IGNORED

No Man's Sky - Leviathan | Switch version Oct 7th

TehStu

Don't really see the point of having all the slots on the ships anyway. You don't need it. A couple spare for Drive, Weapons and Shield upgrades and a 25-er is plenty big enough to warp and visit planets. Having a decent multi-tool is of far more practical use (bye-bye Sentinels) and as big a suit as possible helps too. 

What do you use the ship for? travelling between stars and around planets. there's no need to hoard masses of fuel or cheap commodities (like iron and carbon). Sell up your metals, free yourself from limitation, follow the Atlas, it is the all and the only thing that truly matters, believe...

Wish you could get units back for selling your current ship though.

9 minutes ago, Broker said:

What the hell is the point of base building in a game where it's barely possible to return to systems and even if you do there's no functional way whatsoever to find anything on the planets?

I'd assumed the whole mechanic would be 'If you build a base on this planet, there'll be a way to get back to it conveniently.'

If it's not that, I don't know what it is...!

10 minutes ago, StephenM said:

I'd assumed the whole mechanic would be 'If you build a base on this planet, there'll be a way to get back to it conveniently.'

If it's not that, I don't know what it is...!

The idea only works if you are building a super star destroyer style ship, which follows you each jump. Base building holds no appeal to me what so ever but I'd spend time building a big spaceship because I'm 35 and fuck it.

11 minutes ago, Danster said:

Don't really see the point of having all the slots on the ships anyway. You don't need it. A couple spare for Drive, Weapons and Shield upgrades and a 25-er is plenty big enough to warp and visit planets. Having a decent multi-tool is of far more practical use (bye-bye Sentinels) and as big a suit as possible helps too. 

What do you use the ship for? travelling between stars and around planets. there's no need to hoard masses of fuel or cheap commodities (like iron and carbon). Sell up your metals, free yourself from limitation, follow the Atlas, it is the all and the only thing that truly matters, believe...

Wish you could get units back for selling your current ship though.

I've been following the Atlas and so far its taken me to the most boring or hostile planets I've seen. So I think I'm going to venture off path for a bit next time I play. I just wanted a new ship without having to farm credits or find 20 crashed ones.

It was basically rocks / barrenness on my first six or so planets, I mean nice looking rocks / atmosphere on some of them but still relatively barren.

The last three planets however have been one which was 80% ocean with lots of small islands & then one with loads of grass, lush vegetation & crazy animals & finally I'm on the one mentioned above with the extreme weather & crazy storms, which is amazing.

Just the luck of the draw, I'm sure it'll be rocks, rocks & more rocks again soon enough! :)

45 minutes ago, meatbin said:

Ooh that's bug!  Not sure how I feel about that one, would also be worried it could bugger up save.

Fingers crossed no issues with my save thus far, but if it does cause my save file to corrupt? Serves me right for exploiting the game then I guess.

Call me lazy but I'm getting really tired of having to scan new stuff you see. Wishing there was an upgrade that made it automatic so all you had to do to scan was see something new and it did it automatically. 

If its like that it'll have scary sentinals right?

Kill em instead and source plutonium.

That'll give you Titanium and with that you can make liminniniumamum if you have the blueprint. Its worth more then Grav balls.

Leaving yourself two or three slots of plutonium for ship/gun purposes.

8 minutes ago, Sng said:

Call me lazy but I'm getting really tired of having to scan new stuff you see. Wishing there was an upgrade that made it automatic so all you had to do to scan was see something new and it did it automatically. 

I barely bother. It's only for the OCD, or credits. Neither of which are hard to get. I name the planets and systems, and upload anything else I can be bothered to with default names.

7 minutes ago, Uncle Mike said:

I barely bother. It's only for the OCD, or credits. Neither of which are hard to get. I name the planets and systems, and upload anything else I can be bothered to with default names.

The Universe's most lethargic Adventurer, "look whats that incredible looking creature over there?"  "Who fucking cares....Lets call this planet, planet C and just move on already"

I love it, I've been playing quite a bit since release so I am going to slow it down a bit. Need to get back to playing Destiny & finishing off Walking Dead Michonne series.

The game has it's flaws but given time I am sure Hello Games will fix the majority & introduce new features.

It's basically a delivery system for procedurally generated SF book covers. People were saying this before launch, but I'm not sure if anyone realised how accurate it was. If you want to go into it as a game, then you're shit out of luck, but if you like wandering round Boris Vallejo paintings, then this is the game for you. Note that this isn't really a criticism - I've already had my money's worth with the game, and seen things and been places that totally justify buying it.

It's definitely the game's strength - even though it can get old for a lot of people quite fast.

It's baffling then that they couldn't see that and decided to incorporate a ton of awful gameplay mechanics that seem to exist purely to slow you down on the journey to see the next thing.  The whole design philosophy is muddled and confused.

It's a fascinating failure though, I don't really understand why some are getting upset that others want to pick the game apart and figure out what went wrong.

