Game of Thrones (Telltale Games)

Clyde

I don't care what Telltale have repeatedly told the press over the past several months. You and your facts, Boodles.

What? now I'm confused?

I thought Telltale were saying that it's based on a family that were mentioned in the books but not in the show? Did I not read that on the previous page? Or am I being McBain'd without realising?

First trailer here, available now to pre-purchase on Steam with the release date listed as 2nd December, will be 6 episodes.

Will be including cast members, so far the four confirmed are:

Cersei Lannister (Lena Headey)

Tyrion Lannister (Peter Dinklage)

Margaery Tyrell (Natalie Dormer)

Ramsay Snow (Iwan Rheon)

• 2 weeks later...

Launch trailer and release dates:

Tues, Dec 2nd - PC/Mac, PS4 North America (SCEA)

Wed, Dec 3rd - Xbox One & Xbox 360 worldwide, PS4 Europe (SCEE)

Thurs, Dec 4th - iOS via the App Store

Tues, Dec 9th - PS3 North America

Wed, Dec 10th - PS3 Europe

I loved both seasons of The Walking Dead, and I'm a fan of the source material, but something has me on the fence about this. Maybe it's the price? Releasing a game during a Steam sale is a little ballsy.

I feel the same - I should love this and be really eager to play it (loved TWD and TWAU), but for some reason I'm now feeling it at all. I wonder if it's because I don't think the story can be convincing as a side story, or that it wont hold up to the plot of ASOIAF.

I loved both seasons of The Walking Dead, and I'm a fan of the source material, but something has me on the fence about this. Maybe it's the price? Releasing a game during a Steam sale is a little ballsy.

Releasing two of them, no less. They just surprise-launched Borderlands last week. :o

Think I may wait till all 6 episodes are out. I played TWD season 1 back to back and it was fantastic and whilst I enjoyed season 2 I played sporadically with very long gaps because I didn't pay attention to new episode launch dates. I ended up forgetting certain things and dialogue because of that.

Think I may wait till all 6 episodes are out. I played TWD season 1 back to back and it was fantastic and whilst I enjoyed season 2 I played sporadically with very long gaps because I didn't pay attention to new episode launch dates. I ended up forgetting certain things and dialogue because of that.

I did the same. I'd say games like the Wolf Among Us and Broken Age have put me off waiting for episodes. I would rather sit down and play through the whole game in my own time and I can be patient enough to wait a year, even if it is Game of Thrones.

Played Borderlands one and it was ok, think this will be the same too. Just ok. Walking Dead season 2 was ok too. Wolf among us, from the little I played it seems ok. All of this, we're ok with it because they do so much. I forgive the sloppy animations and oddities that come with these games because I know they work on so many projects with small teams.

I'd be curious to see what they could do if they just spent their full resources for 2 years on 1 title. I can understand why they wouldn't go down that route, spreading their wings like this opens up more of an audience.

Just played it. Very impressed.

It absolutely nails the feeling of never doing the right thing no matter how hard you try and it's a strong statement of intent for the rest of it. Having multiple characters makes it a bit less 'what would you do' and more 'what would this character do', which takes a little bit of getting used to, but I think is an interesting direction to take it. The art style also takes a bit of getting used to, and isn't as immediately arresting as something like The Wolf Among Us, but it does get the painterly style just right at times; I think it'll grow into it. Some of the voices are obviously Americans putting on English accents and their attempted accents wander around England a bit, but in general it's high quality and I was gripped by it most of the time. It's got at least one Trademark Game Of Thrones moment, too.

Just finished the first episode too.

Overall I thought it was brilliant and it definitely surpassed my expectations. I thought the voice acting was mostly brilliant and some of the reactions I got from saying certain things were amusing. It definitely nails the atmosphere that comes across in the series, and as Rudi says, you never really feel like you're doing the right thing. Some of the choices you have to make are brutal. Graphically it looks great at times, my major complaint in regards to that, is that the known characters/actors just look off, whereas the new characters generally look really well done.

End of episode spoilers -

That whole exchange with Ramsay was absolutely brilliant and incredibly tense. I'm assuming Ethan dies at the end of the episode regardless, but then I got to thinking, I played him as a pretty stubborn little bastard, refusing to bend the knee, making Ramsay wait outside the gate, telling the Whitehills to bugger off etc Either way, a brilliant end to the episode and a definite GoT moment. :P

Oh and Rudi, I totally did the same thing when it switched characters. I'd find myself thinking what that character would do to just get by in that situation. It's an interesting mechanic and it's going to be really interesting to see how it all ties up in regards to the choices you make across the entire playthrough and not just per character.

Yep, that was superb. In fact it's probably the best Telltale first episode I've played so far. The new characters are all really well realised and fit in perfectly, and the tone is spot on. I absolutely love the art style too, and managed to grab that King's Landing shot as my new desktop wallpaper. :)

Mega spoilers:

I was feeling on my guard throughout, this being Game of Thrones and all, but that ending really shocked me. In my case I was trying to be diplomatic, not being completely spineless but trying to be reasonable. Ramsey seemed to be buying it for the most part too, and seemed impressed when I stood up to him as he went after Ethan's sister. Right before stabbing him in the neck.

The episode as a whole did a perfect job at reinforcing the message that in GoT, no matter how well meaning you may be, things always go to shit.

The next episode is certainly going to be interesting. I can't wait!

I'm going to disagree with Eurogamer's first impressions too.

I think it shows really strong characterisation and story-telling that even with the limited time we spend with each of the story's protagonists, I could not help but put myself in their shoes. Switching my perspective, adjusting my approach to the dilemmas presented to me. It makes me chuckle, how TWD's status as a "game" was seriously questioned, when what Telltale have created here is an RPG in the truest meaning. I was fighting against my own moral compass on more than one occasion, wrestling with my conscience over the choices the characters faced.

I do agree that it's too early to pass judgement on the series as a whole, but I'm left with more hope than EG's reviewer seemed to convey. The only thing I didn't really like was the strange blending effect they've used to complement the painted art style. It looks okay in screenshots, but in motion it made it look like the backgrounds were melting. Looking forward to chapter 2.

Wow, the chapter's finale with Ramsay was right up there with some of the most nerve-wracking moments of TWD. I actually thought I was going to make it out of that one unscathed for a moment. :)

Launch trailer and release dates:

Tues, Dec 2nd - PC/Mac, PS4 North America (SCEA)

Wed, Dec 3rd - Xbox One & Xbox 360 worldwide, PS4 Europe (SCEE)

Thurs, Dec 4th - iOS via the App Store

Tues, Dec 9th - PS3 North America

Wed, Dec 10th - PS3 Europe

Or a week and a day if you're waiting for it on PS3.