Surprise of the Year

1. Final Fantasy XIV:ARR

Most Wanted Game of 2014

1. GTA5 - PC

2. Broken Age

3. Elite: Dangerous

4. Half-Life 3

Hi everyone!

Just checking you've all got your Hate Schedule for 2014. We're planning on going hard and fast on Titanfall due to its One exclusivity and our ongoing dispute with Microsoft, so please ensure that you start hating it immediately. Destiny has a couple of months grace period but if you could start light grumblings in October building to a angry roar by December then we're likely to hit our targets. Really want to ensure that we place a lot of focus on The Witness; indies have been getting far too easy a ride these last few years and this has the perfect balance between high profile and boutique gaming so we can get maximum exposure when we start getting angry. The keyword here is 'Pipemania'. I can not stress enough how important it is that we all use this as often as possible in our diatribes.

As we all know, it's incredibly important what the wider world thinks about the opinions of a few hundred geeks in one corner of the internet, so if we all make sure we are going in the same direction we can be sure that someone, somewhere will give a flying fuck. Thank you for your time.

We have a reputation of second cuntiest forum on the internet to maintain, you know!

Bit of a quiet year from me on the videogaming front. I probably played Dark Souls more than any 2013 games and most of the latter half of the year I've been playing a ton of Magic: The Gathering (paper and online), which has taken up most of my spare gaming time. I bought Bioshock Infinite and The Last of Us, but neither clicked with me enough to bother including. I'm pretty sure Papers Please would have made the list if I'd have had a chance to play it, but not got round to it yet.

This year is obviously all about Dark Souls 3 :wub:

Game of the Year

1. XCOM: Enemy Unknown

2. Rogue Legacy

3. The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds

Most Wanted Game of 2014

1. Dark Souls 2

2. Dragon Age 3

3. Witcher 3

4. Chaos Reborn

5. Mirrors Edge 2

Game of the Year

1. Super Mario 3D World

2. GTA V

3. Killer Instinct

4. Dead Rising 3

5. Zelda - Link Between Worlds

6. Fire Emblem Awakening

7. Wonderful 101

8. Pikmin 3

9. Luigi's Mansion 2

10. Papers, Please

Hall of Shame

1. People falling hook line and sinker for Sony's PR yet again

2. PS4 launch lineup

3. Nintendo losing ground with each passing year and slowly going the way of Sega

4. EA/Dice for Battlefield 4 stability

5. Assassins Creed IV - crap combat & dated AI

Surprise of the Year

1. Killer Instinct being absolutely fantastic

Most Wanted Game of 2014

1. Quantum Break

2. Ultra Streetfighter 4

3. Bayonetta II

4. Titanfall

Out of interest, why are some people putting Bioshock Infinite in the Hall of Shame? Is it related to all the hype and hyperbole around it or did you think it was a terrible game?

(or both!)

For me personally it was too far away from the original two games, didn't play the same, feel the same, have the same "wow" factor that had me standing around for hours on end looking at posters on the wall in one and two, the characters felt empty. The baddies were boring as opposed to the excellent "big daddies". The was a huge amount of hype surrounding it and for me it didn't deliver, I saw it through to the end, didn't enjoy it and won't even bother with the DLC season pass I purchased.

That's why, it's in my hall of shame, not because I'm a Rllmuk sheep.

GTA V in hall of shame, are you kidding me?

Haven't enjoyed a GTA since probably GTA 2, not sure why I thought 5 would be any different, just not for me. The hall of shame vote is more for the fact that I got sucked in to the hype of a game I knew full well I wouldn't enjoy and queued up at midnight for my launch copy rather than it actually being a bad game, I probably should have stated that.

The Bioshock one however is purely because I believe it's a bad game, compared to its predecessors.

Haven't enjoyed a GTA since probably GTA 2, not sure why I thought 5 would be any different, just not for me. The hall of shame vote is more for the fact that I got sucked in to the hype of a game I knew full well I wouldn't enjoy and queued up at midnight for my launch copy rather than it actually being a bad game, I probably should have stated that.

The Bioshock one however is purely because I believe it's a bad game, compared to its predecessors.

Are you... me?

Or people might just have different taste, imagine!

