IGNORED

No Man's Sky - Leviathan | Switch version Oct 7th

TehStu

Love it love it love it. Bought this recently with the PS sale and amazed at how much its sucking me in. I've a love for Elite Dangerous too, so I can see how thats possible but this comes from an entirely different angle.

Great to see this game still getting serious love from the devs. Keeping my fingers crossed for at least a co-op/ 2 player mode for the far future but loving the game as it is - it would just be an amazing addition to an already fascinating game.

I've got stuck with an annoying bug that's put me off playing it (PC version) - I've tried to transport back to my home base via the space port transporter thing and the game crashes out during the warp animation effect....every time. Is there an easy way to fix it? Googling shows it to be an issue but there doesn't seem to be an obvious fix. Really gutted because I was enjoying it but I can't be fussed farming away to get the warp cores to "manually" hyperspace home - I really was in it for the exploration and the procedurally-generated views and scenery rather than being into the actual proper game stuff (the grinding etc).

Hoping they iron it all out in the next patch and I'll return to it then.

8 hours ago, nevsan said:

Love it love it love it. Bought this recently with the PS sale and amazed at how much its sucking me in. I've a love for Elite Dangerous too, so I can see how thats possible but this comes from an entirely different angle.

Great to see this game still getting serious love from the devs. Keeping my fingers crossed for at least a co-op/ 2 player mode for the far future but loving the game as it is - it would just be an amazing addition to an already fascinating game.

I was told by someone who seemed to know their technical onions that networked multiplayer would be impossible with the game as it stands. Deforming the landscape and mining generate a ton of data that would have to be kept in sync.

7 hours ago, MK-1601 said:

I was told by someone who seemed to know their technical onions that networked multiplayer would be impossible with the game as it stands. Deforming the landscape and mining generate a ton of data that would have to be kept in sync.

Not sure that's true.  I was playing Rust with 200 people on one map, all cutting trees, building houses etc, if it can sync a house with all its belongings then No Mans Sky should cope with some land deformities surely.

51 minutes ago, Cool Ben said:

Not sure that's true.  I was playing Rust with 200 people on one map, all cutting trees, building houses etc, if it can sync a house with all its belongings then No Mans Sky should cope with some land deformities surely.

The problem is there's no limit to the amount of deformation. NMS can generate an area of a planet from a seed in a practical amount of time, but every change has to be stored. If you look at carving up a resource deposit, that's hundreds of changes, even running locally it takes a few seconds to reapply them when you go away from an area. Then take into account you can have >1km from the sea bed to the top of a mountain. That's a lot of voxels.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm completely obsessed with permadeath mode, after having taken some time off from the game since the end of last year.

It hits all the right spots for me, feels a bit like an MMO (recalls the masochistic days of trying to solo quests in FFXI) although I confess I am making use of USB back-ups. Doesn't remove the fear of dying and having to redo everything since the last backup.

The biggest killer is rigogen farming. So far every single planet with rigogen has also had max level sentinel aggression. You have to juggle diving under water to escape the laser fire, and surfacing so you don't drown. On my last expedition I landed on an island which apparently had no plutonium on it anywhere. I ended up having to dismantle all my gear (while hiding in a cave about 30 seconds from death) to gather enough resources to refuel my ship for launch just to get the hell out of there (after gathering a whopping total of 10 rigogen).

Which kind of leads me into a question. I landed on a snow planet with abundant oceans last night. Surely there must be rigogen here somewhere. Sentinel level is actually normal though, and my first dip in the sea revealed nothing but bare rock. None of the coral reef type environments where you usually find rigogen. Is the lack of sentinel security a sign that I won't find any rigogen here?

Hallelujah! There be rigogen in them thar seas. It's a bit cold, but other than that (and some giant killer fish) I can go about rigogen harvesting unmolested. I built my first non-homeworld exocraft, the Nomad, and used it to float about above the water surface looking for likely areas. Got about 200, enough to build a medical station back home. I'm almost completely self sufficient now, can generate health, money and have a trade point plus a landing pad for visitors that means I can stock up on essential elements without going on a trek each time. My plan now is keep jumping looking for anomalies to improve my warp drive to max, then take it all the way to the centre for the trophy. Home planet can be a pitstop for refuelling.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm considering purchasing a game and this is a top possibility. Does anyone have any "don't get it if you don't like..." or "you'll enjoy it if you love..." comments about it?

It's a lot of money and I prefer the leaning of games to be more towards hunt/gather/create than fight. I don't mind some combat, as long as there's an option to avoid it a fair bit. If you're literally required to enter combat to do anything in these sorts of games then that might put me off. Just because I enjoy being able to poodle around sometimes when my brain is utterly fried. 

@NexivRed Sorry late to the thread but from what I've played (bought it recently with a Pro upgrade) it's got a Minecraft vibe about it. It has the whole Elite-style freedom/space flying/combat to it (obviously much simpler that Elite Dangerous). The mining of resources on planets is also very mechanically similar to Minecraft, but the way I get sidetracked exploring or mining resources to sell on, feels similar.

That said I'm still in the early part of the game but have upgraded my ship a couple of times and started to build a base.

