No Man's Sky - Waypoint | Switch version out now

TehStu

8 minutes ago, Clipper said:

anyone modding yet on PC here. I have downloaded the fast action mod as it is a pain waiting for that circle to go round when you click it with mouse!

244 mods out there already patching in all sorts of stuff... mostly basic right now but some interesting tweaks to the procedural generation too.

Not sure how much to mod or not as updates may break my save etc

I've been tinkering a fair bit!  There's minimal risk of losing data tbh, since most stuff is cosmetic, and the planet-altering stuff is all done through maths an as such is easily reversible.   I'm currently using:

- Fast actions

- HUD hide toggle

- Big Stuff 

- low flight

- scanline / chromatic abberation / etc removal

- shut up (annoying CMD prompt interface but so good for muting repetitive voice samples)

- minimalist pickup icons (made be me!!)

- reduced launch cost (50% version)

There are interesting things coming up daily, though.  It's a really busy scene!!  I'm also compiling a lis tof things I'd like to try and mod myself, might have a bit of a tinker this week..  Here's the list (spoiled for ludicrous length):

Spoiler
  • Reduce buildings on all planets
  • Reduce NPC's on all planets
  • Max 1 drop pod per planet. Often 0.
  • Reduce incidence of freight ships appearing.
  • Think about reducing quantity of materials received for mining. And reduce cost of recipes
  • Make wanted levels permanent per planet / system?
  • Permadeath option
  • Add another binoculars zoom level
  • Change scanner to show mist / vague indicator of resources
  • Icons put on map by beacons etc to be temporary.
  • Remove all tech upgrade vending machines
  • Remove multi tool vending machines
  • Remove / massively reduce planetary shops
  • Reduce number of space stations.
  • Autosave when warping
  • Flying around on planet takes fuel (maybe same fuel as thrusters?)
  • Flying in space normally takes no fuel
  • Reduce thruster / take off fuel use.
  • Increase pulse drive fuel use
  • Increase warp range for low end
  • Increase distance to centre each black hole takes you.
  • Show space stations on galaxy map
  • Allow player to see planet overview of resources before landing (advance scanner only? Hmm)
  • System scan should show all buildings on a planet temporarily
  • Accelerate environment damage significantly
  • Environment damage should not self-recharge
  • Shields should not self recharge.
  • Remove predator indicators.
  • Gravity variance between planets.
  • Change thrusters to only accept thamium for fuel.

3 hours ago, dood said:

Sure, I get that reason / desire to move on to see the next planet too, but I think you could keep that and still make a more interesting 'game' underneath. 

There are so many elements (ho!) of the game which just feel pointless / there for the sake of it, I've listed tons before but here are another couple:

1. Being able to give an npc 20 carbon to then ask for a pitiful amount of common resources. (futile because these resources are plentiful, it's not like you ever get to ask for something genuinely rare or exciting) 

2. Those weird research specimen cases on the walls that increase your standing with a race for no discernable reason whatsoever. (what the fuck do I care about standing with a race other than being now able asking for pitiful amounts of common resources?) 

Both of these systems hint at there being much grander ideas that have somehow never been implemented.  

And I'm just a bit gutted, because playing it I can see the desperate adventures their galaxy tech could offer.. that's the kind of game I was hoping to get, one that gives rise to tales that are shared between players.  

The kinds of stories where you're like "oh man, had a scrape with pirates, during the battle my warp drive and shields were critically damaged.  I was in a system with only a single planet, which had constant toxic storms. No space station there either, so I had no choice but to land and scout for supplies. Visibility was low and my scanner didn't work! Plus my suit tech was being damaged just from walking around!  Unfortunately it was also a Gek system, and they hate me after I helped the Vy'keen destroy one of their fleets!  I couldn't land at / visit any outposts without being attacked, and once they'd spotted me there were gek scout craft in the skies looking for me! I ended up spending most of my time in a cave system, fighting off crab things and collecting resources. All I could find was Iron and Carbon :( I eventually found enough stuff to put my ship back together after camping at a trading post, and shooting down a gek transport to loot the ship. Tasty drive reactors!" 

Instead all we really get is:

"found a planet that looked nice.  Finally randomly found a blueprint I wanted. 

*screenshot* "

I can't disagree with any of that, but my plate is so full with all the things I like doing in the game that I'm not too bothered - yet.

Also, the "opportunity" hasn't passed - they have said a few times I think (and I certainly read it in the interview in Edge 270) that the game won't be the same in a year's time. Who knows what future updates will bring? Between those, and the PC mod scene, I think the future for the game is pretty bright.

3 hours ago, Clipper said:

anyone modding yet on PC here. I have downloaded the fast action mod as it is a pain waiting for that circle to go round when you click it with mouse!