There's nothing wrong with disliking games and explaining why at all but to say it belongs in a hall of shame? As in the producers should be embarrassed by what they've done and you wished it had never happened? Hall of shame is a phrase that originally comes from the putting up of the Berlin wall and all that it symbolised, not just someone not enjoying something as much as they'd have hoped. In a year like this, which has had a lot of amazing things but also a lot of the worst things to happen to gaming in a generation then to stick in a well produced game you just don't like the chosen direction of is immature attention grabbing.

Apologies that what I would concider the hall of shame as to be different to you.

That's like saying that all the people that are putting the XBO into the hall of shame are wrong because it's a well produced console that somebody worked hard on. Even though it has sold well and there's loads of people happy with it.

I see the hall of shame votes as something you didn't enjoy about this gaming year for whatever reason. Granted I should have specified my reason but other than that I have no apologies over my list

Game of the Year
1. The Guided Fate Paradox (PS3)
2. Muramasa Rebirth (Vita)
3. Hotline Miami (Vita)
4. Resogun (PS4)
5. Disgaea D2:A Brighter Darkness (PS3)
6. Ratchet & Clank: Nexus (PS3)
7. Rogue Legacy (PC)
8. Dragon's Crown (PS3/Vita)
9. Tearaway (Vita)
10. Ni No Kuni (PS3)

Hall of Shame
1. The MS/XBOne/Major Nelson/Don Mattress/everything else fustercluck
2. People not buying a Vita
3. Sim City
4. The spread of microtransactions (also part of 1)
5. PR people and speak (also part of 1)

Surprise of the Year
1. Rogue Legacy
2. Tearaway
3. Knack being far better than it was supposed to be
4. Long Live The Queen
5. That it took this long for MS to try and fuck everyone over

Most Wanted Game of 2014
1. Hotline Miami 2: Wrong Number
2. Elite: Dangerous
3. Rogue Legacy Vita
4. Infamous: Second Son
5. No Man's Sky

Game of the Year
1. The Last Of Us
2. Tearaway
3. Rayman: Legends (Vita version)
4. Killzone: Mercenary
5. Resogun
6. Velocity: Ultra
7. God Of War: Ascension
8. Puppeteer
9. Beyond: Two Souls
10. DMC
Hall of Shame
1. Microsoft's Messaging / Policies
2. Gearbox
3. Adam Sessler's Twitter Meltdown
4. Day One Digital Prices Of Console Games
5. Anyone Who Hasn't Yet Bought A Vita ;)
Surprise of the Year
1. Wii U's Q2 Shipping Numbers For Europe
2. PS4's Spec Domination Over Xbox
3. Microsoft's 180
4. Hotline: Miami (Vita)
5. 3DS's Strong Sales
Most Wanted Game of 2014
1. Infamous: Second Son
2. Velocity 2
3. Hotline Miami 2
4. The Order 1866
5. Bayonetta 2

Game of the Year

1. The Last Of Us

Sadly the wall of hype for The Last Of Us will colour how it's remembered, but I'll never forget my initial play through. Never have I felt so invested in the characters of a game or their plight. The combat brings with it a tension which few survival horror games this gen have mustered, and the stealth is similarly a master class in execution. For me this raises the bar in what I expect from my AAA games, a truly unforgettable gaming experience.

2. Tearaway

Charming and inventive, Tearaway's greatest ability, is how perfectly the world has been crafted around the Vita's various control inputs, and how it makes a concerted effort to not only give you ways to effect the play area, but to become a living and integral part of it. One of the true moments of hardware and software working in unison, to create an experience wholly unique to the host platform.

3. Rayman: Legends (Vita version)

I initially feared this would amount to little more than a level pack, and whilst the core platforming action remains at the heart of this sequel, the inventiveness of each level and the excellent use of touch and motion give Legends a clear identity of it's own. The difficulty is also smoothed down from the original game, leaving plenty of room for challenge, without any progress blocking difficulty spikes. A real joy to play.

4. Killzone: Mercenary

One of the most accomplished games on the Vita. This is a no compromise Killzone game, which in many respects trumps it's PS3 siblings. Tightly designed levels pair with stunning visuals and a compelling assignment based structure, are topped off by a fully featured multiplayer component. Mercenaries fulfills every bit of Sony's initial promise for the Vita, of making traditional console games portable, without any compromises.

