The Unofficial RLLMUK Awards 2013 - the polls are CLOSED

Wiper

I can't tell you how good Volgarr is. It's the best new game I've played since Dark Souls (it's an obvious comparison but one that only stretches so far - they share only vague similarities). I made a thread about it (http://www.rllmukforum.com/index.php?/topic/275112-volgarr-the-viking/) featuring some more description - plus a silly poem I wrote half in the style of Seamus Heaney's Beowulf translation because it got under my skin so much while I was playing it - and it would be really cool if more people gave it a try. It's a proper game - none of this interactive narrative/audiovisual experience/innovative features nonsense that people talk about all day long nowadays for no good reason, just simple consistent mechanics, unforgiving and inventive levels, and that brief feeling of triumph when you do something right. Plus of course score attack and time trial leaderboards. You can finish the game in 30 minutes, apparently; my first playthrough took about 12 hours.

Been playing this lately, and it's brilliant - only made it to world 3 boss so far, but that feels like a much greater accomplishment than finishing any other game this year. Like you say, very much one for the dark souls crowd, so basically should appeal to a lot of people here.

Out of curiosity - what's the issue with Pinball Arcade?

*cracks fingers*

There's so much wrong about it, it's almost difficult to remember or summarise. Basically, the software itself is broken in many essential ways on every platform. It's supposed to be an accurate simulation of pinball, but elementary things such as ball physics and the way the tables are supposed to operate are incorrect or buggy. There's no consistency between the feel of the tables on different versions, despite it purporting to be a sim. Farsight (I can't get over the irony of the name) simply aren't up to the task, and routinely fail to fix the various problems each format suffers.

At the same time, they'll fall over themselves to start development on a new platform. In the midst of their product going to shit on 360 (they lost their publisher, and that version hasn't been updated with new tables for well over a year) and being delayed indefinitely on PC they proudly announced the arrival of their OUYA dev kit.

They're masters at pointing the finger everywhere else for blame. If anything went wrong with the 360 version it's Microsoft's fault - not theirs for putting out their busted product. They have a legion of white knights who are blind to everything bad about it, and endlessly encourage and fund them, even going as far as to offer up money to fund bug fixes. Since losing Crave as a publisher they've consistently promised that 360 updates are 'on the way' - for months and months. Every single platform has missed its release date.

Most egregiously, they win awards left right and centre, and their game has done incredibly well sales-wise, BUT they beg for kickstarter money from fans to acquire table licenses (which are all conveniently $60,000, no matter the table). Whenever they work on a table they make sure they get one for the office, so they can own it and play on it accurately simulate it. Once they develop the table they fail to get the codes out to backers on time, but that's probably Microsoft's fault. Oh, and they charge a premium for trivial in game options such as viewing angles, options Zen Pinball offers as default.

What else. Oh yeah. The Addams Family. Now, the pinball Addams Family will never be licensed, because the estate of Raul Julia won't allow his likeness or voice to be used post-mortem in any new product. Therefore, this table is never going to appear on Pinball Arcade. However, Farsight repeatedly dangle this carrot in front of their customers as if - by continuing to support them - this dream will one day become reality.

That sounds like I'm mental, but few people were more hyped for this game from its first announcement, so the wounds run deep. I've completely given up on it, especially since I held out for the PC version after being disappointed with the PS3, Mac and iOS releases, and the PC version is just as bad. Most people think it's fine because they download it for their phone and have a quick go, and it seems alright, but they don't know what's going on behind the scenes, and they don't know the tables enough to know they're not actually working properly.

Game of the Year

1. GTA V
2. The last of us
3. Super Mario 3d World
4. Legend of Zelda, Link between Worlds
5. Hotline Miami (Vita)
6. Animal crossing: New leaf
7. Guacamelee
8. Spelunky (Vita)
9. Assassins Creed IV
10. Tearaway

Hall of Shame

1. EA online launches- Sims, Battlefield
2. FIFA 14 old gen versions- cynical and nasty
3. Xbox one
4. Nintendo's lack of proper online accounts
5. Batman Arkham Origins

Surprise of the Year

1. The last of us
2. PS4

3.The Legend of Zelda, a link between worlds
4. Animal Crossing new leaf
5. Tearaway

Most Wanted Game of 2014
1. Dark Souls 2
2. Watch_dogs
3. Destiny
4. Titanfall
5. The Division

Game of the Year
1. Super Mario 3D World
2. The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds
3. Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance
4. Crysis 3
5. Tomb Raider
6. Guacamelee
7. Bioshock Infinite

Most Wanted Game of 2014
1. Destiny
2. The Division
3. Titanfall

An odd year for me. I rarely get new games early-on (i'm incredibly cheap) but there were a lot of things I missed out on as my wife lost her job and money was scarce: TLOU, Killzone Mercenary, Dragon's Crown and a few others.

