Your first gaming television.

Barnard

Mine was a black and white Binatone with a single tuning knob. I had it wedged into a shelf on my cabin bed, connected to my rubber keyed spectrum. Colour clash didn't mean anything to me, all the games looked fantastic. I remember being intrigued when using my magnifying glass that the picture was made up of lines rather than the dots that colour televisions had. :-D

ugedugy5.jpg

What a beaut.

Oddly, despite gaming since the late '80s I didn't use a TV for gaming until 1997/8 - the PCW and Game Gear had their own screens, the ST and IBM-compatible used distinct monitors, so it wasn't until I got a Saturn that I ever hooked a console into a TV. I couldn't tell you what type it was - a nondescript plastic jobby which we'd had since the mid-90s.

Mine was a black and white Binatone with a single tuning knob. I had it wedged into a shelf on my cabin bed, connected to my rubber keyed spectrum. Colour clash didn't mean anything to me, all the games looked fantastic. I remember being intrigued when using my magnifying glass that the picture was made up of lines rather than the dots that colour televisions had. :-D ugedugy5.jpg What a beaut.

Mine was exactly the same. Tube was fucked too, barely worked.

here she is!

2583004691_11cb7db6e9.jpg

And i bet the Snes would look just as good if i had that TV right now.

I had something similar when I started gaming with my MegaDrive. Although the first television I bought solely with the purpose of gaming was a wonderful 14" Sony Trinitron which is still going after almost 20 years of service.

here she is!

2583004691_11cb7db6e9.jpg

And i bet the Snes would look just as good if i had that TV right now.

We had one of those...had to whack it on the side to make it stop buzzing every twenty minutes or so :lol:

The first one I had that was actually mine was one of these Philips all in one jobbies, was like living in the future (except for being in black and white):

philips%209tc2100%209tc2100-00r.jpg

The first gaming TV in our house was a wooden Bush colour TV. I can't find the exact model online, but this black and white one isn't far off.

post-13-0-88803000-1388582423.jpg

If memory serves me correctly it had four legs, and castors on each so the set could be moved easily. This was the main TV in the house and the main gaming TV until 1984 when we upgraded to a newer set. This was then moved into my room, minus the legs.

Not a bad little set at all. Although I do remember switching it on one day and loads of smoke poured out the back of it.

Happy days!

I had something to the OP too, although I can't remember what maufacturer it was, could have also been a Binatone or it may have been a Grandstand, it had more white plastic than that though and the tuner dial was much bigger and was painted silver. I used it to play my Master System II on.

Wasn't my first gaming tv but it was the first I ever managed to buy myself as a kid:

$T2eC16FHJF4FFkPrCuVlBRcD3H6VKw~~60_35.J

Over 20 years old and it still works, sat at my parents these days in the kitchen though. I remember playing Master System games on it in particular Enduro Racer and much later on completing Ocarina of Time.

1-Sharp-TV-13G-M60.jpg

This wasn't the first one I used, but the first one I had bought for me which I used for many year quite literally until about christmas 2007. I too played Ocarina of Time on it. Mine didn't have a scart which became annoying much later on in its life. A friend of mine had the same TV which did have the scart.

blaupunkt%20fm100-20%20cw%20colombo%20l1

This exact Blaupunkt model acted as the screen during my Atari 2600 and Commodore 64/Amiga period. Massive telly with a screen that'd put the curve in a fish bowl to shame. Can't even remember how I hooked it up, must have been via composite or something even older.

Years later it got replaced by a small 37 cm. white Philips telly. How boring :(

First TV I had in my room was my dad's old black and white portable. It was like a 12 inch screen, if that. Can't remember if the Mega Drive was plugged into it.

This was in 1998. Who still used a black and white TV in 1998? Crazy.

Wasn't my first gaming tv but it was the first I ever managed to buy myself as a kid:

$T2eC16FHJF4FFkPrCuVlBRcD3H6VKw~~60_35.J

Over 20 years old and it still works, sat at my parents these days in the kitchen though. I remember playing Master System games on it in particular Enduro Racer and much later on completing Ocarina of Time.

This exact one, received in my 11th birthday in '93 with a snes and street fighter 2. Such fond memories.

I was 13 in 1985. My brother worked repairing the Link televisions (the rental TVs that were on a cable), and he'd always get hold of old sets. My twin and I had a 21" colour telly in our bedroom! This was at a time when most kids our age were lucky to have a little B&W portable. The telly dated back to 1969, it conked out in 1987 but my brother replaced half the innards, seeing the project as a labour of love. He even drilled a hole in the wall and ran a separate cable from the arial on the roof.

You had to take the back off to tune it, a hazardous task as the metal chassis was live, and when you turned the volume down it didn't go all the way down, but we used that well into the 90s. A mate of my dad's bought it off us for £20, it was virtually an antique at this point.

Not a bad little set at all. Although I do remember switching it on one day and loads of smoke poured out the back of it.

Happy days!

This reminds me of something similar when I was at school.

Briefly, in the 80s my twin and I were at a boarding school in Exeter during the week. A mate there was into electronics so when we found a colour TV dumped behind a shed on the opposite side of the playing field we thought let's get this working. Got it up to the one bedroom and fired it up - it worked! We used that for a couple of months with someone's Acorn Electron and my CPC464 (with modulator). When we turned it off at night it made a disconcerting cracking/sparking noise for about an hour (it was obviously damp).

One day we turned it on and were about to play some Repton 3 on the Electron when this bright orange line appeared across the screen, it got brighter and brighter. We turned that thing off straight away as it looked like the screen was about to implode. It got dumped back behind the shed later that evening.

22" Phillips Colour Tv with wooden surround. Bought from the Bargain Pages. I took the back off and messed around with what looked like a variable resistor so I could play SF2 on the Snes on what looked like full screen. Told my friends it was an import.

This piece of shit was my first telly:

fergusoncourier3805.jpg

It belonged to my nan but she got something better and gave it to me. You tuned in channels by turning the mega-springy buttons for ages until an image came into view. I used it with my cousin's Spectrum and then, hilariously considering, my first console - a Sega Mega Drive. Yup, I played Strider and Sonic in B&W before finally getting a colour telly of my own a few months later.

$(KGrHqJ,!rgFJgefV3bHBScjvG28M!~~60_35.J

Matsui 14" hooked up to a C64 then NES, Megadrive and finally PS1 over RF

Oh man, while I didn't have a console to hook it up to, that was our first TV - got one around 1990, died in the early 2000s, and was our main TV for its entire life.