Worst game of the year 2013

merman

Let's talk about the rubbish.

Marlow Briggs & The Mask Of Death is terrible. Imagine God Of War crossed with a terrible 1980s action movie. The dialogue is corny, the characters are so one-dimensional and the action is just so repetitive. Elemental magic - that's original, no-one's ever done that before. They tried to make things "stylish" by doing this slow-motion pan through certain cutscenes, and it fails on two counts - it looks bad and you feel like you are missing out on actually doing something. Then they rip off the whole "audio log" idea with radio messages from the woman you are trying to save. Breaking up the combat are terrible shoot 'em up sections with a large cannon and a helicopter.

It's a steaming pile of cliche that even awards you an Achievement for sitting through the credits. Avoid it, even at a cheap price in the various end-of-year sales.

Unfortunately, as I don't tend to actually buy games I expect to be rubbish, the only truly awful games I've played have been curios from previous years bought on a whim because of drastic cut prices. So the worst game I've played all year that was actually released this year isn't a game I would actually call bad, it's just not a game I enjoyed, or understand the appeal of, at all (A Link Between Worlds).

Sorry, that's not very useful.

Edit: I'd actually forgotten Tomb Raider was released this year (in my head it was a winter 2012 release). My previous caveat stands, but that certainly is the game released this year that I enjoyed the least.

Edit x2: negged by Dinobot - one of the greatest badges of honour a post can receive :wub:

There's two types of 'bad' game in my eyes. There's the obvious choice of the most broken, poorly designed, unfair, unfit-for-purpose game, but on the other hand there's the game that, while not actually broken, is so bland and forgettable and lacking in originality that it barely registers in the memory.

Arkham Origins is the buggiest game I've played all year, and has some design issues which are only just stopping the game from being broken by the skin of their teeth (the worst that springs to mind is getting stuck under the police dept because of a lift that stayed on the wrong level).

The most bland, forgettable game? Probably.... hmmm... Killzone Shadow Fall. Just didn't grab me at all, despite the shinies.

You have to bear in mind, I strive to only play the top few games every year, so that's why I'm mentioning two of the biggest profile games out.

Aliens: Colonial Marines.

On one hand it is a hilarious comic masterpiece from the people who brought you the Borderlands games. For anyone who actually purchased it the game was a miserable broken mess.

Sim City is a good call, simply because it is an embodiment of how bad design decisions to reduce piracy can actually fundementally break what should have been a great game, cruelly punishing those who supported the development of the software.

I don't recall playing any true stinkers this year. Maybe Persona 4 Arena, but even that isn't a bad game by any standards I suppose. Blinded by love for Persona 4 Golden on my Vita, I got this game hoping it would be a fun extension to the game universe. But it was just a rather chaotic and not much fun to play oldschool 2D fighter. Don't know what I was really expecting though, as it was advertised as such, but I guess I was hoping for something more involving. The only true pang of buyers remorse I remember experiencing this year.

Worst game of the year is pretty hard for me. Like Wiper, I'm fairly careful when it comes to buying new games. Off the top of my head I would say Remember Me or Beyond: Two Souls.

Also, I'm curious as to why Aliens is that bad. My brother being a big Aliens fanboy loves it and seriously doesn't get the hate. As I have never watched the movie or played any of the games, what makes it so bad?

I've been a bit more selective in the games I've bought this year, with only a handful of purchases made and lots of freebies grabbed from special offers. I got Sonic Dash for free through a special offer and that was released in March of this year, but the game was just a bit of a mess and not even worthwhile as a freebie. Like Nap I bought P4A, and I think it's a pretty solid fighter but the gameplay mechanics are much more involving than something like SFIV and so I haven't given it much time. Oh, and I also bought Killer is Dead with some store credit earlier this year - it's a nice shooter/brawler and has excellent dodge/parry moves that are as satisfying as Bayo or DMC, but then you have rubbish stages like "She Who (verb)s in Dreams" which are just a massive chore to play through, and some of the boss fights were spoiled by annoying button-mashing QTEs. It's not a terrible game but it seems to alternate between awesome stages and random nonsense that you just want to get out of the way.

Remember Me. Looks nice and that's about it. I'm finding it a hell of a slog to bring myself to play through it at all, given there's little more to it than wandering down a corridor with an occasional simple, basic battle. It does put me in a nice mood for going to sleep after playing though.

Urban Trial Freestyle. A Trials ripoff without any of the nuance or finesse to the controls whatsoever. This seems OK and is reasonable fun, until you get to the point where you realise the game becomes controller smashingly irritating because it starts to need this nuance of control but can't cater for it. Utterly infuriating.

Even then neither are clearly anywhere near the low quality of the other pap mentioned on here, I do wonder why people even get to the point of buying and playing games that are really shite in this informational age.

Not really played anything utterly terrible, but my least favourite game this year was the Tomb Raider reboot. I just found it completely dull (to the point where I'm actually struggling to think of anything specific).

Ride to Hell: Retribution.

A disgraceful game on every single level you could ever use to judge. Metacritic scores aren't the be all obvs, but a critic 13 and a public 9 speaks volumes.

I played a yarr of it just to see how bad it was, and gave up when my character glitched out of the level and his bike randomly exploded.

Special mention to that cricket game that got pulled from sale post release cos it didn't work.