Jump to content

No Man's Sky - 5th anniversary Frontiers update out now


TehStu
 Share

Recommended Posts

7 minutes ago, StephenM said:

Hrmph I think I might have hit a bug in the very last stages of the Artemis story. Basically go to a structure and, while the marker is present, the structure isn't 😞

 

 

Are you sure it's an exact location and not an approximate one? You might need to track it down with your objective scanner.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Mogster said:

Are you sure it's an exact location and not an approximate one? You might need to track it down with your objective scanner.

 

I did wonder that, but the scanner says I'm on top of it! Will have to see if there's a way to reset that step -- I think if I travel far out of the galaxy it gives you an option to re-map it?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, Uncle Nasty said:

Is it possible to get first person view back when you're on foot?

Yes. It's one of the options you get when you use the D+Pad up or down menus.

 

I really like the third person view for on foot stuff, but still prefer the cockpit view for the ships.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I want to officially log this as the absolute very last time I install this game because of the latest snazzy looking update, get bored out of my mind shooting rocks and uninstall the fucking thing again.

 

If anything it's even more tedious than it was at launch, the amount of systems and crap to remember is so stressful and unrewarding. The crafting and inventory management is completely overwhelming.

 

Somehow the graphics are uglier to me - less stylised and gaudier. The creatures are remedial level, terrible designs.

 

Anyway, done with it for good.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm back to loving it! However. I need to increase my inventory slots and they seem bloody expensive and you only got one free one from each space station. Any tips for quick increases? Also same with my ship which is still the starter one but any I have found are knackered and can't be fixed. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, Parappa said:

I'm back to loving it! However. I need to increase my inventory slots and they seem bloody expensive and you only got one free one from each space station. Any tips for quick increases? Also same with my ship which is still the starter one but any I have found are knackered and can't be fixed. 

 

Free one? Each station lets you buy one but they're pretty cheap to start with, if you're doing the main exosuit inventory. If you find the teleport in each station, travel to another player's world, take off and fly to station, buy slot. No need to warp. The technology and cargo slots are definitely expensive, mind.

 

I actually bought my first new ship this time, cost 500k part ex, from some dude parked at a station.

 

Quick way to make money - find ancient ruins. With the portable scanner, if you find one of those buildings with language stones, activate the thing there and select "learn about history" or something. That gives you a way point to ancient ruins. While there, look at ground through scanner and use terrain tool to dig. There will be a chest unlocked with a few keys, all spread about. The thing in the chest has been worth 1.5 to 2m credits so far. I've done 4 of these so far, easy starter money.

 

Or, find a trade center (big npc base) and find the vending machine that'll sell you a map to ancient ruins for 15 nanites.

 

I also just got about 2m for a rare set of bones, planets with those in the description on the scanner are worth spending time on.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, TehStu said:

 

Free one? Each station lets you buy one but they're pretty cheap to start with, if you're doing the main exosuit inventory. If you find the teleport in each station, travel to another player's world, take off and fly to station, buy slot. No need to warp. The technology and cargo slots are definitely expensive, mind.

 

I actually bought my first new ship this time, cost 500k part ex, from some dude parked at a station.

 

Quick way to make money - find ancient ruins. With the portable scanner, if you find one of those buildings with language stones, activate the thing there and select "learn about history" or something. That gives you a way point to ancient ruins. While there, look at ground through scanner and use terrain tool to dig. There will be a chest unlocked with a few keys, all spread about. The thing in the chest has been worth 1.5 to 2m credits so far. I've done 4 of these so far, easy starter money.

 

Or, find a trade center (big npc base) and find the vending machine that'll sell you a map to ancient ruins for 15 nanites.

 

I also just got about 2m for a rare set of bones, planets with those in the description on the scanner are worth spending time on.

