IGNORED

Best Rain in a Videogame

trashnaut

I like how when it rained in Fable 2 it affected everything in the game - it watered the flowers and plants and made them grow bigger later on in the year, watered the crops so towns became more affluent, the lakes and canals overflowed if it rained for too long, it made the price of certain clothing (coats etc) more expensive as the demand was higher, and it made your character develop trenchfoot.

Oh wait, none of that happened.

I really liked the rain in San Andreas at the time, and GTA IV and GTA V are also very good. Red Dead Redemption too. And Skyrim. The rain in open world games is good because you have the changing of the weather which makes it even more atmospheric, rather than 'baked in' rain on a level.

That said, the earlier video of Gears of War looks very impressive. Project Gotham 4 did it very well, and the rain in Metroid Prime was sweet with the distortion on the visor which was a pretty new thing back then I think.

And why did everybody forget the rain in the graveyard of Ocarina of Time.

I really liked the rain in San Andreas at the time, and GTA IV and GTA V are also very good. Red Dead Redemption too. And Skyrim. The rain in open world games is good because you have the changing of the weather which makes it even more atmospheric, rather than 'baked in' rain on a level.

That said, the earlier video of Gears of War looks very impressive. Project Gotham 4 did it very well, and the rain in Metroid Prime was sweet with the distortion on the visor which was a pretty new thing back then I think.

And why did everybody forget the rain in the graveyard of Ocarina of Time.

Despite owning it, I've never played it, but wasn't one of the noteworthy features of PG4 the dynamic weather and how you could see the track start to develop puddles? Did that actually work in practice?

Frankly I don't really remember, it's been ages ago that I last played it. I do remember the weather being good. And the snow being an absolute cunt in a Ferrari race around the Nurburgring.

PGR4 was such a good game, too bad it never really took off online for some reason (that reason was probably Halo 3 being released in the same month if I'm not mistaken). It was the true successor to the amazing PGR2 rather than the somewhat disappointing PGR3.

Got to agree with Sleeping Dogs, at least for third person games. Those F1 and Crysis videos are incredible, though.

Yeah, the beauty of the rain in Sleeping Dogs is that the lights of the city really pop and come alive, I happily would walk or drive around when it rained and ignored anything game-related. Sometimes I would just stand in a scenic place and watch the world go by - it was lovely.

Minecraft... Not technically but in terms of how effective and evocative it is...

A rainy day means more dangerous to construct, you unfinished house makes it feel like its getting damp inside :-)

Many a time I'd shiver as I entered my house during a minecraft rain storm. I actually felt like it was raining IRL

Despite owning it, I've never played it, but wasn't one of the noteworthy features of PG4 the dynamic weather and how you could see the track start to develop puddles? Did that actually work in practice?

The puddles did form during races but it was fairly scripted. Not really that dynamic but I guess that is not all that different to real life tarmac.

The rain in open world games is good because you have the changing of the weather which makes it even more atmospheric, rather than 'baked in' rain on a level.

Agreed. The weather can dramatically alter the open world to give it an entirely different feel. I think Stalker might be my favourite example of this. When the rain starts pouring during nighttime it just transforms the atmosphere to another level of creepiness.

MGS2 is the best, the screen steamed up when you got inside, felt like you had come inside out the rain, this was over 10 years ago

GTAV was good, suddenly raining heavily when it was sunny, reminded me of going to Florida when I was a kid

I loved the rain storm in the graveyard area in Ocarina of Time. The first time I saw that my jaw dropped. I then spent a good ten minutes just wandering around and taking it all in.

I've also been really impressed with the rain in Pikmin 3. Everything really looks damp, and I love the way the water runs down the ramps you have to move. Simply beautiful.

The godus beta (which given 22 cans appear to have stopped posting any updates might be a suitable epitaph for the game) has some really evocative storms. But like most of the content, you've got to click for a load of hours before you ever see them.

I woulda thought someone would of said Zelda :Link to the Past pretty much straight away.

That was so good. It really felt like Link was going out when he really shouldn't be. From tucked up in bed, to out into the cold, wet night. You can do a lot with a little bit of lighting and some falling blue-grey lines.

One of the handful of games that really had an effect on me, enough that I paid it a little tribute in the first level of Rasternauts. And yeah,

(skip to 2:55).