Of the top 8 I did play, I only really loved/love the top 3. Dishonored (which I'm on the last level of) is merely 'OK' and I suspect got higher marks than it probably deserved because the world it creates is phenomenal. It may be one of my favourite game universes of all time, so a shame then that the gameplay's pretty basic and been seen hundreds of times before. Removed, because 2012.

I'm still strangely drawn to the Crysis games, even though 3's about 3 hours too short and the bow is a win button. Entertaining, though. Tomb Raider was fine, if completely unmemorable, but both Bioshock Infinite and Guacamelee were, for me, enormously overrated. The former's a tedious collect 'em up with pretentions, and the latter's tissue-thin and unsatisfying next to forebears like SotN, Super Metroid or even Shadow Complex.

To finish on a happier note, I had a fantastic gaming year: I loved most of the stuff I picked up cheap (special mentions to FEZ, Arkham City and Mirror's Edge), had a bumper Christmas with both Mario and Link's new outings restoring my faith in Nintendo, and Metal Gear Rising being totally bonkers.

To round things off my wife landed a new job today, so I'll be spending like a moron in 2014 - happy New Year!

5. The Last Guardian - unknown (please please please)

I almost forgot about the Last Guardian. I would add it to my list but I highly doubt that it would be released in 2014, or 2015, or 2016... Hopefully an official announcement, new trailer or something.

Game of the Year

4. Dishonored

Dishonored is comfortably a 2012 game, I'm afraid.

4. Dishonored DLC

I'm afraid DLC doesn't count (standalone expansions would count, but additional content to pre-existing games doesn't)

[b]Game of the Year[/b]
1. GTA V
2. Super Mario 3D World
3.Dead Rising 3
4. Arkham Origins
5.Papers Please
6. Killer Instinct
7.Assassins Creed Black Flag
8. WWE 2k14
9. DC Universe Online (PS4)

[b]Hall of Shame[/b]
1.The continuing misogyny present in gaming
2. how people acted (on ALL sides) at the next gen console launch
3. that said, Microsofts blatant mistakes in the press build up to the launch
4. The increasing presence of microtransactions

[b]Surprise of the Year[/b]
1. Hearthstone being incredibly fun

[b]Most Wanted Game of 2014[/b]
1. Elder Scrolls Online
2. Murdered: Soul Suspect
3. Mario Kart 8

A few brief justifications for some of the inclusions. The some of the latter ones in the main list may seem odd (a WWE game?!?!) but for WWE 2K14, I've had a lot of fun with it in multiplayer and creation modes. There are also a number of games which may have made the list if I'd got round to playing them, some I even own! Notable ones being The Last Of Us, Gone Home, and the new Zelda DS game. DC Universe I included because I never really played it much before it was released on it, if it doesnt count then leave that blank as I cant think of anything else I played released this year I'd want to include.

That's all I have for now, I'll have a think of more and add them later on.

Game of the Year
1. Persona 4 Golden (Vita)
2. Saints Row IV (PS3)

3. The Last of Us (PS3)
4. The Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker HD (Wii U)
5. The Legend of Zelda: A link Between Worlds (3DS)
6. Phoenix Wright: Dual Destinies (3DS)
7. Grand Theft Auto V (PS3)
8. Bioshock Infinite (PS3)
9. Tomb Raider (PS3)
10. Persona 4 Arena (PS3)

Hall of Shame
1. Xbox One U-turns
2. EA (Sim City, Battlefield clusterfucks etc)
3. Adam Sessler throwing his toys out the pram on twitter because he didn't get a PS4

4. Aliens Colonial Marines
5. Everyone's online service shitting itself on Christmas Day

Surprise of the Year
1. DmC: Devil May Cry
2. Playstation Plus

Most Wanted Game of 2014
1. Watch_Dogs
2. infamous: Second Son
3. Persona 4 Arena Ultimate Suplex Hold
4. Persona Q
5. Bayonetta 2