Oh wow thanks. Certainly going to try the ancient ruins method. Only about 5 hours in but a bigger inventory would certainly help! 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Parappa said:

I'm back to loving it! However. I need to increase my inventory slots and they seem bloody expensive and you only got one free one from each space station. Any tips for quick increases? Also same with my ship which is still the starter one but any I have found are knackered and can't be fixed. 

Drop pods. Find a drop pod, repair the 3 bits of damaged tech using craftable components (assuming you have the blueprint for the component) & you can claim an inventory slot from the pod. If I remember (haven't played since last year) you can choose which inventory to upgrade.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...

I fancied dipping back into this yesterday after having not played in 2 years to check out what's been added, but was immediately a bit lost. I have a save with about 120 hours in it, but it was difficult to know how to approach it. I have loads of stuff in my inventories that I can't really remember what it does, and a freighter with a storage organisation system that presumably once made sense but I have no clue about now. And it doesn't seem like I have any new questlines or anything that I could see.

 

I realise the obvious answer is to start a new save but the idea of grinding out enough suit storage space to get away from the hours of playing "no free slot in suit inventory" simulator isn't a particularly fun prospect to be honest. Don't suppose anyone has any advice for returning to the game? Is the fun new stuff mostly multiplayer based? Because I never really touched that side of the game that much and don't currently have a ps4 online sub. Is there really no new questlines after 2 years*, or have I forgotten even how to explore that part of the game?

 

*not saying there *should* be, it's amazing how they've kept updating the game! I just got the impression there would be a fair bit of new stuff to see/do

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Isn't the quickest way to boost your inventory to simply jump through the anomaly portal to other people's bases and from there you can take off and find a new space station?

 

Also, if you want to make some cash fast, park the anomaly as close to a fleet of freighters as you can, then shoot the crap out of them for resources. Then you can quickly duck into the anomaly to lose the sentinels. At least that's how it used to work.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Number 28 said:

Isn't the quickest way to boost your inventory to simply jump through the anomaly portal to other people's bases and from there you can take off and find a new space station?

 

@John0 I could see continuing with a prior save after 2 years off being really confusing. I don't think the game walks you through that at all.

 

That said, the above is how to quickly boost inventory. Just build or use a station/anomaly portal to hit up a few planets discovered by other players, take off, fly to space station and visit the suit vendor to buy a suit upgrade (use the machine to the left of the vendor). 

 

Have you done the Artemis quest line? There was also freighter, which I think you've done, and I believe living ships, although I've never got that far. Too busy walking across planets.

 

My preferred means of quick money early on, having started over a few weeks ago, is to find ancient ruins, which I talked about a few posts back on June 10. Clock up a few million easy, which is enough to quickly get into a fancy ship. That was much more of a grind, for me anyway, last time I played.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Worth noting that you can actually get two suit upgrades per system - one is on the station, the other in the Anomaly next to the exosuit upgrade guy. 

 

For fast cash, if you already have the resources to craft medium refiners then you can simply slap a load of cobalt and oxygen (buy it from pilots at a space station - they'll sell about 2000 each and you only need 13k or so to make decent scratch) in them, make loads of stacks of ionised cobalt, then put it back in the refiner to make (I think) something like eight times the cobalt you started off with. Since cobalt is bought in every system, you can sell your whole stash there, then buy the whole lot back for a fraction of the cost - I net around 60 million units a system like this (there are two system economies - one planetside, one on the station). 

 

Sorry if this has been mentioned earlier in the thread! I picked this up again a month or so ago and am having a blast so am slightly obsessive with it. My partner is off home for a month on Saturday, and whilst I'm ostensibly sad, I have a big bag of weed and, since I'm dropping her off at the airport early doors, a whole goddamn weekend to myself :)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Cool, cheers all. I will try and muster the strength to start a new save, but (although it does all seem a little different now) I feel like I've done all this money making and upgrade grinding before and doing it again just feels a bit uhg. Like, there was fun in between and surrounding the grinding last time, but now I'm not convinced there's enough new stuff to make it worthwhile again. But can't hurt to try.. maybe I'll get into it :).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I just dived into this for the first time in a while. And then, just like that, over 5 hours disappeared in a row. Playing on a standard PS4 here, but it helps that it's prettier and less buggy than the last patch I remember. Very smooth performance and beautiful worlds and skies.

