IGNORED

No Man's Sky - Leviathan | Switch version Oct 7th

TehStu

11 minutes ago, K said:

Are you sure? I thought pre-patch saves weren't compatible with the post-patch game.

http://www.no-mans-sky.com/2016/08/update-1-03/

If you had an early copy somehow, your save game will technically work post update, but you will miss out on new content and experiences if you don’t delete your save before updating

I didn't test it though.

I would imagine they're safe to change any aspect of the planet algorithms, since the planets are reset whenever you leave. So if they changed some aspect, such as how plutonium spawns, or whether the tides go in and out, or if there are different levels of gravity or whatever, the planet would simply be different when you returned. It wouldn't have an effect on anyone's game, except in situations where you were returning repeatedly to a planet to mine a resource. I guess the locations and creatures you've named would have to stay, ideally, but that doesn't sound like a problem, and adding new stuff on top of that would be fine.

The star system generation, I think that would have to stay as-is, but I can't see why changing planet-level stuff would be problematic (in terms of gameplay, that is, I'm sure it'd be a right bastard to actually implement well).

51 minutes ago, TehStu said:

Pray for enough little red boxes? In Elite, I guess you'd have to request a rescue mission from other players.

I'd really like a hardcore mode like that.

Yeah I thought NMS was touted as quite a hardcore game in terms of survival - Dark Souls-esque in that respect. I'm sure that was one of the touch points.

The terror I've felt when getting lost in underground caves, attacked by pirates or stranded in a storm on a hellishly inhospitable planet with no fuel for the booster rockets is quickly assuaged as I realised there's not much to lose even if I did die.

I'm genuinely baffled by people struggling to find Plutonium. It's bloody everywhere in my game! Perhaps it gets increasingly rare as you move forwards? I've only jumped about 20 systems so far, so maybe I just landed in the Plutonium cluster of the Euclid Galaxy!

Iridium, on the other hand ... 

A patch for both PC and PS4 will be released this week. These will fix the most urgent and critical issues for all our players. Then next week another patch for PS4 and PC will be released which will help to improve the experience further for players. We will keep you updated.

Excerpt from a response I got after emailing a bug report last week.

1 hour ago, Tailfly said:

Yeah iridium can be a struggle to find. My current one

is gold, need a bunch for an upgrade and haven't found a drop in the system I'm in.

Loads of irridium, copper etc starts appearing very frequently on planets when you start visiting the colour of stars you unlock with the better warp drives

12 minutes ago, Flub said:

Loads of irridium, copper etc starts appearing very frequently on planets when you start visiting the colour of stars you unlock with the better warp drives

I had so much Iridium on my starting  system planets that I thought it must be really common.Copper I find mostly in asteroids, and lots of it now. I thought I better hoard that Christanyte or whatever it is called because I never found any, until I came across a planet that had masses of the stuff. Aluminium and Zinc is what I've never got enough of....

18 minutes ago, Mentazm said:

Going to wait for a few patches on PC. Seemed to be running fine on medium on my 970 yesterday but last patch has messed it up again.

You tried the experimental patch? Runs fine on my i7 / 970..

16 minutes ago, Danster said:

I had so much Iridium on my starting  system planets that I thought it must be really common.Copper I find mostly in asteroids, and lots of it now. I thought I better hoard that Christanyte or whatever it is called because I never found any, until I came across a planet that had masses of the stuff. Aluminium and Zinc is what I've never got enough of....

Zinc comes from the yellow flowers. That are on every planet. Aluminum comes in gravestone shaped silver monoliths on certain planets. 

43 minutes ago, dood said:

Zinc comes from the yellow flowers. That are on every planet. Aluminum comes in gravestone shaped silver monoliths on certain planets. 

I've seen Aluminium in crystalline form a la Plutonium too...

Thinking more on the potentiality of them having to quickly remove the superformula stuff, that could account for the wildlife being as er.. Repetitive as it is too.  I mean, there is variety, but fuck me I've seen way too many similarities. 

Wonderful. I had pretty good performance on the PC version of this. Installed the latest NVidia drivers that are supposed to make the game play better. It's turned into a fucking powerpoint presentation.

I'd only seen aluminum in is crystalline form until this evening. I knew that zinc was in the flowers, but I just couldn't find any. Have got a stash now though.

I seem to be hitting a crash loop currently, everytime I try to warp :( fingers crossed as I try again...

• TehStu changed the title to No Man's Sky - Leviathan | Switch version Oct 7th