Game of the Year
1. Super Mario 3D World
2. Persona 4 Golden
3. The Legend of Zelda Wind Waker HD
4. The Last Of Us
5. Pokemon X/Y
6. Guacamelee

7. The Wonderful 101
8. Grand Theft Auto V
9. Papers, Please
10. Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D

Hall of Shame
1. XBone
2. Bioshock Infinite
3. Tomb Raider
4. FIFA 14
5. Aliens: Colonial Marines

Surprise of the Year
1. Wii U being awesome
2. Vita being awesome
3. The fact I haven't bought a PS4 or XBone
4. Guacamelee
5. Persona 4 Golden

Most Wanted Game of 2014
1. Bayonetta 2
2. Super Smash Bros. Wii U
3. Mario Kart 8
4. Titanfall
5. Destiny

Game of the Year

1. The Last Of Us

2. Gone Home

3. Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag

4. Papers, Please

5. Tearaway

6. Grand Theft Auto V

7. Bioshock Infinite

8. Tomb Raider

9. The Stanley Parable

10. Hotline Miami (Vita)

Hall of Shame

1. Sim City

2. Battlefield 4

3. XBone microtransactions

4. XBone 180

5. Aliens: Colonial Marines

Surprise of the Year

1. Availability of consoles at launch

2. Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag

3. The ongoing value of PS+

4. Super Mario 3D World

Most Wanted Game of 2014

1. Half Life 3

2. Left 4 Dead 3

3. Portal 3

4. Planetary Annihilation

5. Elite Dangerous

This thread has shown me that I have played very few new games this year:

1. Persona 4 Golden (Vita)

2. Velocity Ultra (Vita)

3. Papers, Please (PC)

4. Persona 4 Arena (PS3/360)

5. Muramasa Rebirth (Vita)

6. Divekick (PS3/360/Vita/PC)

7. Rogue Legacy (PC)

8. The Typing of the Dead: Overkill (PC)

Hall of Shame

1. XBox One announcement/pre-launch nonsense

2. Cessation of Joypod

3. Divekick, despite being a great game, having horribly misplaced design and borderline casual racism

Surprise of the Year

1. PlayStation Vita becoming a must-own system

2. PlayStation Plus maintaining a high hit-rate

3. Virtue's Last Reward not only making it on to PS Plus, but also being incredible

4. Overwhelming positive reaction to Persona 4 Golden

5. That I didn't really enjoy XCom: Enemy Unknown

Most Wanted Game of 2014

1. Ultra Street Fighter IV

2. Zero Escape 3 (unlikely to be in English in 2014 :( )

3. Persona 5 (see above)

Game of the Year

1. Fez

2. GTA V

3. Resogun

4. Gone Home

5. Assassins Creed IV Black Flag

6. BF4

7. Spelunky

8. Mount Your Friends

9. Papers Please

10. Hotline Miami

Hall of Shame

1. XBone

2. Microtransactions

3. Stuff not working

4. Misogyny

5. Fanboys

Surprise of the Year

1. PS4

Most Wanted Game of 2014

1. No Man's Sky

Game of the Year

1. The Last of Us

2. Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons

3. Ni No Kuni

4. Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag

5. Bioshock Infinite

6. Shadowrun Returns

7. Gone Home

8. The Swapper

9. Tomb Raider

10. Football Manager 2014 (didn't think I'd ever get involved in another FM game again)

Hall of Shame

1. Microsofts Xbone shenanigans

2. Petty behaviour of people in the Xbone and PS4 threads

3. Microtransactions

4. Annoying PR speak during presentations and interviews

5. My 'pile of shame'

Surprise of the Year

1. The Last of Us (I hadn't followed the hype)

2. Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons

3. Assassin's Creed IV (expected it to be shit, but it wasn't)

Most Wanted Game of 2014

1. Divinity: Original Sin

2. Wasteland 2

3. The Witcher 3

4. Destiny

5. Watchdogs

Game of the Year

1. Pikmin 3

2. Super Mario 3D world

3. Persona 4 Golden

4. Zelda - A Link Between Worlds

5. GT6

6. Forza 5

7. DoDonPachi Sai Dai Ou Jou

8. Monaco

9. Runner 2

10. Harmoknight

Hall of Shame

1. Anyone who put people who bought an xbox one in their hall of shame list.

Surprise of the Year

1. Harmoknight

2. Monaco

3. Resogun

Most Wanted Game of 2014

1. Destiny

2. Witcher 3

3. Thief

4. Halo 5

5. Witness

I've not finalised my list yet (I have a few more games to play before the end of January), but I'm almost certain Bioshock Infinite will be on mine. Two reasons:

1) it's one of the worst games I've played all year (third from bottom, for me) - a succession of unsatisfying combat arenas does not an enjoyable game make

2) it's a real disappointment - not in terms of hype (I was fortunate enough to read some of the more... measured reviews beforehand), but in terms of setting up a beautiful environment and a vaguely interesting story, then completely undermining it with the meat-headed combat and lack of any other way of interacting with the world (that, and the ridiculous racist 'twist' destroying any last vestiges of a decent plot).

So that's why it would be on my list.

Game of the Year

1. Brothers

2. Last of us

3. Persona 4 Golden

4. GTA V

5. Bioshock Infinite

6. Tomb Raider

7. Assassin's Creed IV

Hall of Shame

1. Microsoft and the xbone

2. Ps Vita still being criminally ignored by the masses

3. Nintendo rolling out the same old stuff year after year

4. All the 'early access' games being sold. Finish it and then release it, you money grabbing bastards

5. Kickstarter being used by already established devs and industry people to make stuff they could afford to do themselves, rather than being used for up-and-coming devs and such to get some much needed limelight

Surprise of the Year

1. Brothers - A Tale of Two Sons - came out of nowhere and I love it

2. Persona 4 Golden - a JRPG I actually like?!?

3. Tearaway - charming but vapid, surprised at how nice it all was but similarly surprised at all the praise and 'GOTY!' talk

4. Shadowrun Returns - hey, this is a bit good, isn't it?!?

5. Starbound

Most Wanted Game of 2014

1. Division

2. Destiny

3. Witcher 3

4. World of Warcraft: Warlords of Draenor

5. Order 1886

Out of interest, why are some people putting Bioshock Infinite in the Hall of Shame? Is it related to all the hype and hyperbole around it or did you think it was a terrible game?

(or both!)

It's become very cool to hate Bioshock Infinite the last month or two it seems to me, you can see it in the Metacritic user reviews and the various sites that helped it get a Metacritic score of 94 giving it little credit in end of year lists. I think the disappointment of the DLC probably hasn't helped though. Chet & Jon's podcast had a pretty good rant on it the other week.

It's an rllmuk thing, too, and has been for some time. It's like it becomes the 'in' thing to suddenly turn on a game that others have praised. It has happened with many great games that, whilst not as good as the critics would have you believe, are still great games. But agreeing with the masses isn't cool, or something.

Genuinely struggled to think of ten games I've played that came out this year.

Game of the Year
1. Ginga Force
2. Runner 2
3. Mount Your Friends
4. Ni No Kuni
5. Spelunky
6. Darkstalkers Resurrection
7. Persona 4 Arena
8. Dive Kick
9. Tearaway
10. Thomas Was Alone

Hall of Shame
1. Microsoft's horrific DRM plans and the horribly arrogant attitude they have towards their customers
2. No Skate 4
3. Barely playing Street Fighter x Tekken (not to mention P4:Arena)
4. Vita sales
5. No Netflix for UK Vita users

Surprise of the Year
1. Microsoft - THIS CONSOLE IS REVERSING
2. Vita approximately 8 x more excellent than I had imagined
3. Mount Your Friends
4. Wultra in Ultra SFIV
5. PS+ continuing to amaze

Most Wanted Game of 2014
1. Ultra Street Fighter IV
2. Persona 5
3. EDF 2025
4. Persona 4 Arena 2
5. Guilty Gear Xrd

Having different tastes is fine, as is not enjoying something that others do, but suddenly saying a game like Tomb Raider, Bioshock Infinite or the Last of Us are the worst games of the year is just being contrary for contrary's sake. It's the hyperbolic vitriol people spew forth about otherwise popular games for whatever reason - to stand out from the crowd? To appear 'cool' or 'edgy'? Who knows. For example, I didn't like Dishonoured. Everyone was praising it and saying 'GOTY!' and I just thought it was a serviceable but otherwise dull, ugly game. I didn't go round saying 'WORST GAME OF THE YEAR!!!!', I simply moved on, somewhat disappointed. Same with Tearaway. It's cute, charming and makes some good use of the vita touch controls, but otherwise it's a pretty but empty game with zero challenge. It's fun enough, sure, but GOTY? Hence why I said it was one of my surprises of the year, but I don't for a second think it's suddenly the worst game of the year or something.

