4. Tomb Raider

5. Gran Turismo 6

6 Zelda wind waker HD

7. Ass creed black flag

8. State of decay

9. Zelda link between worlds

10. DMC

Hall of Shame

1. Battlefield 4 - So broken at launch and still not fixed.

2. Killzone shadowfall. Loved 2 and 3 but this is all graphics and shitty game.

3. PSN - still frequently down, despite now being a paid service.

4. The Vita lineup. Piss poor when the big e3 reveal is borderlands 2.

5. Saints row IV - anybody say cash grab?

Most Wanted Game of 2014

1. Titanfall

2. Destiny

3. Watch dogs

4. Mario Kart 8

5. Infamous second son

That's a shame - I can understand the change from DLC to full game leaving a sour taste, but I loved it enough that I didn't mind (for me it's far better than The Third, and at least as good as 2) - for me the anarchic presentation and Crackdown-style super powers were a perfect match.

Game of the Year

1. Gunpoint

2. Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons

3. Gone Home

4. Call of Juarez: Gunslinger

5. The Stanley Parable

6. Papers, Please

7. Super Mario 3D World

8. Dead Rising 3

9. Shadowrun Returns

10. Assassin's Creed 4: Black Flag

Hall of Shame

1. Microsoft and the Xbone DRM/180 mess

2. Microtransactions

3. EA fucking up SimCity, NBA and Battlefield 4 so bad that they had to publicly apologize for it each time

4. Bioshock Infinite - for being my biggest disappointment of the year after loving the previous two titels. A crap combat system meant playing it was no fun at all for me, but the story didn't do much to save it either.

5. Half Life 3 - I'm not sure I still BELI3VE

Surprise of the Year

1. Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons - I had pretty much given up completely on Starbreeze and then they go and make something completely different and wonderful.

2. Me buying a Wii U - and liking it!

3. Tearaway, it came out of nowhere for me

4. Sony and the PlayStation 4 - despite having a good amount of great, must-have games, I thought the PS3 was lacklustre console with a terrible controller. I never expected Sony to turn it around so spectacularly.

5. Assassin's Creed 4: Black Flag after the disappointment of 3 last year.

Most Wanted Game of 2014

1. Dark Souls 2

2. The Witcher 3

3. Divinity: Original Sin

4. Pillars of Eternity

5. Half Life 3 - I still BELI3VE

Game of the Year

1. Super Mario 3D World

2. Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance

3. The Last of Us

4. The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds

5. The Wonderful 101

6. Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons

7. Volgarr The Viking

8. Device 6

9. Rayman Legends

10. Guacamelee

Hall of Shame

1. Gamer entitlement reaching new lows with death threats sent to devs and other industry figures

2. Annoyed Gamer versus Phil Fish

3. Microsoft being all over the place

4. Gamers not embracing quality machines like Wii U and Vita, with both offering some of the best gaming of the year

5. Games being shipped in such a rushed state with EA being particularly shameful here

Surprise of the Year

1. Sony dominating, including in countries that were MS's last gen

2. 3D World being as amazing as it is after the lacklustre E3 reveal. Lesson learned; never doubt EAD Tokyo.

3. Ubisoft's downloadable titles, with Call Of Juarez Gunslinger being particularly good and Blood Dragon being much better than vanilla FC3

4. Itagaki revealing Devil's Third is almost done

5. GTA V being so disappointing for me after all the amazing trailers

Most Wanted Game of 2014

1. Devil's Third

2. Bayonetta 2

3. Super T.I.M.E. Force

4. Shovel Knight

5. The Order: 1886

Time for some explaining. For me, this might have been best year of this entire gen. Tons of variety, classic franchises delivering, the pinnacle of AAA gaming, fantastic art, great storytelling, wonderful indies and some of the most inspired work from companies as diverse as Nintendo, Simogo and Platinum.

I did not include games that were already released on other platforms last year, even though Spelunky, Hotline Miami and Velocity Ultra are all brilliant games that might just be best on Vita. Without further ado:

1. Super Mario 3D World ; A masterclass in gameplay design. I thought it would be a massive step back from the Galaxy games after its E3 debut, but boy was I wrong. The levels are short but impeccably designed. It's filled with charm, wonderful power-ups and the endgame is tough, yet rewarding. The multiplayer is excellent fun as well. All in all it's further proof that Tokyo EAD can seemingly do no wrong and are arguably the most talented studio in gaming right now.

2. Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance ; Even though its short development time means it's a little rough around the edges, it also delivers the most fun combat system of the year for me. Instead of the stylish combo focus of games like Devil May Cry and Bayonetta, MGR is all about parrying, evading and slicing. It does all those things wonderfully well and with enemies that are really out for your blood on higher difficulties it results in an incredibly fun action game with some of the best boss fights of this entire generation. In the first 15 minutes alone, you'll jump from missile to missile, run down a building under fire and slice a Metal Gear in half. That's more than most games muster in their entirety. So good that even Yathzee put it in his top five. This image sums it up pretty well:

nnV9al4.jpg

3. The Last of Us ; Described by many as the game this entire generation has been building towards, it's by far the best of the big AAA games. Whereas GTA is still stuck in dated mission design, scattershot satire and archaic controls, Naughty Dog delivered some of the most mature storytelling ever in games, with compelling characters, excellent voice acting and dialogue, a really fleshed out world and one of the best endings gaming ever gave us. Comparisons with Uncharted are moot: it's a remarkably restrained game with no big set-pieces, gameplay systems that value stealth over shooting and a beautiful, subtle soundtrack that is the exact opposite of Hollywood bombast. Its excellent dynamic gameplay systems that allow for tense cat and mouse games with the AI and on the fly improvisation when things go tits up deserve as much credit as its production values and storytelling.

