No Man's Sky - Waypoint | Switch version out now

TehStu

Yes, that's true - and also the cargo slots only transfer from your ship. So no good if it's out of range.

However I did at least discover you can flick between General, Cargo, and Tech with the d-pad.

Finished the new main quest last night. I thought it was excellent, and would have been even more meaty if I'd had to build a base etc as part of it. But it really did feel like a proper single player campaign to me, and I enjoyed it a lot. 

(Apologies to @JPickford:( )

I think it's time to make some money now. Been looking at some vids and crafting liquid explosives seems fairly easy.

On 26/08/2017 at 22:03, Mogster said:

I thought I made a huge mistake yesterday. I'd read that a good way to harvest kelp sacks was to take the Nomad out over water at night, but my home planet had no water. I found a cool ocean planet yesterday though, with lush grassy islands and no daft environmental conditions. I decided to take the plunge and move my base, losing a few materials in the process but nothing  too bad. My base is on an awesome cliff-lined outcrop overlooking the sea as well, so that's cool. :)

Then I took the Colossus out over the cliffs, and discovered that most of my island is actually a rocky hell hole that's basically impossible to navigate in the bulky vehicle. Also the nearest resource deposit on the scanner was about ten minutes drive away. Oh, and there are no animals on the planet. :facepalm:

Oh well. I did at least find a bunch of kelp sacks, so I think I'll stick around for a while to stockpile a load of those. It's certainly a change of scene from my old hot home.

Just in case, FYI you can build exocraft geobays on any planet, not only your home base one. I always carried the materials needed to build a bay in case I landed on a dangerous planet with lots of good resources. The only downside is you dont get the materials back if you dismantle it (which only happens if you are in radius of your base).

My ship is still a C class, and I'm kinda loathe to add upgrades beyond the basics just in case my cool ship is just around the corner. I should probably just load it up, get a freighter, and worry about a completely awesome ship later. I assume I'm missing out on good planets by not having the better warp drives.

Speaking of which, I found a lovely "developing" Moon, barely an atmosphere but enough to keep stable temps. I love having the planet massive on the horizon all the time. Given how dreadful my other planet is now, I'm tempted to move here. I went back to disassemble my old base when I discovered:

- I no longer know the voltaic cell blueprint, which is the first thing you get with a scientist. I had previously finished all the base building quests, but given the quest engine has dumped me back to "find an overseer", I think it's removed blueprints from my knowledge. This is annoying because they're needed for containers, so I can't build more to make moving less of a chew. Bug city.

- I'm getting lots of mats back from disassembling stuff, except glass. Glass comes off as a thing with a yellow background, like a shield shard. I can't break it down into mats. I made the mistake of junking a stack of 5, worth a daft amount of money.

It's really trying, and were it not for 3 million in the bank and a stupid amount of mats in containers, I think I'd give up and restart. It's pretty bad when updates cause this amount of grief for pretty ardent, long term fans. I will say that it did suddenly realize I know 102 Gek words when I learned a new one. I thought it might figure that out. Sadly, not so for planets visited, thinks I've only been to 2 Geks, which is crazy. So some of the new stats will work for long term players, others won't.

Can someone let me know how to farm on the PS4 version?

i have to create a flower and I can't seem to create them in my suit inventory. It mentions hydrophonic pods which I have built and fuelled (although not fully, perhaps that's it?) but they don't seem to have anywhere I can click to say 'build flower here' 

Online it just mentions the PC version where you press V key.

1 hour ago, hobo said:

Can someone let me know how to farm on the PS4 version?

i have to create a flower and I can't seem to create them in my suit inventory. It mentions hydrophonic pods which I have built and fuelled (although not fully, perhaps that's it?) but they don't seem to have anywhere I can click to say 'build flower here' 

Online it just mentions the PC version where you press V key.

You need to press Up in your base to bring up the bills menu, then cycle through to the farming options. You'll find the plants in there, and you can pop any of them down in your pods once you have the materials.

8 hours ago, Darwock said:

Just in case, FYI you can build exocraft geobays on any planet, not only your home base one. I always carried the materials needed to build a bay in case I landed on a dangerous planet with lots of good resources. The only downside is you dont get the materials back if you dismantle it (which only happens if you are in radius of your base).

I had no idea! That'll make things interesting going forwards.

My new home planet seems to have become actively hostile to me. My base is in a grassy area, but the buildings clear out a patch of grass beneath them when you place them. I loaded my save yesterday though to find the grass had all grown back, right though the floor and into my base. Worse still, the underground section of my farming room had been filled in with dirt, to the point where I couldn't even see it to delete it. You can just about see the top of the ladder leading down. I've rebuilt the room on top this time. :facepalm:

10 hours ago, Davros sock drawer said:

Awesome! Haven't seen an S-class ship yet.

I spotted it on one of the 'unique' planets but I expect it's completely random as to which system they appear. Followed it into space, called my freighter and then waited for it to dock...which took ages tbh. It's very fragile, low flying collisions do serious damage and I didn't transfer and of my stuff from the Golden Condor - I now have three ships in my freighter, really want the S-Class ship with the folding wings so will part-exchange for that if I ever come across it.

Bit of spoilered Glyph and Portal stuff.

