rllmuk
Revival

Shenmue III - PS4/PC | Out Now!

I just went to the temple to meet a monk.  When I stopped to talk to him I was facing a few degrees too closely to a wooden post and I asked myself if I wanted to try horse stance training instead.  I managed to skip the dialogue and tried again to talk to the monk.  I

found myself asking him where the temple was even though I knew I was already there. He took the piss telling me I was already there.  He looked like a monk to me. By this point I had spent about 3 minutes listening to dialogue that wasn't relevant so I went in the temple and a monk showed me to a room full of drawers and shelves. There must have been 40 things to examine and so I decided to quit. The game wouldn't let me save because Shenmue. I tried to leave the room but could not.

I went to Sainsburys and they have an Argos concession in there, so I took Shennue with me and they gave me a full refund without question, which surprised me.  I thanked them and left, and you will be pleased to know this is my last post in the thread as I no-longer own this piss-awful, half baked cash in that tramples over your happy memories of the past like a modern day Phantom Menace.  Whooo hoooo!

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 7

10 hours ago, dumpster said:

I went to Sainsburys and they have an Argos concession in there

You have a Shenmue-like attention to mundane, tedious detail.

• Upvote 3

21 hours ago, dumpster said:

I just went to the temple to meet a monk.  When I stopped to talk to him I was facing a few degrees too closely to a wooden post and I asked myself if I wanted to try horse stance training instead.  I managed to skip the dialogue and tried again to talk to the monk.  I

found myself asking him where the temple was even though I knew I was already there. He took the piss telling me I was already there.  He looked like a monk to me. By this point I had spent about 3 minutes listening to dialogue that wasn't relevant so I went in the temple and a monk showed me to a room full of drawers and shelves. There must have been 40 things to examine and so I decided to quit. The game wouldn't let me save because Shenmue. I tried to leave the room but could not.

I went to Sainsburys and they have an Argos concession in there, so I took Shennue with me and they gave me a full refund without question, which surprised me.  I thanked them and left, and you will be pleased to know this is my last post in the thread as I no-longer own this piss-awful, half baked cash in that tramples over your happy memories of the past like a modern day Phantom Menace.  Whooo hoooo!

Thank god, honestly. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 5

Found this guy hiding in the slabs, from the hotel balcony!

81305163_10157629248080803_2298700903802

and this box of tricks in the arcade:

81974336_10157629248060803_5381774651032

• Upvote 3

23 hours ago, Kevvy Metal said:

Thank god, honestly. 

I think it's a bit concerning that discussions on reddit are more cordial and friendly than here. Not necessarily directed solely towards your posting, it's a general feeling I got in this thread. 

Many reddit threads are nice to read with quite some respect being given to contrary opinions. Which has been surprising to me as I always associated reddit with memes and some hateful posts. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, alex3d said:

I think it's a bit concerning that discussions on reddit are more cordial and friendly than here. Not necessarily directed solely towards your posting, it's a general feeling I got in this thread. 

Many reddit threads are nice to read with quite some respect being given to contrary opinions. Which has been surprising to me as I always associated reddit with memes and some hateful posts. 

Ignoring my admitted drive-by posting for a moment, I completely agree with you! 

Now, there’s a lot of people who post excellent stuff, either insightful - like most posts from K - or enthusiastic Like Down by Law has been doing in this thread but I also feel for a Videogame enthusiast forum there’s some absolutely awful and infuriating stuff. Worse than the likes of Twitter or Reddit. 

I’ve tried to quit this place a few times, but the old habit comes back... I’d just like the Ignore function to work better for the really bad offenders. 

But anyways. Finished Shenmue 3 last night. It is probably my least fav of the three coming off the back of a 1 & 2 HD replay... but that doesn’t matter and it’s only slight. I just can not believe this got made and I’ll be there for S4 day one. 
Even if it was just cutscenes with QTE’s like the basic scope was going to be, it would be a miracle that it existed. 

I'm well into the second area now and while it's impressive what they managed with a crowdfunded budget this simply isn't in the same league as the previous game. The things I've been doing have been broadly similar but S2 had a scope and a feeling of progression and escalation that this simply can't match. I'm still glad to have played it and I'm eager to see how it ends, but it was probably never going to get near my expectations.

• Upvote 1

Finished this at the weekend as I was playing through with two school friends who both had the first games on the DC.

My feelings: as a Shenmue game, it's pretty great and as a Shenmue sequel, it's pretty bad.

1 hour ago, Larsen B said:

My feelings: as a Shenmue game, it's pretty great and as a Shenmue sequel, it's pretty bad.