Having different tastes is fine, but suddenly saying a game like Tomb Raider, Bioshock Infinite or the Last of Us are the worst games of the year is just being contrary for contrary's sake. It's the hyperbolic vitriol people spew forth about otherwise popular games for whatever reason - to stand out from the crowd? To appear 'cool' or 'edgy'? Who knows. For example, I didn't like Dishonoured. Everyone was praising it and saying 'GOTY!' and I just thought it was a serviceable but otherwise dull, ugly game. I didn't go round saying 'WORST GAME OF THE YEAR!!!!', I simply moved on, somewhat disappointed.

We've been through all this in the other thread! People don't tend to buy shit games, ergo they're talking about the worst of the bunch they played.

The bizarre response to disliking overrated AAA games in the 'Worst' and 'Most Disappointing' threads was, essentially, "Puh, you lot need to play more shit games!" which is, frankly, nuts.

And I didn't like Bioshock Infinite from day one, for the record.

Game of the Year
1. Brothers - A Tale of Two Sons
2. The Last of Us
3. Papers Please
4. Tomb Raider
5. The Stanley Parable
6. Gunpoint

Hall of Shame
1. Bioshock Infinite (really should have been an RPG to do justice to the themes, writing and setting)
2. The fact that the industry still overwhelmingly targets young, white, hetrosexual males

Surprise of the Year
1. Brothers - A Tale of Two Sons
2. The Stanley Parable Demo

Most Wanted Game of 2014
1. The Witness
2. GTA V - PC version
3. Quadrilateral Cowboy
4. Mirrors Edge 2
5. Broken Age

It's an rllmuk thing, too, and has been for some time. It's like it becomes the 'in' thing to suddenly turn on a game that others have praised. It has happened with many great games that, whilst not as good as the critics would have you believe, are still great games. But agreeing with the masses isn't cool, or something.

That's definitely it. Nothing to do with actually disliking the game, or being disappointed by it failing to live up to its promises, or finding it lacking in comparison to its predecessors. It's actually just me trying to join in with the masses and be 'cool' and 'edgy'.

And yeah, as Treble says, the "how can this be the worst/most disappointing game you've played?!?!?!?!?" argument doesn't really work unless you're talking to professional games reviewers/serial piraters/extremely rich people who buy huge amounts of games/people who buy games without reading reviews at first. Most of us not falling into those categories generally precludes us playing games that are widely recognised as utter dross.

I've not finalised my list yet (I have a few more games to play before the end of January), but I'm almost certain Bioshock Infinite will be on mine. Two reasons:

1) it's one of the worst games I've played all year (third from bottom, for me) - a succession of unsatisfying combat arenas does not an enjoyable game make

2) it's a real disappointment - not in terms of hype (I was fortunate enough to read some of the more... measured reviews beforehand), but in terms of setting up a beautiful environment and a vaguely interesting story, then completely undermining it with the meat-headed combat and lack of any other way of interacting with the world (that, and the ridiculous racist 'twist' destroying any last vestiges of a decent plot).

So that's why it would be on my list.

Thanks - weirdly I feel completely the opposite way; the main reason I found the combat so satisfying was that it was arena-based! I do think I probably overlooked some dodgy bits of the story because I was enjoying it so much (the Vox Populi stuff, mainly)

Aye, I imagine if I'd enjoyed the combat I'd have more easily forgiven the other issues. The thing is I actually enjoy arena based combat generally - I love Shadow Warrior, for example, and Halo remains my favourite combat-focussed FPS and is mostly made up of [very large] combat arenas - I just found the combat in Infinite to be not very enjoyable, while the arenas themselves just served to further highlight how opposed the game world and story were from the actual gameplay (a vibrant city... filled with empty arenas perfect for combat. Um.)

Game of the Year
1. Super Hexagon
2. Animal Crossing: New Leaf
3. GTA V
4. Spelunky
5. Stealth Inc: A Clone in the Dark
6. Thomas Was Alone
7. DmC
8. Guacamelee

9. Darkstalkers Resurrection

Hall of Shame
1. XBone