Spoiler

So if you meet one of the new aliens (hanging about at space stations, ports, shelters) you can ask them to tell you where they are from. They'll then give you directions to their grave. There you will find a glyph. You'll need all of the glyphs in order to properly use the portal addresses.

IMG_3618.thumb.JPG.4e0d602cc5b1c8dda67c23411f7e3a81.JPG

As as I only have one glyph so far I just entered it multiple times to activate my portal...seems I wasn't the only one...

IMG_3619.thumb.JPG.f81995143e5f9f8cd45eb5988db789cf.JPG

IMG_3620.thumb.JPG.f9c63df5cb13b29b3b00df01b55032bb.JPG

Goodbye New Iowa, hello... heh, I've forgotten the name of it, but the kids chose it after some anime character. Anyway, I've moved world. It took about 90 minutes, but wasn't as bad as I thought. As I've lost all my workers in the patch, I had to find a scientist. Luckily, the 3 stations I have last visited include all 3 races, so I grabbed me a Korvax assistant and was able to zip through a few science missions. It let me accept mission/accept reward up until the one where you fly to a beacon. It was enough to get the voltaic cell blueprint, so I built some more containers.

To move the base, I manually deleted everything. Only things like glass, voltaic cells, etc. didn't break down, so I stacked those in containers. Last, I deleted the containers. When I moved base, I plonked the containers down and everything was still inside them.

Apart from the fact the environment wasn't actively trying to kill me, this is what convinced me to move to this moon:

21200642_10155683016094594_8797893801727799664_o.jpg

So I've started a new base. Not sure what I'll do beyond adding a bio dome above each circular building:

21083503_10155683010749594_5015261633643839705_o.jpg

I may build up from the square bit in the middle, with landing pads. I'm really not sure how well you can connect stuff together.

Anyway, some randoms images I've been meaning to post:

Spoiler

Here's the first official paradise planet I found. It looked gorgeous in the air, I couldn't believe my luck:

21167269_10155683011669594_5173178119502054831_o.jpg

But when I actually landed, it was constantly raining (I'm OK with this), but frequent -70C ish storms. Total bummer:

21122476_10155683011959594_5129065369046333415_o.jpg

I should have recorded a video, the storms were actually lovely to watch. Blowing hard rain and rolling mist. But damn, I'm not building a base on another planet that tries to kill me.

New Iowa (RIP)

21122362_10155683015224594_8415033265563112190_o.jpg

Random shot of me heading up into an atmosphere to fly to a waypoint far away. Still doesn't do it justice, atmospheric flight looks so good, these days.

21122554_10155683014379594_498378670977173803_o.jpg

My situation continues to be a bit weird. There's a whole bunch of stuff I can still build, like all 3 vehicles, but in terms of missions the game thinks I'm right back at just the first Overseer and about the 6th or 7th Scientist, and nothing else. I seem to have a mix of missing and retained blueprints. I think some of them are down to using new/renamed materials. Oh well, I'm blazing through them pretty quickly, especially now I remembered I have the materials to build the 3 vehicles (from disassembling them).

Oh, I found water! My moon has hardly any plants and zero animal life so I really wasn't expecting water. Plutonium is thin on the ground, but I'm swimming in titanium and thanium. Probably a reasonable trade off.

I don't mind doing all of these missions again, but it's odd they've forced old saves to do this. Maybe it'll make more sense when I start the new Artemis missions.

Post Atlas Rising, the way they've implemented the question mark waypoints for planet exploration is a bit weird. I do a scan, and a question mark will appear on my HUD. It's generally about 2 - 4 hrs away, so I lift into low orbit to go a bit faster, at which point the marker disappears. How are you supposed to get to them?

14 minutes ago, Davros sock drawer said:

They seem to vanish quite easily if you lose sight of them now. They sort of fade back in when you look back in the same direction again - which of course is no good once you've taken off.

Didnt know you'd picked this up again K. Bugs/quirks aside how are you finding it?

I started a fresh game just to see what it was like post-patch. The improvements are really impressive - stumbling across a huge shipwreck early on in the story quest was stunning. The new flying model is great too, and the planets look much, much nicer. That said, I don't think I'll be hanging around long - my main beef with the game still stands, which is that it doesn't feel like a coherent, believable world to me. Every planet has the same aliens in the same buildings, The whole universe feels completely homogeneous - there's no structure to anything. They've spaced everything out, but it still feels like the same few things are uniformly distributed across every planet.

Plus, it's all a bit too fantastical for me. I much prefer the pseudo-realism of Elite: Dangerous - for all its flaws, that game feels real to me in a way that NMS doesn't. NMS is an amazing achievement, but it's not for me. I never really got into the base-building and other stuff, so I'd probably play it a bit more if Destiny 2 weren't coming out next week.

5 minutes ago, Davros sock drawer said:

There is a "plot" reason for all that*, but the effect is the same. It's not going for realism at all, so if that's what you're looking for, it ain't here.

Hide contents

The whole thing is a computer simulation

Yeah, I read that somewhere else. It's not really the point of the game, but it turns me off even more if anything.

I'm having a problem teleporting. I've started building my base I flew off to recruit a scientist, which I have done. It's now prompting me to teleport back to my base but when I go to the teleporter in the space station it says the teleportation network is offline and it won't let me use it. 

Any ideas?

• TehStu changed the title to No Man's Sky - Waypoint | Switch version out now