Jump to content

Neil Gaiman's Sandman - Now Netflix/WB co-production


Goose
 Share

Recommended Posts

1 minute ago, yakumo said:

 

 

Not sure but have you heard of this small up and coming new band?.😛

 

 

 

 

Yup hate that song and the black album. 

 

I'm an old school Metallica fan who stopped buying their records after And Justice for all came out. 

 

Bloody hipster ain't I. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 24/07/2022 at 19:32, cassidy said:

Pretty sure Mr Sandman is in the comic btw.  Well the lyrics anyway. 

 

Dream a little dream is the title of episode 3.   

 

What did you expect tbh.

 

And I must point out. This is not a Netflix produced show. 

 

WB produced it. It was just Netflix who paid the most money to show it. 

 

Naysayers exorcised 😉


*cough* 

 

(dream a little dream of me is on the radio repeatedly in the scenes that lead up to when Morpheus first meets Constantine)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Genuinely giddy with excitement for this now after watching the Gaiman video and the Comic Con panel. 

 

I'm pretty numb now to the endless adaptations of my favourite comics characters and series. Some turn out to be great (Watchmen), some are just OK (Preacher) and some..... not so much (Y The Last Man) but they generally pass me by as I like the comics first and foremost, the medium is what made them special. This though, this looks phenomenal. Maybe my favourite ever series and it looks like they've nailed it for the screen. The production values look insane and fucking hell, that cast! The clip of Death offering to take that man's hand genuinely had me welling up, beautiful stuff.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

My only real issue is I loved the comic, but much preferred the one-shot stories where Dream is a side character to the main narrative.

 

The stories:

Ramadan

Soft Places

The World's End (all of it) particularly:

The Golden Boy (absolutely amazing - an amazing fable, tribute and reimagining of an old comic)

A Tale of Two Cities (one of two times Gaiman has successfully channeled a proper Lovecraftian feel. The other being the short story A Study In Emerald (https://www.neilgaiman.com/mediafiles/exclusive/shortstories/emerald.pdf&ved=2ahUKEwjrqdm835j5AhXMYcAKHU7dB40QFnoECDcQAQ&usg=AOvVaw3iT-FrxSpA3tGIRm9oOSDH)

Death and Venice (a later addition via Endless Nights, which tend to be not as good but this is an exception)

 

I also preferred books like A Game of You where Dream is likewise to the side to say, Brief Lives, where he's centre stage. I also think the characterisation of characters improves across the series, e.g. the Corinthian at first feels a bit try-hard edgy but is a more interesting character by Kindly Ones times.

 

Exception to this is The Kindly Ones, actually, which is a masterpiece, and makes the Dream-centred narrative work through it's more abstracted art style.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Festoon said:

My only real issue is I loved the comic, but much preferred the one-shot stories where Dream is a side character to the main narrative.

 

The stories:

Ramadan

Soft Places

The World's End (all of it) particularly:

The Golden Boy (absolutely amazing - an amazing fable, tribute and reimagining of an old comic)

A Tale of Two Cities (one of two times Gaiman has successfully channeled a proper Lovecraftian feel. The other being the short story A Study In Emerald (https://www.neilgaiman.com/mediafiles/exclusive/shortstories/emerald.pdf&ved=2ahUKEwjrqdm835j5AhXMYcAKHU7dB40QFnoECDcQAQ&usg=AOvVaw3iT-FrxSpA3tGIRm9oOSDH)

Death and Venice (a later addition via Endless Nights, which tend to be not as good but this is an exception)

 

I also preferred books like A Game of You where Dream is likewise to the side to say, Brief Lives, where he's centre stage. I also think the characterisation of characters improves across the series, e.g. the Corinthian at first feels a bit try-hard edgy but is a more interesting character by Kindly Ones times.

 

Exception to this is The Kindly Ones, actually, which is a masterpiece, and makes the Dream-centred narrative work through it's more abstracted art style.

 

Thanks for this - I've recently finished the first stories and was wondering where to go next.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, joe chin said:

 

Thanks for this - I've recently finished the first stories and was wondering where to go next.

 

 

No problem - all just my opinions! The first collected book, Preludes and Nocturnes, is a bit more classic Vertigo Horror than the rest of the series. It feels a little different adter that.

 

To slightly contradict myself, Season of Mists is a main plot story but it works really well, too.

 

I do like that Gaiman isn't afraid to play with expectations a fair bit, particularly in A Game of You. Very brave - he'd be eaten alive in today's comic book fandom.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

It's weird to think that in the space of about a month, we are going to have The Sandman, new Game Of Thrones and new Lord Of The Rings. Imagine if they actually pull them all off! It would be an amazing month for genre TV.

 

I know that's a big "if", but I like to dream.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, odb said:

I be critically liked but I feel this won't be a huge hit. Can't tell you why but just a feeling.