If you can't find the last one the chances are that you're on a 'Puddle Planet'. These will only have shallow puddles of water, rather than large bodies, meaning that the chances of sea life spawning in the small amount of water you find will be very slim. 

At least, that used to be the case when I played. Been a few months now.

Thanks guys will see if I can find hem this evening, did not like any of the planets I started on so warped to the next galaxy to find one to build my home base.

• 2 weeks later...

Yesterday I finished my journey to the centre on Permadeath mode. I didn't expect much fanfare, so I can't say I was too disappointed with how it turned out. It felt quite satisfying actually, it was such a mammoth trek to get there - and at least I got a trophy unlike all the people who did it pre-pathfinder.

By the way, a tip for anyone going after the trophies - do permadeath first and you get the survival mode trophy at the same time. Nobody in their right mind would want to do that twice (and I had been going to do survival first originally, thank god I didn't).

Back on my normal game and my last task is to find another player's base. I actually started a new game on my alt account planning to have the two meet on a planet somewhere. I got them both to the same distance from the centre and then realised how unfathomably huge the galaxy is. That is never going to work.

I've gone back to NMS a few times recently to try and tag some portals, in case they're going to start doing something in the next update (as Hello Games' little ARG teaser thing suggests). No luck so far though.

There seems to be a common belief that they're usually spawned near ruins, which would explain why observatories and the buggy radar let you find ruins.

Frontier have said they're not ruling out a PSVR version of Elite Dangerous. Now you could say, well obviously they won't say definitely no, but bear in mind they're not offering 4K on the Pro either, so they've clearly still got some work left to do. Guess they'll see how it sells. 

If I'm in a certain mood, I could describe it as the greatest game of all time. Playing on Permadeath was the difference that made it for me - every simple task became a life or death challenge. Having reached the centre with that mode I went back to my original normal mode save, and I have a new found appreciation for what I had there with all the blueprints and formula I collected. The original game just threw everything at you right away, and then you spent the rest of your time picking up duplicates. So I felt a bit apathetic about it all. Now you have to really work to get everything.

What I really want to talk about though, is 'pilgrim star path'. Some insane genius out there found a way to translate the hex code given when you build a signal scanner into a galactic positional reference. Then built a web interface that lets you plug that code in to give one or more destination points, and can plot your current location in reference to that. Black hole traversal always sticks to a fixed distance ring around the centre of the galaxy, so by knowing how far you jumped (drawing another circle around your current position) this app lets you figure out where you arrived at when you go through black holes (where the two circles intersect).

What this means is my aim of having my main account meet up with my alt account is back on! Unfortunately my main account is now a lot closer to the centre, so I switched to my alt and started plotting a course towards the main. First black hole jump dropped me a meagre 35,000 light years behind. I figured that's as close as I was going to get by black hole lottery (if the galaxy chart fills the screen on my ipad, I was about 2cm away) so I started manually jumping from there. My alt only has warp drive sigma, so it was going to take about 600 jumps. Oh dear. To get up to warp drive theta requires having found all creatures on ten planets, plus finding about ten more spacial anomalies which only appear once in a blue moon. Time for a rethink.

OK, so I will back track from the centre with my main account. It will be over in around 60 jumps. The issue here is that the only reference point for navigation in the galaxy map, is the bright centre. I have to turn 145 degrees back from there, which means it is off screen when I'm pointing the right way. So I'm trusting my instincts a fair bit.

https://pahefu.github.io/pilgrimstarpath/

After the best part of a day, and a few abort/restarts when my instincts took me in completely the wrong direction, I've covered about half the distance. The green dot is where I am now, Darwock's location is where I started, and Terminus is my alt accounts base planet.

File 2017-06-25 8 04 29.jpeg

Whilst I haven't a bloody clue about most of what you just posted means, I fucking love it. Sounds like some deep and exploratory shit. I know there were games such as Elite back in the day but I never owned a micro, so for me a game where you plot your trip around the universe visiting planets and using Black Holes as travel aides is new and pretty incredible. This game takes a lot of hours to really hook you but once it does....

Don't think I'll ever go full Einstein like you Darwock, but happy journeys.

Journey complete - I made it as far as the point where my location/destination were overlapping on the chart above. The app has a local mode so I switched to that and positioned myself right next to the arrival point. Even then, the galaxy map is so chock-full of systems that I still had no way of finding my destination. It was a real breakthrough moment when the 'search for discoveries' option picked up on one of the systems my alt account had passed through on the way to Terminus. It really felt like I had made it right there.

The last step was searching around for the correct region of space (by name) and when I found that, just going from star to star, manually looking for it. There was one where the name didn't immediately appear, then after a short pause - boom! I'm home :) 

What a feeling, it would have been literally impossible without that web navigation tool* and even with it was no easy task, it really feels like I've found a needle in a haystack and crossed an entire universe (rather then just one tiny section of a galaxy lol).

* I realise now what an idiot I was to have spent so many days trying, I must have spent hours just browsing the star fields of completely opposite ends of the galaxy argh

• TehStu changed the title to No Man's Sky - Leviathan | Switch version Oct 7th