21 minutes ago, K said:

It's basically a delivery system for procedurally generated SF book covers. People were saying this before launch, but I'm not sure if anyone realised how accurate it was. If you want to go into it as a game, then you're shit out of luck, but if you like wandering round Boris Vallejo paintings, then this is the game for you. Note that this isn't really a criticism - I've already had my money's worth with the game, and seen things and been places that totally justify buying it.

Yup, I don't feel short-changed at all. If I knew before buying it what I now know, I'd still have bought it. In fact, my general guesses about what the game would be like weren't far off the mark. I know it's a terrible, corny, overused word, but I'm glad I've had the experience. And I'm still often glad to have it, diving onto a new planet just to see what it'll look and feel like. 90% of the time it's meh or seen-before, but then there are times when the ambient music and the models and the lighting combine just right to give you that little shiver of a new alien encounter. Like an insane AI-inhabited 70s lava-lamp crossed with an interactive screen saver based on an old sci-fi novella. I don't know what better word to use to describe that other than 'experience'. It's an interesting and captivating one when that happens. But the game that allows you to see those things, to have those moments, isn't really there, isn't really developed, and what's there isn't really finished. 

It's a very limited title, but a very interesting one, and I'm glad it exists. With better (far better) gaming systems and incentives - and/or some attempt at structure or story - it could be phenomenal. 

I came to exactly the same conclusion as you this morning @Gorf King.

I'd amassed a fortune and unlocked 41 slots in a few hours on the cube mine I'd found yesterday and built a better ship. I could have stayed and mined longer but thought that really wasn't the point of the experience. There's a whole Euclid galaxy out there...

So I made a few jumps and started to look for new blueprints as my next goal and kept getting 'already found' repeatedly. A more few jumps to different worlds offered the same outcome: repeated blueprints, and the same repeated experience through a slightly different coloured lens.

Then I checked the distance to centre and saw that the first number hasn't clicked down once from my first play and I've made over 46 warps; the latter half being 5 systems jumps and five black hole jumps. My immediate thought was, "i'm done, I've seen all I need to see'.

But then I came to realisation that this might be the kind of game you might want to pick up now and again and carry one your journey through the stars; it is stunningly beautiful at times and I have a fading hope that there is more out there somewhere, either hidden amongst those 18 quintillion stars or more likely on an incoming patch that will be bestowed upon us by the check shirted and personable creator.

That hopeful feeling of there being something more or conversely raging at your god for not delivering what you wish for is probably the best universe simulation Sean Murray could have hoped to have achieve.

I'm getting the "tech already known" thing every time I find something that supposedly gives me new tech, and I'm only in the second system. I think I spent far too long on my starter planet, thanks to the bug where I couldn't find that one discovery (I gave up after like 2-3 days; its not there, its bugged, every other planet has 100% discovery, no way is one discovery *that* hard to find).

I'll crack on regardless as I'm an obsessive must see/do everything anyway. Besides the crashes, I'm still actually enjoying the game, despite its many flaws. Patch cant come soon enough though.

I love making little goals for myself in this game, always having a plan to make some more cash or to upgrade something. I'm way away from anywhere, I'm still on my first hyperdrive, I need to upgrade that next, then I think I will just push forward a fast as possible. I don't want to race to the middle but I want to get deeper and closer and maybe see something new then slow down a bit, explore, then push on again. 

I still don't have a clue what's at the center, where the atlas path will lead me, if they're intertwined or completely separate. But I want to know and I don't want to google it.

Pushing on it is!

7 minutes ago, Gorf King said:

Yup, I don't feel short-changed at all. If I knew before buying it what I now know, I'd still have bought it. In fact, my general guesses about what the game would be like weren't far off the mark. I know it's a terrible, corny, overused word, but I'm glad I've had the experience. And I'm still often glad to have it, diving onto a new planet just to see what it'll look and feel like. 90% of the time it's meh or seen-before, but then there are times when the ambient music and the models and the lighting combine just right to give you that little shiver of a new alien encounter. Like an insane AI-inhabited 70s lava-lamp crossed with an interactive screen saver based on an old sci-fi novella. I don't know what better word to use to describe that other than 'experience'. It's an interesting and captivating one when that happens. But the game that allows you to see those things, to have those moments, isn't really there, isn't really developed, and what's there isn't really finished. 

It's a very limited title, but a very interesting one, and I'm glad it exists.

It reminds me a bit of games like Everybody's Gone to the Rapture or Firewatch, where the game is subordinate to the story, but also subordinate to a particular mood the developers want to evoke. There's very little story here, or to be honest any coherent worldbuilding at all, but it is almost entirely focused on recreating one moment, over and over, i.e. boggling at alien landscapes. At the same time though, it reminds me a bit of more conventional games like Halo, which use the mechanics of the game to establish a core gameplay loop, except instead this has a core emotional loop .

It's interesting - and possibly a mistake - that the game was pitched and marketed as a blockbuster, when it's a pretty odd game at heart.

I wonder if not grinding helps slow down having "seen everything". I'm wondering if not hoarding and just letting bigger and better come slowly over time may help. At least until they've had time to patch issues and then look at new content.

• TehStu changed the title to No Man's Sky - Leviathan | Switch version Oct 7th