 

Hard to call. Be interesting to see if it's one Netflix will promote or not, fickle as they are.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Would the kindly ones work on its own though? I recall it really calling into the overall arc of the sequence - and without the previous fifty issues it’d lose a lot of resonance.

 

I also doubt this is going to be a big hit. But then I think preludes and nocturnes isn’t a good graphic novel.p, the diner excepted.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I hope it does well, but from people who don't know anything about the series history or impact the trailer didn't really move the needle for them as a must see.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm going to watch this for some prime David Thewlis mayhem. I have low expectations based on the clips shown, and Good Omens and American Gods being unwatchable trash.

 

I really do think that Gaiman's stuff will be better adapted to film several decades from now where he can't have total, tediously literal control over it. Good Omens was basically an unabridged audiobook with the visuals as an afterthought. This looks like the producers have clocked that you don't need a movie budget to achieve that so have given him a Doctor Who budget.

 

People remember the different versions of Hitchhiker's (except the film) because Douglas Adams was subject to the restrictions and conventional wisdom of each medium, he was too young to get final say or edit and had to invent new stuff on the fly to make it work each time. Gaiman can demand that his meandering 40 year old genre comic pastiche dialogue be preserved exactly - it just comes off as corny and campy.

 

I know it has to be a bit more grounded in reality than the trippy style of the comics*, but the production design is so dull. It looks like Twilight. The Bill and Ted version(s) of Hell were more visually inventive than this one.

 

(*I have only read the early ones, I don't know, maybe it just becomes a monochrome mope fest for the rest of them?)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, MK-1601 said:

 

I know it has to be a bit more grounded in reality than the trippy style of the comics*, but the production design is so dull. It looks like Twilight. The Bill and Ted version(s) of Hell were more visually inventive than this one.

 

(*I have only read the early ones, I don't know, maybe it just becomes a monochrome mope fest for the rest of them?)

 

You're correct, the unearthly strangeness of the Endless are stripped, they look boring. People are saying how Tom Sturridge looks great as Morpheus but he looks nothing like him except in name.  I mean if you didn't know you think from the photos it's some YA movie/TV Series. Could have least given him the hair at least too.

 

TheSandman_Season1_Episode6_00_07_20_16R

 

the-sandman-trailer-release-date-netflix

 

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

My ignore list just got a bit bigger. 

 

I predict fans are going to rewatch the shit out of this until Netflix has to make more of them and a whole new generation are going to discover the comics. I'm really looking forward to it and it's a great excuse to have a long overdue re-read of the original arc.

 

 

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, odb said:

 

You're correct, the unearthly strangeness of the Endless are stripped, they look boring. People are saying how Tom Sturridge looks great as Morpheus but he looks nothing like him except in name.  I mean if you didn't know you think from the photos it's some YA movie/TV Series. Could have least given him the hair at least too.

 

 


I don’t think the look will matter, as long as they get his oddness. How people will react to a story in which the nominal lead character is invariably passive and on the sidelines - until the kindly ones - I’m not so sure.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Really looking forward to this, think the trailers look great and that scene that's been released with Death was beautiful.

 

I did a re-read of the books early last year and also picked up the Lucifer Omnibus Vol 1 last summer, finally got Vol 2 a couple of months back and started it the other week, hoping to have it complete before Friday.

 

Tempted to start the books again:wub:

 

IMG_20220728_090059__01.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, Boozy The Clown said:

My ignore list just got a bit bigger. 

 

I predict fans are going to rewatch the shit out of this until Netflix has to make more of them and a whole new generation are going to discover the comics. I'm really looking forward to it and it's a great excuse to have a long overdue re-read of the original arc.

 

 

 

 

 

I'm sure it do well, the fanbase for Gaiman and Sandman is big. I re-read Sandman recently and it still holds up well.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, footle said:


I don’t think the look will matter, as long as they get his oddness. How people will react to a story in which the nominal lead character is invariably passive and on the sidelines - until the kindly ones - I’m not so sure.

I do think the look does matter to an extent, but I'm sure they experimented to recreate the looks from the comics as well and couldn't manage it without resorting to extensive CG. I still feel it would have been better served as an animation.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

30 minutes ago, odb said:

I do think the look does matter to an extent, but I'm sure they experimented to recreate the looks from the comics as well and couldn't manage it without resorting to extensive CG. I still feel it would have been better served as an animation.

 

I dunno about the looks being integral really. Aside from Morpheus I guess. I think probably half of the original comic was awfully illustrated really (and terribly inked), but the I never had any problems with it because the writing was so strong. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yeah, that clip of Death is fantastic - she's brilliant. But he comes across as gormless rather than weird. Still I never really felt Sandman was particularly about Sandman.

 

And, frankly, the spin off Lucifer, was better in every way - I hope this is successful enough for that to happen with the GoT-whats-her-face, rather than that terrible procedural dross we got. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Use of this website is subject to our Privacy Policy, Terms of Use, and Guidelines.