No Man's Sky - Waypoint | Switch version out now

TehStu

I hadn't played this for a few days, but I got home last night and did that thing where you boot up a console and spend all night browsing your games library, looking for something to play. Then I started up Doom but it was a bit too intense, then I started The Witness and it loaded a particular puzzle I'd been stuck on for a while which hurt my head. It turns out No Man's Sky was the perfect game to play at that very moment; I stuck it on and ended up fucking around for an hour. I suspect I'll be doing this a lot over the coming months.

2 hours ago, PeteJ said:

Even though there are spoilers all over the place, I'm still waiting for LeChuck to make it and spill the beans about how awful the ending apparently is.

Expect a mountain of boiled piss cause it ain't gonna be pretty. 

5 hours ago, dood said:

Oooh... Someone modded it so that space is like, actually black.  Might have to try that out!

http://nomansskymods.com/mods/immersive-space/

1472015531_275850_screenshots_2016082400

1472015535_275850_screenshots_2016082400

I wonder what this looks like from the planets? To be honest, whilst I agreed previously that some actual black space would be nice, now that I've seen it done it looks kind of boring. 

It's really fascinating seeing the mod community run with the game though. Whatever disappointment is being felt in some quarters, there's clearly deep enthusiasm and love for the concept, and it'll be interesting to see what the game looks like in a year's time.

8 minutes ago, Davros sock drawer said:

I wonder what this looks like from the planets? To be honest, whilst I agreed previously that some actual black space would be nice, now that I've seen it done it looks kind of boring. 

It's really fascinating seeing the mod community run with the game though. Whatever disappointment is being felt in some quarters, there's clearly deep enthusiasm and love for the concept, and it'll be interesting to see what the game looks like in a year's time.

Maybe it really is the next Minecraft...

2 hours ago, PeteJ said:

Even though there are spoilers all over the place, I'm still waiting for LeChuck to make it and spill the beans about how awful the ending apparently is.

I've not read any spoilers yet so I have no idea yet what Atlas is or what is in the centre. I am however dicing with danger when visiting gaming sites, reading this thread & watching youtube podcasts in the hope I don't find out.

6 minutes ago, gospvg said:

I've not read any spoilers yet so I have no idea yet what Atlas is or what is in the centre. I am however dicing with danger when visiting gaming sites, reading this thread & watching youtube podcasts in the hope I don't find out.

I don't know either on both routes, I'm right near the end of the Atlas but I probably won't bother with the middle so I'm relying on LeChuck to tell me (in a spoiler, obviously).

We should all play Lost and say what we think will be at the center, so that it's even more disappointing.

I know the general idea was that people thought it would be a multiplayer hub, but wouldn't it be cool if they'd used their planet generation tech and a topographical map of earth to create a scale model of our planet that we could explore? Or maybe even our solar system?

Two doors, a red & blue door. The red door takes you back to your original home planet & the blue door takes you to a mirror where you get to see yourself. What are you? Gek? Korvax? Vy'keen? Human? Sean Murray?

I'm proud of LeChuck for stepping up and taking one for the team.

Imagine if at the end was a barren planet. You scan it and see a portal, the game warns you that you will lose your ship and progress, should you enter. You step through into the iconic scene from the trailer, 65DOS music kicks in. Boom! Joyous redemption 

Aye, after working out the quickest way to do it and starting off, I formed an idea of what's there (especially in view of the clues that seem the only meaningful content in the various paths, once you've concluded them) and decided it's probably not worth it - I'll be happy to read what LeChuck finds and, for once, if it spoils something I won't mind.

So I decided to just head off to blue-star systems, as they're alleged to have a far greater likelihood of good planets, even paradise worlds. After doing about six blue-sun systems in a row, I can't say I found any real truth in that. Maybe they do give a greater likelihood, but it's not exactly an overwhelming difference. So in the end I just started jumping around randomly again.

I'm a bit travelled out now, and feel like I've seen everything I need to see. I've one jump left to hit that last milestone that gives the platinum, so I'm going to go find my last blue-star system on the galactic map, hit warp, and land on the first planet I see. Whatever it is, I'll dismantle the warp drives from my ship and disable it so I can't be tempted by any further wanderlust. That's the place I'll end up calling home. Whether it's heaven or hell I can't know, but whatever it is I'll be ready for it.

