Neil Gaiman's Sandman - Now Netflix/WB co-production

Goose

Hahaha. 

The number of goth girls who claimed to be the model for death, I had a conversation with in the late 80s could fill a large telephone book. 

And just because you seem to have a problem with this, being black isn't the problem not being goth is the problem 

66d13c816005c9cd892ca753744d526a5d9a40d4.jpg

And her second appearance in the comics: SHE WAS NOT A GOTH.

Just as Morpheus wasn’t all spikey hair all the way through Hob gadling’s first story. Or pale and white in Nada’s.

The endless adapted to fit the times and location they were in. As you’d assume they’ll do in this adaptation.

On 29/07/2022 at 22:06, Sidewaysbob said:

Yes well, death looks like this to me and plenty of other people. 

Because that's the character that was presented to me 30 years ago and that's how i have perceived it ever since. 

s-death2.jpg

All of this furore over some eyeshadow! Because apart from that, the Netflix character is a fairly perfect replication of this image. Outfit, ankh, big hair, physique. Unless there's some other difference that I've missed? Perhaps you could tell me what that difference is, just to humour me.

As someone said further back, that scene looked like a fairly dull YA movie with two high school kids. 

It didn't feel or look right. And once again, it's not about her skin colour, it's about the fact she looks ordinary, she doesn't look like the character that I know. 

Wearing a black spaghetti hoop t shirt and swinging a big ankh around, does not make her look like death. It looks like a poor pastiche of a middling episode of buffy. 

Again. It's not the skin color. She's not goth. 

19 minutes ago, therearerules said:

I haven't read much up on it, but I assume the series is set in the current day? In which case it would be nonsensical for Death to look like an 80's throwback.

I was assuming so too. As much as I'm fond of Goth girl Death, there's something vaguely depressing about seeing poor souls desperately hanging on to the style decades later. Much in the same way as some of my aging punk friends seem to. It's good that they've decided that this is the rock they're going to die on, but it's all a little sad as well.

Death's appearance in her introductory issue is basically done as a joke: "She's Death, and she looks like a goth; but it turns out she's livelier and more upbeat than her brother and she quotes jokes from

Spoiler

Mary Poppins."

I think the released clip shows that they've nailed the "a comforting presence for those who die" side of her character. Now we just need to see if she can deliver the iconic line "peachy keen!" with all the the gravitas and sincerity it deserves.

On 29/07/2022 at 21:31, footle said:

you’ve read overture, right?

or the bits where dream got together with the lass (nada) who ended up in hell (and where he certainly wasn’t tall and white)?

this thread is going to be so pleasant for team “the comics don’t exist”.

looks good

On 30/07/2022 at 03:43, Talvalin said:

Please take any further discussion about the art of the comics to the Arts & Literature sub-forum please - be that the Watchtower thread or a new thread dedicated to The Sandman. Cheers.

/mod

Please don't take it to the Watchtower thread. Please don't.

On 30/07/2022 at 20:38, JoeK said:

I definitely agree that Gaiman is a better short story-teller. I think he's possibly one of the very greatest in any medium for that. I think some of his longer work - and his novels - tend to suffer from what I call the 'Stephen King Syndrome'. Why use one word to describe something when I can use a million of 'em. I like them nonetheless, but there's a fair bit of bloat that really could be trimmed!

I'm just really looking forward to seeing how it all pans out really. If it's good, then that's going to be genuinely exciting for me. If it's not...well, that's okay too. Not many things cross over to other mediums very well in my eyes but I'm always happy to see the results.

Yeah, I've got nothing really riding on the TV series, so I'm just interested to see how it turns out. I like the comics, but I'm not a superfan or anything. If I don't like it, then fine. The changes all seem pretty well thought-out - although I have to confess that I really want to see the comics version of John Constantine done successfully. That said, people have tried to do the comics versionbefore and have never succeeded, so maybe going in a completely different direction and casting Jenna Coleman is the best way forward.

29 minutes ago, K said:

Yeah, I've got nothing really riding on the TV series, so I'm just interested to see how it turns out. I like the comics, but I'm not a superfan or anything. If I don't like it, then fine. The changes all seem pretty well thought-out - although I have to confess that I really want to see the comics version of John Constantine done successfully. That said, people have tried to do the comics versionbefore and have never succeeded, so maybe going in a completely different direction and casting Jenna Coleman is the best way forward.

Jenna Coleman seems a good choice - she has a certain amount of cheekiness to her that I like. Although, I not sure if she's supposed to be John or actually, they're doing some sort of mix of characters between her and the original Joanna Constantine from the comic? 

44 minutes ago, JoeK said:

Jenna Coleman seems a good choice - she has a certain amount of cheekiness to her that I like. Although, I not sure if she's supposed to be John or actually, they're doing some sort of mix of characters between her and the original Joanna Constantine from the comic? 

you’d think they’d merge the characters, though I can’t remember if Joanna was another Hob/Hettie.

1 minute ago, JoeK said:

TBH, Constantine has such a blokeish persona that it's hard to imagine a female version - it would almost be a new character. I think the new version is just meant to be a descendent of the original Johanna Constantine, in the same way that John was. 

I’m over literal translations of works to the screen. Remix and change it. I’ve already read the book. Just keep the heart of it the same. 

This ain’t a period piece (which I think would have worked well - get some stranger things money) so mix it up. 

4 minutes ago, Captain Kelsten said:

I started reading Sandman today. Bloody hell, it’s an ugly comic. 

I have the first volume, and may take another look, but I didn't get on with it. Also, unless someone else does, I plan on starting a "no-comic chat" thread when this actually releases to avoid the shit that happened in the The Boys thread.

2 hours ago, Thor said:

I have the first volume, and may take another look, but I didn't get on with it. Also, unless someone else does, I plan on starting a "no-comic chat" thread when this actually releases to avoid the shit that happened in the The Boys thread.

First book isn't all that great, and not really where Sandman goes afterwards.

The first book has a lot of the basic stuff covered, but in general it's a collection that is effectively DC trying to crowbar their universe into Gaiman's work and it shows. The first sequence is still very enjoyable, but as Festoon says, it's what happens after all this when Sandman becomes a classic of the genre. 

Also, you have to get over Sam Keith's artwork, and some fucking awful inking. People can moan all they like about the moment 3d inking (as in - doing it on the computer) takes over, but for an awful lot of artists it was definitely a good thing. Prior to this, there were a miniscule amount of inkers who were genuinely great at it. Early Sandman did not have any of these people.