This actually sounds like something Ryo might say, which then got me to wondering... what if there was a Playstation25 game whereby you walk into some virtual apartment and on a fake Dreamcast play Shenmue... playing Ryo playing Outrun?

• Upvote 2

18 minutes ago, Fargo said:

Is there a date for the QoL patch ?

To do what?

It's due mid Jan but there's no definite date. 

In the meantime enjoy these qte fails. Wood pole looks so painful lmao 

• Upvote 1

I'm experiencing QTE fails at every asking - either my reactions have gone or the timing window is overly stingy.

The QTE timing window is super harsh with Shenmue 3. Another big reason why I didn’t enjoy it as much as the older games. 

I played all the way through Shenmue 1 & 2 HD right before 3, and the QTE timing in the old games are way more forgiving. 

• Upvote 1

I must have had to re-do the Ren chase QTE in Shenmue 2 a dozen times before I finally did it on the recent HD remasters. Forgiving is definitely not the word I’d use to describe the original games. 

For people still waiting on physcial Kickstarter rewards...

Physical reward fulfillment timeline

Rewards will be shipping as production finishes for each reward, so rewards will be shipped individualy in most cases.

Mid to late January 2020
Illustration   

Yu   Suzuki Signed Illustration   
Concept   Character Bust

Early   February 2020
Physical   CD Soundtrack   
Shenmue   III Official T-Shirt 

March   2020 or later
Physical   Artbook
Capsule   Toys
Ryo's   Jacket - Replica

The above dates are based on current estimates and may change. Updates will follow when shipping dates are confirmed.

1 hour ago, Popo said:

I must have had to re-do the Ren chase QTE in Shenmue 2 a dozen times before I finally did it on the recent HD remasters. Forgiving is definitely not the word I’d use to describe the original games. 

more forgiving. 

• Upvote 1

Yeah, if Kevvy Metal played 1+2 just before 3 and found 3 worse that's a thing in itself. I'm surprised, as I found 1+2 quite unforgiving and later games that cribbed QTEs quick made the margin for error larger, I'd assumed Shenmue 3 would work off these natural refinements. Maybe hard is just valued more by the director.

1 was fine QTE wise. 2 was until they threw the directional d-pad inputs into the equation. Somewhere in another timeline, a bleary eyed Calashnikov is still fucking trying to ramraid Yuan’s flat after tossing a double sided coin with that cunt Ren. 3 was unforgiving, but only because they wanted you to see the silly fail states they spunked backer money into. And it’s all glorious.

• Upvote 2

Nope, bugger this, I'm fairly near the end but I can't do this any more. They basically ask you to do the same long-winded shit at the end of the second location that you had you do at the end of Bailu.

I'll Youtube the ending and get on with my life.

:(

• Upvote 1

Having to

Spoiler

scrape together x thousand Yuan, then beat all the fighters in the dojo to continue the plot was fine once, but having to do it all again in the second location, except more, broke me.

If the plot/fighting/everything else were better I'd knuckle down and do it, but this sequel (to my favourite game of all time, the only thing I've ever Kickstarted) has ultimately been a big let down.

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Trumpets said:

Having to

Reveal hidden contents

scrape together x thousand Yuan, then beat all the fighters in the dojo to continue the plot was fine once, but having to do it all again in the second location, except more, broke me.

If the plot/fighting/everything else were better I'd knuckle down and do it, but this sequel (to my favourite game of all time, the only thing I've ever Kickstarted) has ultimately been a big let down.

Man, have you played Shenmue 2?!

Its “pay walls” are WAY more brutal than the 3rd game. 

Making money is part of the game. It’s less about b-lining and all about doing activities to make money. 

Also go to a fortune teller, get lucky number and location. Bet on stuff and cheese the save / load system if you want. 

Just sell herbs for money at the clinic at the rainbow basin junction, it takes no time at all and I found exploring for them super enjoyable. Also not wanting to fight people in a game based around martial arts seems a bit strange but whatever. I rinsed the Dojo and the Rose Garden and was left wanting more, but then i really like going deep in fighting games and mastering them as best I can.

• Upvote 2

41 minutes ago, Kevvy Metal said:

Man, have you played Shenmue 2?!

No, I really should, it being my favourite game and all.

You may be right that its gating is worse than S3, but that isn't my memory of it since I enjoyed every minute I played, which is kind of the point.

35 minutes ago, Down by Law said:

Also not wanting to fight people in a game based around martial arts seems a bit strange but whatever. I rinsed the Dojo and the Rose Garden and was left wanting more, but then i really like going deep in fighting games and mastering them as best I can.

It's perverse to want to fight people in a game where the fighting isn't fun.