No Man's Sky - 5th anniversary Frontiers update out now

TehStu

This article may convince me to go back in https://www.pcgamer.com/no-mans-skys-settlers-are-the-most-miserable-bunch-of-creeps-ive-ever-met/?

I walk into my office in No Man's Sky.

That's not a phrase I thought I'd ever write, because why would I have an office in a limitless space exploration game? Well, the Frontiers update added settlements and as the new "Overseer" of the settlement (those quotation marks are sarcastic and will be explained shortly) I now have an office at the settlement for doing settlement management things.

So, I walk into my office in No Man's Sky. Waiting for me in the dark, sitting in my chair and illuminated by the light of a single lamp, is one of the Gek settlers. I can read his thoughts. He's jealous of me.

How can I read his thoughts? That's an excellent question. Along with my new job as settlement manager, I can read the thoughts, or at least the emotions and actions, of all the settlers in little text-pop-ups that hover around their bodies. I'm not sure why becoming a settlement admin means I suddenly have psychic powers, especially since I don't even speak Gek that well in the first place.

BWd2RWefDKWm3RYTVaWRpk-970-80.jpg

I'm really impressed by how much they've transformed the game since it was released, but I have to admit to being disappointed with the nature of pretty much every release. The thing that attracted me to the game in the first place was the idea of being a lone individual adrift in a vast universe. If anything even the first release had too many outposts and space stations for me. I would have preferred them to be a little less frequent but also more impactful. Each one a welcome oasis in the vast expanses of unpopulated space.

I'm pretty sure I've said this before in this thread, but I'm reminded of it every time they add another update.

Yeah that's fair I reckon. I am totally addicted again on my third new start (original release, then PSVR and now latest update on a really good PC). It's a really great experience but you quickly feel like you can see it as a series of spreadsheets, "Planet X2 - add 4 elements - 10 fauna - 4 minerals - 10 flora - tileset=icey etc..". It would be nice if there were some truly unique discoveries, the uniqueness is the combination of randomised elements but it feels like you see that same assortment of random possibility on every planetoid.

It is a shame they haven't sprinkled the notion of completely blank systems with no space stations etc (again maybe I just haven't found any, the issue with randomness is how unrandom it can seem at times).

On 06/09/2021 at 10:31, David Kenny said:

I'm really impressed by how much they've transformed the game since it was released, but I have to admit to being disappointed with the nature of pretty much every release. The thing that attracted me to the game in the first place was the idea of being a lone individual adrift in a vast universe. If anything even the first release had too many outposts and space stations for me. I would have preferred them to be a little less frequent but also more impactful. Each one a welcome oasis in the vast expanses of unpopulated space.

I'm pretty sure I've said this before in this thread, but I'm reminded of it every time they add another update.

Yes, same here. I love that they’ve added so much to it, but unfortunately it’s no longer the game I loved to actually play upon release. With every update it gets further away from that.

It completely lost that abandoned, isolated, melancholic Silent Running vibe that it used to have. Everywhere is teeming with life and stuff to do now, last time I played it I came away feeling exhausted with all the work it had me doing, none of it much fun. There's very little risk/reward involved even on the higher level missions that you get from Space Stations - I really wanted to see a Rescue On Fractalus style rescue mission type with limited fuel, hostile enemies and increased damage to your ship, but there's just nothing there that tests your skill either as a pilot, navigator or at combat. The core of it is so bland and repetitive.

I don't agree* but I can definitely see what you're saying. There's some irony in "where's our multiplayer, you promised multiplayer?!" early on having been answered in spades and the game altered as a consequence. I suppose you don't have to go the hub station, but then you won't be able to see the story. It is kinda weird how systems are usually inhabited... a little. Like, just enough that you don't have that isolation but not enough that it seems reasonable that just a handful of species are everywhere in a galaxy.

Caveat: I'm nowhere near the galactic core yet, after all this time.

*I'm mostly able to mentally filter everything else out, even when I do need to go to the hub station. Otherwise, it's me vs the elements.

I’ve restarted this about five times and each iteration gets more tedious in the amount of stuff you need to do anything. The first run to completion was the best now it’s just about collecting an ever growing list of materials that you now need to process and refine then combine enabling you to create an item that leads to another growing list of items…