244 mods out there already patching in all sorts of stuff... mostly basic right now but some interesting tweaks to the procedural generation too.

Not sure how much to mod or not as updates may break my save etc

All I've done is make Space black, changed Units Recieved speech into a kerching sound, and added a mod that fools the game into displaying ultra graphics when you've only selected high settings.

which is enough for me, and not game breaking!. although it gets bloody dark at night :). makes it more interesting.

Love that post @dood agree this game could & should have been so much more but I'm still happy with what we have until the next Mass Effect arrives.

So happy yesterday I finally found some gold !!

Wanted to do a destiny style dance. Love you Altered Beast you toxic beauty.

41 minutes ago, gospvg said:

Love that post @dood agree this game could & should have been so much more but I'm still happy with what we have until the next Mass Effect arrives.

So happy yesterday I finally found some gold !!

Wanted to do a destiny style dance.

Literally unplayable. :quote:

29 minutes ago, JPickford said:

Odd how people have different experiences.   Gold has been present on most of the planets I visited.

Lot's of Emeril & Heridium on most of my planets but Gold is very rare & Aluminium.

On 24/08/2016 at 23:58, Davros sock drawer said:

Shame.

Still, look at this 4k "trailer" someone made, PC version, no mods - just gorgeous stuff that is in the game:

Added The Orb to this (with permission from video's original creator), fitted perfectly....

Aluminium has been rare for me, but asteroids are rife with nickel.

Currently farming plutonium which isn't an expensive resource, but the moon I'm on currently has so much of it I've made over 2 million units in an hour.

Found an annoying bug. You know the screen where it shows all the creatures you've scanned, with ticks next to them and empty boxes for missing ones? I'm on a planet with so many creatures they don't all fit on screen and there's no way of scrolling the list to see what I'm missing.

Another marathon session last night. I got "stuck" in a particular system because each and every planet was interesting and worth exploring. In fact I'm surprised to find that I'm still discovering new planet types, or variations on weather etc. 

I landed on this planet last night with the weather type "monsoon", and planet type "Forest". It rained constantly, and had one of the largest creatures I've seen yet roaming about, a sort of six-legged Goat Tiger:

In fact I've been finding some pretty large creatures lately, including my first Brontosaurus type. I'll post some pictures up later, but it's essentially the one from the E3 trailer, just nowhere near as tall (it was around 5m in height). Head was very similar though.

The obvious limitations are a shame though. I wonder what the technical reasons are for the height restrictions? Also there was only two of them, and one was a baby.  I've had dozens of creature on screen at once, so I really don't know why they couldn't have 15 or so moving together. It would have been so much more impressive.

Similarly I've found some nice variants on the larger sea creatures, but none longer than 2.5m, and no more than two at once. Again, I really don't know why.

35 minutes ago, gospvg said:

I think that is for the discoveries, @deKay is talking about the records I think?

See the screen 45seconds into this video 

https://youtu.be/bV1qJBFDiXo?t=45s

Yep, that bit with the green ticks.

EDIT: It shows them all complete, but I'm only 75% complete, if you see what I mean. Some must be off the screen.

Right, I'm with you now. So you've got a tick for all species, but it only says 75% discovered?

Yeah, that must be a bug. I had 13 species to be found last night, and it could fit all the ticked species on one page. How many does it say need to be found? It tells you when you find a new one - it pops up in the bottom right of the screen.

On 8/30/2016 at 08:52, PeteJ said:

I agree base building is a dumb idea that goes against what the game is. Instead, they need to have massive capital ship building, giant ships in space that follow you around and engage in big capital ship fights. And of course, they could allow more inventory space.

If they do introduce base building and you don't like it. I assume you won't have to build a base if you don't want to?

I think the inventory space is annoying, but actually rightly so. The fact you can carry three truck loads of stuff in Fallout and Skyrim is just a little unrealistic.

Well my OCD won't let me leave a planet until I have discovered every species. But I have now been on the same planet for around 7 hours and can't find the final one. I assume it is going to be extinct soon if it is that fucking hard to find.

7 minutes ago, SteveH said:

Well my OCD won't let me leave a planet until I have discovered every species. But I have now been on the same planet for around 7 hours and can't find the final one. I assume it is going to be extinct soon if it is that fucking hard to find.

I had the same problem yesterday. Eventually the final species literally ran up and bit me on the arse. 

I shot it with a grenade.

47 minutes ago, Davros sock drawer said:

Right, I'm with you now. So you've got a tick for all species, but it only says 75% discovered?

Yeah, that must be a bug. I had 13 species to be found last night, and it could fit all the ticked species on one page. How many does it say need to be found? It tells you when you find a new one - it pops up in the bottom right of the screen.

5 or 6, I think.

• TehStu changed the title to No Man's Sky - Waypoint | Switch version out now