5. Resogun

Far more than just an old school idea given a lick of next gen paint, this voxel driven masterpiece is one of the most compelling arcade blasters of recent years. Highlights for me are the thumping soundtrack and perfectly balanced boss battles. Flinging humans across a bullet hell battle scape will never get boring.

6. Velocity: Ultra

A thrilling update to an already superb vertical scrolling shoot 'em up. The freedom of movement and strategic decisions necessary to complete the presented missions are the real pull here, whilst the fresh graphics, music and new levels made this a very welcome addition to the Velocity canon.

7. God Of War: Ascension

Polishes a well honed formulae, of epic set pieces, brutal combat and surly heroes. It speaks volumes that even though this is probably the weakest instalment of the series, it's still a head turner in a well packed year.

8. Puppeteer

A joyous experience, with one of the finest graphical and animation styles in Playstation history. The ideas may run out of steam during the final few acts, but it's wholly unfair to dismiss the game as all flash no bang. The platforming is satisfying, and the variations in play are well thought out additions to the basic draw of running and jumping.

If nothing else, it's a game you should seek to play for a while, even if you aren't inclined to see it through to the end, just because the visual style and the developers whole hearted commitment to the theatre setting, is something which deserves to be experienced first hand.

9. Beyond: Two Souls

Whilst it's wider ambitions may have stunted it's immersion and the non-linear story telling further withered the players attachment to the characters, I found Quantic Dream's latest attempt to bring traditional film narratives to games an enjoyable experience. The actual gameplay is a clear step up from Heavy Rain, and the wider story being told was compelling to follow.

Cage gets a lot of grief for his writing, but personally I don't have any real issue with it. The characters bond and interact well, and the performances by Dafoe and Page carry the narrative well. I'm very keen to see where Cage's ambitions will take his first PS4 game.

10. DMC

I'm not going to claim to be any great expert in third person combat games, but I enjoyed the original Devil May Cry games, and so had no trepidation in playing this controversial reboot. It made the list simply because I had a lot of fun with it. The world and setting have a wonderfully abstract tint to them, and provide the perfect backdrop for the fast paced platforming which makes up a larger part of the game than you'd think.

The combat feels faithful to the original games, but somehow slicker and easier to get to grips with. I almost certainly saw only the very tip of the depths of combat which Devil May Cry 3 offered, yet with this, I felt I was pulling off intricate and visually satisfying combos, even though I hadn't memorised ten digit button combos.

But yeah, it really does just boil down to fun, and now that it's on Playstation Plus, I would fully recommend those unsure if it could stand up to the series heritage, give it a go.

Hall of Shame

1. Microsoft's Messaging / Policies

Needs no further comment really, other than to say MS's complete fluffing of the Xbox One unveil, will go down in gaming lore as one of the most spectacular misfires in console history.

2. Gearbox

Gearbox could be nominated more than once for this category. The complete farce which surrounded Aliens: Colonial Marines is one for the books.

To start with, their initial marketing efforts - which involved trying to pass off high end tech demos as final code - were reminiscent of the 8 bit era, when publishers would stick screen shots of the arcade game on the back of Spectrum game boxes. They were rightly called out by many gamers and websites for their BS, but this was only the beginning of the omnishambles they were presiding over.

Not content with completely misrepresenting the visual quality of the final game, the actual truth was even more stark. The game itself was almost entirely outsourced to no-name developer, Timegate Studios, who had trashed nearly all of Gearboxes pre-production work, and handed their efforts back to Gearbox in an unplayable state, mere months before the final submission date.

All of this played out against a press tour by Randy Pitchford, aimed at geeing people up for the ultimate Aliens experience, whilst the truth was that back at the office, Gearbox were frantically crunching to get any old shit out the door, so Sega wouldn't sue them for breach of contract. Awful, awful way of doing business, and I hope that behind the scenes, they have been chastised for their conduct.

3. Adam Sessler's Twitter Meltdown

I've nothing against Adam personally, he always comes across as an impassioned and sincere video game commentator, but his meltdowns over pretty much anything in the run up to this gen have reflected very poorly on him. His resulting swearing off of the industry - which was ultimately about nothing more than Sony not giving him a PS4 dev kit to play with - was embarassing, and his throwing of rattles earned him little respect amongst his peers or viewers.

