No Man's Sky - 5th anniversary Frontiers update out now

TehStu

I saw my first Exotic ship today - a weird blobby yellow thing with poles sticking horizontally out of it - and now I'm determined to mine enough gold to buy one. I know the base and farming activities are the best way to make lots of credits, but I can't be arsed with all that, so mining it is.

This game is a slow burn but it's become weirdly addictive for me over time.

• 2 weeks later...

New 1.38 patch released:

Spoiler

This patch will be made available on PC platforms first, and will follow on PS4. Read on for full patch notes!

New save system

You will now be presented with 5 save-game slots (each of which can be used for any game mode). Your existing saves will be mapped into these slots

Selecting an empty slot will start a new game, allowing you to then pick which game mode to play from the mode select menu

There are now two sub-slots for each save-game – one for auto saves, one for manual saves

Starting a new game with no existing saves will take you directly to mode select

If you experience any problems with the new save system, be sure to let us know!

Improvements & changes

Made the temperature range of dead planets more varied

In-flight weather effects now vary in strength based on height

The Analysis Visor can now be used to scan farm plants and see the remaining growth time

Analysis Visor can scan ships to determine their class, type and value at a distance

The Analysis Visor can be used to see the approximate distance of resources discovered with the Scanner

Added error message when no outpost is found by the economy scanner

Added the ability to skip black bars when discovering a planet or solar system

Prevented the cursor being reset to the center of the page as you switch between pause menus

Trade outposts now provide hazard protection

Added a chance for pirates to spawn earlier than usual when a player warps into a certain systems, to add more variety to exploration and trading

Galactic map now respects user mouse sensitivity settings

Galactic map now respects user control inversion settings

Prevented trade terminals having a negative quantity of stock

Made trading terminal stock values replenish over time

Separated stock levels for trading posts and space stations in the same system

Lush biomes in survival mode now occasionally exist without an aggressive sentinel presence

Reduced cursor UI slowdown when using a pad

Improved NPC ship target selection in space battles, prevented them reacting to accidental player fire

Added exotic ship audio for AI and NPC ships

Added ability to transfer items to and from containers in your base or freighter

Added tooltip text to explain the planet icons on the discovery page

Added ability to sell items from ship cargo slots at terminals

Storms on humid/lush planets are no longer toxic; humid/lush planets now have a chance of their rain being very hot. Note: no new storms have been added, and the frequency of storms has not been adjusted. Humid planets that previously had freezing rain storms in 1.3 have had that storm type changes to heated rain.

Added ability to transfer items from cargo slots during maintenance interactions

Improved trading by giving NPCs independent stock levels

Made NPCs who give directions refer to a wider spread of locations

Added ability to rebind the discard key

Bug fixes

Fixed an issue where some delivery missions would continuously tell players to visit other systems

Fixed an issue where the requirements to complete some missions could change as you spoke to NPCs

Fixed scaling issues with creature feeding icons

Fixed an issue where mining units would occasionally incorrectly produce Heridium

Prevented mining units being placed inside each other

Fixed an issue where base parts, including storage containers, built outside the base building radius in unlimited building mode would not be transferred when the player moved to a new base

Fixed an issue where storm-prone planets could be labelled as ‘Mild’. Storm frequency has not been adjusted – the text should now more accurately describe weather conditions.

Fixed an issue where the terrain manipulator audio would occasionally continue after terrain editing completed

Fixed an issue where the terrain manipulator hologram would remain in one location after subtracting from the terrain

Fixed an issue where the terrain manipulator would occasionally create longer lines than intended

Fixed an issue where the ship crosshair would appear at incorrect times

Fixed the Upload All button on the discovery page not deactivating after being used

Corrected button prompts in the ship combat wiki

Restored Spectral Class to the galaxy map text

Prevented users occasionally falling outside the trading post platform when exiting their ship

Prevented traders from attacking pirates which are far out of their range

Fixed an issue where NPC ships would stop outside the entrance of freighters and space stations in systems with no trade routes

Fixed an issue where smaller freighters and containers could not be destroyed
Corrected Roamer and Rover inventories appearing incorrectly in the transfer window

Added protection to allow the Mind Arc step of the Artemis story to be completed even if a player deletes their base

Fixed issue where a blue eye icon would occasionally appear over the crosshair

Fixed an issue where the Space Anomaly could remain in the player’s home system indefinitely

Fixed an issue with dismantling tech on ship compare screens not correctly destroying the tech

Fixed an issue where unbinding a key would exit the control menu

Fixed an issue where selecting a new key binding could accidentally result in it being set to a mouse button

Fixed an issue where the Space Anomaly mission had no objective text in the log.

Fixed an issue where some players who should have been able to restart distant missions were unable to do so

Fixed an issue which could cause excess stacked inventory items to be lost

I'm hoping it fixes a bug I've hit where the next Atlas station isn't appearing. I wouldn't care too much except I can't find black holes yet, so it's making my trip to the centre totally impossible. On the plus side my farming has reaped significant rewards and I'm now the owner of a freighter. It's not the 300 million unit beauty I had my eye on, but it's a start.

Ooh, feels a bit more responsive on bog standard PS4 with the new patch.

Being able to access freighter and container inventories remotely and trade directly from cargo inventories is a massive time saver.

Has anyone fitted their freighter with warp capability yet?

I have just reached a point where I have found out about 16 (trying not to spoil anything) and wondered if there is any story after that? I really enjoyed following the Artemis storyline, and having some focus as to what I was doing.

