good morning” and “Go left twice”. 

36 minutes ago, Lumpy said:

Aw Jeez, Jim has done a Jimquisition about Shenmue. :-(

I love Jim, but I love me Shenmue more. I can't watch it. I'll just have to pretend it doesn't exist.

/sticks fingers in ears, head in sand

Aah, eases the pain!

Jim Sterling didn't "get" Shenmue before and he still doesn't now. He thinks Breath of the Wild is a 7/10 game, so I've never trusted his opinions on some games as far as I could throw them all over a wrestling ring. But his views on capitalism and shitty industry practices though, are spot on. It does tend to grate though when his sensationalism is directed at dumping all over a small developers' hard work.

Yeah you would think the guy that gave Deadly Premonition a 10/10 when it is a barely functioning game would champion smaller, underdog games rather than punching down on them. I guess his viewcounts for ranting on lootboxes must be down.

Anyone I finished this tonight. I absolutely loved it. Easily my game of the year. But by lord if there is a Shenmue IV I really hope he goes all out and makes it the last one. I can't take any more stress of not knowing if the series will continue and I absolutely need closure. 

• Upvote 3