4. Day One Digital Prices Of Console Games

Same old, same old. All I need is some sort of token discount to convince me to switch to digital, but nope, publishers seem quite content to continue price gauging their way through the gen.

5. Anyone Who Hasn't Yet Bought A Vita ;)

Yes you, there's really no excuse at this point, especially if you own a PS4, it's simply a fantastic piece of gaming tech which has a steady stream of fantastic games headed towards it next year. All joking aside, I understand it makes less sense if you do your indie gaming elsewhere, but as a console exclusive gamer, I truly rate it as the most compelling gaming device out there, and it's continued sales struggle saddens me greatly.

Surprise of the Year

1. Wii U's Q2 Shipping Numbers For Europe

Wii U Q2 2014 Hardware Shipments:

Japan: 140,000
Americas: 170,000
Europe: (-20,000)
Total: 300,000

I take absolutely no pleasure in seeing a Nintendo console struggle this badly, but those EU shipping figures paint a picture so bleak for the Wii U's chances in Europe, that I quite literally laughed out loud when I first saw them.

Nintendo desperately need to pull off a miracle to pull the Wii U out of the sales swamp it's currently languishing in. That it's struggled this badly is a genuine surprise to me.

2. PS4's Spec Domination Over Xbox

As it stands, the PS4 has faster memory with more of it available to developers, has a stronger graphics card, and recent developer insiders and tech benchmarks are saying outright, that PS4 has more CPU power available for games.

It's an across the board win for the PS4 in the spec battle, something I honestly didn't foresee happening to this extent.

3. Microsoft's 180

I honestly didn't expect it. I thought they would stick to their guns, refine the message and maybe even sugar coat it with an expansion of the family sharing plan, but the complete 180 of their 'always online' policy was a real shock, and was quite obviously a desperate move to save the product from a truly disastrous launch.

On the one hand, kudos to them for listening and reacting with such gusto, on the other, how on Earth did they manage to, not only gauge the temperament of the audience they were speaking to so badly, but so disastrously communicate their plans in the first place.

I'll forever take heart with the mistakes I make in my own life, that if the hordes of lawyers, developer, managers and marketeers at Microsoft managed to screw up a multi-billion dollar decision like this, then I won't be so hard on myself when I make a bad call.

4. Hotline: Miami (Vita)

Perhaps this game more than any other, changed my expectations of indie games from being a snack between the AAA main courses, to a feast in themselves. The hours I lost to Hotline: Miami rival that of any released this year, and spearheaded in me, a new found respect for the ability of indie games to hold my attention as well as any big budget release.

5. 3DS's Strong Sales

Dominating the NPD for the second half of the year, at a time when mobile gaming has been declared dead is no small feat. The 3DS's killer lineup has delivered deserved sales results for the big N, now let's see if they can perform a similar miracle for the Wii U.

Most Wanted Game of 2014

1. Infamous: Second Son
2. Velocity 2
3. Hotline Miami 2
4. The Order 1866
5. Bayonetta 2

1) Games must be input using the format given below, with no comments in the form. You can copy the text from this post, or just type it out yourself: if so do not use the list function, just type the numbers directly. And please put the titles in bold!

(You may have a commented list in spoilers below the form. You may also discuss things within the thread. Just keep the actual lists clear)

:quote:

Okay here we go:

Game of the Year

1. Grand Theft Auto V (360)

2. Last of Us (PS3)

3. Lego City Undercover (WiiU)

4. Resogun (PS4)

5. Bioshock Infinite (PC)

6. Assassins Creed IV (PS4)

7. Brothers: Tale of Two Sons (PS3)

8. State of Decay (360)

9. Rayman Legends (WiiU)

10. Final Fantasy XIV (PC)

Hall of Shame

1. Xbox One Unveiling

2. Ubisofts Rayman Legends WiiU delay

3. Micro transaction madness

4. VGX Awards Show

5. EA general fuckery (Sim City, Online issues, Launch day bugs.. Etc)

Surprise of the Year

1. Me not owning (or being interested in) the Xbox One

2. Final Fantasy XIV reboot actually being good

3. Battlefield 4 Multiplayer restoring my faith in online shooters

4. The Stanley Parable for being such a unique experience (not quite GOTY material for me though)

5. Launch PS4 games actually making my GOTY list

Most Wanted Game of 2014

1. Destiny

2. Dark Souls 2

3. Diablo 3 Reaper of Souls

4. Thief (even though it will probably be pants)

5. Driveclub

Didn't this happen like three years ago?