I don't want to go back to just scanning animals and plants. I want to keep discovering new mysteries.

I found this following the Atlas Rising update. Prior to that I'd been pretty badass (using the upgraded phase beam/backing away technique!) but now I find the best option is to run away, unless you can lure your adersaries down to a planet's atmosphere.

Not found the other weapon types to be particularly useful/accurate - but I'm fully prepared to accept that I'm just shit at the combat.

On 10/7/2017 at 15:27, Davros sock drawer said:

Noticed this as soon as I started playing last night.

Also, is it me or are the inventory icons for items, tech etc more clear/sharper?

The whole game on the Pro seems sharper now - but maybe that's just me.

It definitely looks sharper.

Turns out my issue with the Atlas Path missions wasn't a bug, it was something in the Artemis mission that had screwed it up.

Spoiler

Part of that mission dumps you on a random planet in space, which in my case was 100,000 space miles from the next Atlas. Luckily my home base planet was only about 1000 space miles away from it.

Anyway, I've now finished the Atlas Path. I had already finished it when the game was first released, which basically involved not very much at all, hopping between systems and reading some text. But the changes they made in the recent patches have massively improved it. Finishing it this time was a really epic adventure, involving me upgrading my ship, scouring weird planets for resources I'd barely heard of, and was topped off with a nice visual payoff. 

This game is now the game it probably should have been when it was released. I still thought it was good then, but it's superb now. Apparently I've put 180 hours into survival mode!

I'm distracted by ME:Andromeda for $12, but I'm in a bit of a quandary with what to do next. Basically, I suck at combat. I don't find it even remotely intuitive on a pad (not limited to the DS4, I suck at Elite on the xbox pad, too). Too many years of flightsticks on the PC. Anyway, I have a 26 slot shuttle, pretty pants, and 3M in the bank. Is it worth grinding for a better ship, or shall I just put those fair amount of slots to use with as many shield and gun upgrades as I have access to? I have no idea how the new rating system works - I see some ships have, say, 10% extra shield or similar, but I don't know if that just means they're equipped with better shield components or inherently have better shields even before you apply upgrades. If I do eventually find a fighter ship, will it be more maneuverable? 

Perhaps I should just do shields for now. I dread being knocked out of pulse drive by an interdictor but I've managed to outrun a swarm of bad guys before by holding down O and jamming L1 or R1 such that I'm constantly spinning, like in a corkscrew.

• 3 weeks later...

Finally got this game refunded on GOG, since it lacks certain features like base sharing and online multiplayer still.

Then purchased it on Steam for about half the price I originally paid thanks to the Halloween sale.  Such good timing. 8-)

I love GOG, but the Steam version just has more features at the moment.

Edit: Why was this comment disliked so much?  Guess I'm gonna have to stop using GOG out of spite, now. :lol:

*refunds all GOG titles*

• 2 weeks later...

I finally picked this up because it dropped in price.

Quite interesting, however getting to learn the basics isnt the most straightforward.

Any tips?

4 minutes ago, Dinobot said:

Quite interesting, however getting to learn the basics isnt the most straightforward.

Any tips?

The start of the game for quite a few hours is pretty much a tutorial so I'd just suggest following it to begin with until you you've at least got off the first planet. It should be fairly straight forward. Anything in particular you're struggling with? I'm assume you're playing on normal btw, it can be much harder on higher settings.

1 hour ago, Dinobot said:

Any tips?

Learn how to use the Jetpack dash glitch and it makes getting from A to B a bit better for long treks on foot.

Yeah I'm off the first planet now.

I just found the user interface a bit confusing, and when I make a gun I had to Google how to switch back to the mining laser!

Attacked a freighter and got killed, tried to run but couldn't. Well harsh lesson! Still seems fun enough, looking forward to exploring more :)

So I'm getting into this now. Very slowly yet it's nice and relaxing.

Except I've not built up a small amount of cash and I'm worried I may lose all my stuff if I get killed - which has happened once.

Is it possible to bank stuff anywhere?

I've seen uninhabited structures, can I claimed them? And/or leave items and credits there?

2 minutes ago, Dinobot said:

Is it possible to bank stuff anywhere?

I've seen uninhabited structures, can I claimed them? And/or leave items and credits there?

Yes - Once you claim a structure and make it your base, you'll go through a quest line that will open up a bunch of things for the base, including Storage units.

It's worth doing anyway, just for having a portal that will let you get to a couple of your most recent Galaxy Space Stations - If you base yourself on a planet that has a ton of materials for Fuel, that's obviously handy as well if you end up somewhere shit.

On 20/11/2017 at 19:36, Siri said:

Yes - Once you claim a structure and make it your base, you'll go through a quest line that will open up a bunch of things for the base, including Storage units.

It's worth doing anyway, just for having a portal that will let you get to a couple of your most recent Galaxy Space Stations - If you base yourself on a planet that has a ton of materials for Fuel, that's obviously handy as well if you end up somewhere shit.

Aha I found out how to do it!

I spent some credits on upgrading the base/quest line done to a point.

To be honest the base itself is on a tiny crappy small planet that's just cold and nasty. I'll no doubt move.

Any tips for avoiding combat/pirates? They will usually kill me and without a way to store my credits...

OR should I turn credits into items...how much can I store at my base? I've not seen a storage point at the base.

Then surely I can go to another star system, teleport back if priced are goods and mule myself to huge profits?

• TehStu changed the title to No Man's Sky - 5th anniversary Frontiers update out now