No Man's Sky - Waypoint | Switch version out now

TehStu

Finally took the plunge to buy this last night and sunk a few hours in - having not played it before, I was pleasantly surprised, though I did start on a super freezing planet, but managed to get off it just fine.I was wondering how much had of what I was playing was as per the original game and how much had changed - it seems a lot had! Thing is, it all felt pretty natural and everything worked as I'd hope / expect it to (e.g. visor, refiner, terrain manipulator etc). I think my PC needs a bit of an upgrade (running old CPU but recent-ish GFX card), but not enough that the game isn't enjoyable as is.

Looking forward to more exploring!

One thing I did notice, which might have been from an earlier update but it's the first time I have noticed it, is that the creatures appear to have more weight to them when they move. They look better, until they start clipping through your character. ;)

9 minutes ago, Thor said:

@wev Well, you have to bend your knees as you lower your body...

Down on the d-pad, there's a menu for gestures, along with the option to switch between first and third person views. 

Yeah I've found the gestures (my recent post in the Photo Mode thread shows my character waving in a space station) just didn't see a sit/crouch option.

As for your first response, that might explain why my legs are always tired :lol:

when people say things like "super freezing" what temperatures are we talking here?

Glad to see they've made flying over a planet an actually interesting prospect, I recall on launch you just kind of hovered in the same region of the sky as if propelled by strings and were unable to crash into the ground at all. Ships feel much weightier now. It's kind of the game I hoped it would be on release. 

2 minutes ago, Kos Mos said:

I know I'm being thick and it's probably already been answered but how do you get to first person view?

Thanks.

Down on dpad, one of the menu options does it. 

50 minutes ago, The Eagle Lord said:

So according to YouTube you can reactivate your bases at the terminal? 

So I can only assume thats the terminal on the space stations? 

Apparently you have to find one of the old style "habital buildings" and activate your old base at the terminal there. I'm not aware of anyone managing to find one yet though

@TehStu - Can we please put "down on d-pad for first/third persion options" in the thread title? It's gonna get asked a lot, and I have to admit I had to google it yesterday as I couldn't find it either.

Hiding it away in the sub-menu of a d-pad press is just bad design for such a fundamental feature. 

2 hours ago, Boothjan said:

I've never played this and thinking I might jump in now it's on xbox.  Just wondered how steep a learning curve it is?  Is the tutorial pretty concise?

It's a very gentle learning curve. It introduces each of the systems by way of small quests - find stuff, craft stuff, build stuff. Compared to the original release you get into space much quicker. As some have said (including me) if you get a hostile planet as your starting planet (it's totally random) it can be trickier and you'll feel like either you're doing it wrong or the game has broken, just stick with it, don't worry about dying, you'll soon be in the flow of it.

Performance on PS4 Pro at 4k seems pretty bad at the moment. I had loads of slowdown when approaching a planet, and there was some really weird low-res stuff when in low orbit that looked like a bug to me. Definitely interested in what performance on the X is like.

5 minutes ago, Thor said:

@TehStu - Can we please put "down on d-pad for first/third persion options" in the thread title? It's gonna get asked a lot, and I have to admit I had to google it yesterday as I can't find it either.

Hiding it away in the sub-menu of a d-pad press is just bad design for such a fundamental feature. 

Hmm, but it's not exactly a function you need very often, so sub-menu-ing it seems fairly logical.

@Fondue I disagree, I like to switch between the two. For example, when opening those red little containers, you have to have the centre reticule hover over it to get the button prompt - it's somewhat awkward in third-person, but oh so simple in first person. 

On 23/07/2018 at 11:04, Sie said:

How many of us here are gonna be returning to the game on PC?

I've doubled dipped (grabbed a PS4 copy for £12) but PC is probably gonna be my preferred platform. And a small handful of us from the forum will be playing PC on the super secret unofficial rllmuk discord server. Feel free to add yourselves with this link

i'll be your huckleberry

43 minutes ago, Kos Mos said:

Thank you.

However having played this at launch (and starting a new game) were the fuck is my space craft :(  

try to use the scanner (left stick click), then do the little quest.  Then, once scanner is fixed, you can find the ship :)

2 hours ago, Stanshall said:

All these folk saying restart restart restart...Don't restart. Your game isn't bugged if it's a slightly difficult start, it's just a slightly difficult start! You'll have the stuff you need to take off in about ten minutes whatever happens.

Sorry if I'm a bit ratty here but just play the bleeding game and don't worry about 'optimising' your experience. The first hour means nothing, it's just setting the wheels in motion.

I had to restart though as my next quest was in another system. Reward for quest is warp drive. To get to system I need a warp drive. Unless Im missing something here? 

1 hour ago, Eighthours said:

Performance on PS4 Pro at 4k seems pretty bad at the moment. I had loads of slowdown when approaching a planet, and there was some really weird low-res stuff when in low orbit that looked like a bug to me. Definitely interested in what performance on the X is like.

But is there a 1080p option? Or just force it through the system?

1 hour ago, Eighthours said:

Yeah same here - very low res textures and a lot of obvious texture loading taking place on planet surfaces.

Yep, choppy as hell on my base PS4. Lag in pretty much every phase of the game, and viewpoint. Also that bad in the menus that the reticule was skipping all over the screen as it was missing my stick inputs. Needs patching badly.