2 hours ago, gospvg said:

After a few days off, I was back playing this yesterday. I've jumped to my 2nd system spent a bit of time in the space station, found a nice small yellow ship I liked but it was 10 million

I've calmed down with my gold and emeril mining, because the ship prices are such big jumps that fifteen minutes of concerted mining achieves very little compared to finding a planet with venom sacs, where you can quickly net millions. Trading doesn't work very well because you can't really plan it like you could in Elite, for example - heading to a known anarchist system for narcotics, rich systems for luxury goods and so on. That'd be a nice feature to add, but even then the space restrictions and low payouts would limit its usefulness.

So if I was desperate for a new ship I'd just plough through the planets until I came to a good source of precious materials. Half an hour later, job done - and you can indulge in a fair few scraps at the same time, if you want a bit of excitement.

Yep that is my plan, I'm going to wonder around planet dungeon master for a while collecting those orbs to sell at the nearby trading post that I have placed a way-point on. Once I get 12 million then off to buy that small yellow ship I saw.

10 minutes ago, gospvg said:

Yep that is my plan, I'm going to wonder around planet dungeon master for a while collecting those orbs to sell at the nearby trading post that I have placed a way-point on. Once I get 12 million then off to buy that small yellow ship I saw.

No need for way-points in my experience - just find a shop and then run around the immediate area. I had venom sacs coming out of my ears. Dump everything else in your inventory as best you can, and pay to upgrade at every drop pod you can find, because two extra slots can mean an additional million units per run.

9 minutes ago, Rowan Morrison said:

No need for way-points in my experience - just find a shop and then run around the immediate area. I had venom sacs coming out of my ears. Dump everything else in your inventory as best you can, and pay to upgrade at every drop pod you can find, because two extra slots can mean an additional million units per run.

Exo Suit is maxed out, Gravitino Ball is what I have on the planet.

http://nomanssky.gamepedia.com/Gravitino_Ball

Will make sure I drop off all materials maybe keep some plutonium/carbon in case needed to recharge life support or multi-tool.

Do those venom sac drops stack? The Gravitino Balls don't.

6 minutes ago, gospvg said:

Exo Suit is maxed out, Gravitino Ball is what I have on the planet.

http://nomanssky.gamepedia.com/Gravitino_Ball

Will make sure I drop off all materials maybe keep some plutonium/carbon in case needed to recharge life support or multi-tool.

Do those venom sac drops stack? The Gravitino Balls don't.

Nah, but if you find a good spot you can max out your inventory, sell it all and be back out inside three minutes, especially if you just leg it from the sentinels. I've had the most success with venom sacs, gravitino balls have tended to be more scattered for me. But I expect there are planets carpeted with gravitino out there.

16 minutes ago, Rowan Morrison said:

Venom sacks are worth 500k each?

In other news, earlier I collected the blueprint for 'Environment Protection'.  You know, the standard suit you wear.  Which can't be destroyed.  ANd I can't craft another one. 

What.  

I presume at some point you were supposed to start without it!!  That would've been ace! (ie. can only leave your ship on suitable planets..)

10 minutes ago, dood said:

In other news, earlier I collected the blueprint for 'Environment Protection'.  You know, the standard suit you wear.  Which can't be destroyed.  ANd I can't craft another one. 

What.  

Yeah, I've got the jetpack blueprint, no idea what's going on there. It's a shame because having two would be great.

11 minutes ago, Captain LeChuck said:

You mean 45,000 each, surely.

Yeah, I'm definitely not remembering that right, because otherwise I'd be making 20-odd million per run, which would be madness. I did come off the planet with over 15 million, and that was after a lot of suit upgrades. I also bought a fair amount of materials to max out my multitool, but even so I'm clearly out by an order of magnitude. Apologies!

Of course 15 million sounded like an obscene amount at the time, but it won't even get me a down payment on my next ship. I've still got 6 million left, there isn't much else to spend it on.

What would be great if when you did get to the center of the universe:

You get an infinite range hyperdrive and the ability to jump to any planet and view discovered planets searchable via PSN name.

Then at least I could visit your amazing planets and discoveries (which so far pale into comparison to my finds).

• TehStu changed the title to No Man's Sky - Waypoint | Switch version out now