 

I can't help but love this game. The "what's round the corner?" feeling just never leaves, for some reason - and discovering buildings and creatures and other happenings reminds me of my favourite sci-fi novels and dreams as a kid about the ideal hypothetical space game. All my friends who have seen me play it hate it, make jokes about me playing it and point out flaws, but for whatever reason the experience is magical and engrossing every time. Even the mechanics appeal and, whilst I would usually find grinding in games awful, here in this universe I'm happy to mine and grind ad infinitum.

In its tone and atmosphere and strange gaming antics to keep you going, it feels like a title made just for me. And it's very nice to see on this forum I'm not alone. It all holds together as such a beautiful cohesive weird whole and is more than the sum of its parts.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...

That seems like a lovely victory lap to me. They've done so very well with this. (And I still haven't seen a lot of the later content despite playing regularly still). May well pop in shortly - day off tomorrow.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 4 weeks later...

PLANETARY SETTLEMENTS!

 

Quote

These settlements are essentially “little towns, filled with NPCs with their own tasks and problems”, as Hello explains in a press release. You can not only stumble across these, but also opt to lead them as an ‘overseer’, and grow them from fledgling outposts into much bigger, thriving places. If you take on this role, you’ll get to construct new buildings, which’ll encourage more folks to move there.

The update also overhauls the game’s existing base building feature to aid in this, as well as adding hundreds of new parts for bases, advanced building controls, and a new grid-style menu to help you build even more complex and ambitious structures. Each settlement is procedurally generated, with its own layout and style, and as a leader of one you can rename it as you like.

 

You can still only have one player base per planet, right? We should find a nice system (presumably after getting to the galactic centre, which I've been too distracted to get to in 5 years), and create the Saveloy System. Assuming folks here are still regularly playing. I got totally distracted after my "I'm definitely going to just do the story missions this time" new save, by Minecraft Dungeons and a replay of Crackdown 3. I need to get back on the space saddle. 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

If anyone else on Xbox runs into the issue I had with being unable to load your save file:

 

Create a new game and once the initialisation right at the very start has completed just quit out to the main menu (no need to save). You should then be able to load the save you actually want.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, TehStu said:

PLANETARY SETTLEMENTS!

 

 

You can still only have one player base per planet, right? We should find a nice system (presumably after getting to the galactic centre, which I've been too distracted to get to in 5 years), and create the Saveloy System. Assuming folks here are still regularly playing. I got totally distracted after my "I'm definitely going to just do the story missions this time" new save, by Minecraft Dungeons and a replay of Crackdown 3. I need to get back on the space saddle. 

 

 

 

Pretty sure you can have as many as you want. I was a little disappointed when I built 3 close to each other to mine different materials that I couldn't actually join them up with power and pipelines to have them all converge into one central base hub.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Have they changed/reset the controls again? I remember another update where the controls switched and remapping was a total nightmare. It could just be my DS4 pad though, which seems to have broken. The cable doesn't stay properly fixed at the back and I keep having to go into the device manager (which can't be pinned to the taskbar...) and 'enable' it each time it disconnects. £45 down the toilet. :facepalm:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, Number 28 said:

Have they changed/reset the controls again? I remember another update where the controls switched and remapping was a total nightmare. It could just be my DS4 pad though, which seems to have broken. The cable doesn't stay properly fixed at the back and I keep having to go into the device manager (which can't be pinned to the taskbar...) and 'enable' it each time it disconnects. £45 down the toilet. :facepalm:

create a new desktop shortcut to devmgmt.msc - pin to task bar. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Use of this website is subject to our Privacy Policy, Terms of Use, and Guidelines.