No Man's Sky - Waypoint | Switch version out now

TehStu

10 minutes ago, Graham_S said:

The bit that is maybe implied but left unstated is "the chances are pretty much zero so we didn't write and test a load of code to make it possible."

Yeah, I'm sure this is true.

It would be a nice thing to add in future. Perhaps you could create a party and explore together.

16 minutes ago, Captain LeChuck said:

13908836_10154009110597880_7060312458362546832_o.jpg

soon...

I spent a good 15 minutes earlier, just watching the countdown... willing it to go quicker... nothing happened, except the inexorable tedious countdown, second by lengthy second, stretching out for what seemed like an eternity...

(I even, out of sheer desperation and excessive eagerness, tried disconnecting the ps4's ethernet cable and changing the internal clock to Wednesday... still kept counting down... :blink:)

Is it Wednesday yet?

Just now, papalasarou said:

So the chances of this arriving tomorrow from simply games are if ordered first thing this morning are? I don't think I can wait any longer to play lol I think I may "wfh" to type afternoon if it arrives ;-)

I ordered today and got a 'despatch' notification about an hour later.  I did choose courier, because I'm a dick. 

1 hour ago, Clipper said:

he did follow it up with this

I am guessing they don't want to give away what it is they have implemented. But they are saying definitely dont expect multiplayer as such.

Pffft, as if people crossing paths = zero chance. More like it's just hassle to implment a feature for launch.

There will never be full on multiplayer (and I don't think anyone expected it to) but hopefully you'll soon be able leave your mark on a planet and be aware if friends have been the same planets as you. Then again, does it really matter?

11 minutes ago, dood said:

I ordered today and got a 'despatch' notification about an hour later.  I did choose courier, because I'm a dick. 

Ah I just chose first class well fingers crossed got the dispatch email at 9 this morning so here's to hoping :-) 

1 hour ago, JPickford said:

It's maddening that they keep going on about the low probability of meeting.  The question is whether the've implemented it or not.  I still think not.

Imagine if and when it does happen. It would be like that Journey moment but X 1 million. You might even be the only two people to meet in that game ever.

they must have implemented something surely or they should just say no you can't....

I suspect that the developers aren't going to say "we never bothered to develop any multiplayer code as the minimal probability of ever meeting another player meant it didn't justify the outlay", as they don't want to destroy the magic before the game even comes out.

12 minutes ago, K said:

I suspect that the developers aren't going to say "we never bothered to develop any multiplayer code as the minimal probability of ever meeting another player meant it didn't justify the outlay", as they don't want to destroy the magic before the game even comes out.

A dangerous thing to do with it coming out on PC too. People will pull this code apart , expect mods galore and many cheats the definitive proof of weather it technically exists , which I think it does.

could really fancy some of this now actually. Every time I watch it I kinda think "well that looks boring" I'm counting on it being a game you have to play and not watch.

2 hours ago, JPickford said:

It's maddening that they keep going on about the low probability of meeting.  The question is whether the've implemented it or not.  I still think not.

I'm just assuming the centre of the galaxy is a multiplayer hub where you can trade and meet with other players.

3 hours ago, Tomdominer said:

Also, as K kinda alluded to, it's technically impossible with a word comparison against 18 quintillion other words, unless you wait for a year for each planet name to validate.

You'd only have to compare against all the uploaded names. No issue there, and I think after a few planets most people won't even bother renaming. The default names are much cooler than any nobby thing I can think up. As for naming every plant and creature - does anyone honestly want to battle with the ps4 text input box every time? (Obviously easier on PC). 

wiped my earlier save and started again. oh my! my starting planet was amazing. 

mere steps from my starting point, i went into an underground cavern, got chased by this 'thing', got VERY lost and thought i wouldnt get out again. was amazed by the colours in the cave, and the lifeforms. eventually found my way out and got on my way. 

later on, i got to my first planet and oh my... its just :wub: 

so SO good so far... im shattered tonight so after that initial bit, im too tired so climbing into bed.