Yep 2011 :facepalm:

I'm blaming a lack of sleep.. Was also going to put Studio Liverpool closing but realised that was 2012.. Where the hell is time going!

Not to worry I'm sure there are plenty of other things I can replace it with.

Game of the Year
1. GTA V.
2. Fire Emblem: Awakening.
3. Gunpoint
4. Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds.
5. The Swapper.
6. Rogue Legacy.
7. Europa Universalis IV.
8. State of Decay.
9. Papers, Please.
10. Bubsy 3D: Bubsy visits the James Turrell Retrospective.

Hall of Shame
1. EA's clusterfuck of clusterfucks.
2. Xbone
3. Microtransactions and Free-to-Play bullshit in £40/£50 games
4. GTA V Online.
5. Rome 2: Total War.

Surprise of the Year
1. AC IV: Black Flag.
2. State of Decay.
3. EU IV actually being accessible and easy to pick up!
4. Sim City being so awful.
5. Zelda: Link Between Worlds being as modern-feeling as it is while being very retro.

Most Wanted Game of 2014
1.Elite: Dangerous
2. Transistor
3. Rimworld
4. Clockwork Empires
5. Game of Thrones

Game of the Year

1. GTA V

2. Animal Crossing: New Leaf

3. Super Mario 3D World

4. Forza 5

5. Zelda: A Link Between Worlds

6. Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons

7. Max: The Curse of Brotherhood

8. Bioshock Infinite

9. Dishonored GOTY

10. Deus Ex: Human Revolution - Director's Cut

Hall of Shame

1. The way the cars etc.. handle in GTA V

Most Wanted Game of 2014

1. Thief

2. Half Life 3

3. Halo 4

4. Destiny

5. Titanfall

Game of the Year

1. The Last Of Us

2. Ni no Kuni

3. Battlefield 4

4. Bioshock Infinite

5. Grand Theft Auto V

6. Company of Heroes 2

7. Total War: Rome 2

8. Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag

9. Tearaway

10. Tomb Raider

Hall of Shame

1. Microtransactions seemingly put in to skip artificial unnecessary grinding in far too many games

2. Xbox One's drastic last minute U-turn

3. BF4's broken online at launch

4. Yakuza 5 not getting released in the West

5. Last minute postponements to heavily promoted next gen launch titles

Surprise of the Year

1. 8GB DDR5!

2. Joachim Mogren really IS Hideo Kojima!

3. Valve's SteamOS and own hardware!

4. US and Europe getting the PS4 before Japan!

5. Mass Effect 3's Citadel DLC being so magnificent after the awful original ending to the game!

Most Wanted Game of 2014

1. Metal Gear Solid V

2. Destiny

3. Titanfall

4. Dragon Age Inquisition

5. The Last Guardian

Game of the Year
1. The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds
2. Brothers
3. Super Mario 3D World
4. Rogue Legacy
5. The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD
6. The Last of Us
7. Bioshock Infinite
8. Tomb Raider
9. DmC: Devil May Cry
10. Saints Row IV

Hall of Shame
1. RLLMUK fanboys and the embarrassing next gen bullshit #TEAMSONY!
2. Sim City
3. Battlefield 4 launch
4. Nintendo Network woes

5. Microtransactions

Surprise of the Year
1. Feeling genuine sadness for the death of Ryan Davis, a man I'd never met but was a big part of my week
2. RLLMUK turning into children on the schoolyard again over the console wars
3. Assassin's Creed being good again
4. Xbox One Kinect actually working
5. Gears of War Judgement being the secret best Gears of War game

Most Wanted Game of 2014
1. The Division
2. Kirby Triple Deluxe
3. Uncharted 4
4. Quantum Break
5. Destiny