4. The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds ; A great Mario game and a great Zelda game in one year. We've truly been blessed. It's a fast-paced gem of a game that gives the player more freedom, doesn't waste its world with filler and bloat (Ubisoft, take note), makes excellent use of 3D and has one of the best soundtracks of the year. Like the best Nintendo games, it's filled with charm and wonder and another gilt edged addition to the 3DS library.

5. The Wonderful 101 ; This game could be higher if I had a few more months as it's a game I'm still mastering. It's the least accessible game in my list, but also the deepest. It's one of those rare games that demands investment and it arguably doesn't do the best job of explaining how deep the rabbit hole goes and boy does it go deep. You only have to look at Saur's excellent breakdowns to see that this has one of the best combat systems ever. It's all there: combos, juggles, cancels, counters and epic boss fights, but in most games you fight the crowd. In this game you are the crowd. It's the most novel and daring game of this list and shows that Kamiya and Platinum are the best thing that have happened to this industry when it comes to quality action games that all have a style of their own, without sacrificing depth and going for the lowest common denominator.

6. Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons ; This year's Journey. A downloadble game that tells everything it needs to tell in the few hours it lasts and doesn't waste time by including filler and bloat. Brothers serves up a world full of wonder, a true adventure that builds towards an emotional climax. It's a pure game as well, as you are constantly interacting with the world, something I much prefer to Telltale's way of telling stories. Sure, it's not the most challenging game in the world, but it doesn't need to be. Everything you do makes perfect sense in the context of the story it tells and the world it takes place in. A magical, powerful little game.

7. Volgarr The Viking ; Miss rock hard action platformers like Super Ghouls and Ghosts? This is the game for you. It wears its inspirations on its sleeve, but that is no bad thing at all. Incredibly tight level design, filled with enemies and hazards that will kill you in an instant if you are not careful. The game is never unfair though, it just punishes mistakes without mercy. Controls work great, there are lots of secrets to discover and if you think gaming has gone too soft, you probably haven't played this.

8. Device 6 ; Like Platinum and Nintendo, Simogo made more than one great game this year. Which is particularly impressive when you realise it's a two man team. Year Walk is superb as well, but I found Device 6 the better of the two. Whereas iOS is flooded with crap and more endless runners than you can shake a stick at, here's a game that does things differently. Instead of grinding or flooding you with microtransaction requests, you just pay (little) for an original, surreal and smart little game where you litterally interact with the text. You follow it, swiping and rotating your device to reach the next smart puzzle or to go back and find clues you might have missed. Like some other games on this list, it builds towards a perfect ending and the song Anna will stay in your head for a long time. Not to be missed.

9. Rayman Legends ; Like Origins before it, it's an excellent 2D platformer with some of the best visuals and music of the year. It's a more varied package too, with smart implementation of the touch screen (I played the Wii U version), online challenges, music levels and what might be the best local 4 player multiplayer mode of the year in Kung Foot. Some people will tell you that Origins is more challenging, but the online challenges and invasion levels make up for that. It's by far the best of Ubisoft's bigger titels this year and it's a good thing they are using this great engine for other titles.

10. Guacamelee ; Metroidvania that might not reach the highs of the games its inspired by, but is still a very fun game with excellent art and music, surprisngly challenging platforming and a combat system that is far from shallow. Good stuff.

As for my most wanted games, I could come up with dozens of promising indies, but I think I will create a new topic for that. I also did not include any games that are to the best of my knowledge unconfirmed for 2014, like The Phantom Pain, Uncharted 4, Zelda U, The Last Guardian or Project X. It's a list that might be very different after E3, but for now I'm going with this. The future is looking bright.

Devil's Third ; So long in the making that I'm glad there is light at the end of the tunnel. Sure enough, we have seen nothing since its reveal trailer, but it's a game from Itagaki, the man whio gave us some of the finest combat systems of all time with Ninja Gaiden (Black) and NG II. If he can do it again (and with MP to boot) it might even give Bayonetta 2 a run for its money. Speaking of which...

Bayonetta 2 ; Sequel to one of the best action games ever. What more needs to be said?

Super T.I.M.E. Force ; Sometimes a trailer says more than a thousand words.

Shovel Knight ; As above, a game that tips its hat to classic Capcom platformers. Again, just look at this thing.

The Order 1886 ; Some people want you to think AAA has little to offer, but last year proved different and with titles like The Witcher 3 and Dark Souls II on the horizon, that probably won't change this year. Why The Order? Because I love a good third person shooter and this has a good chance of being one, as Ready At Dawn has a great track record. That and it has one of the most interesting settings in a long time. Add soft body physics and all sorts of cinematic wizardry and this might do for the PS4 what Uncharted 2 did for the PS3.

Game of the Year
1. The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds
2. The Last of Us
3. Super Mario 3D World
4. The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD
5. Rogue Legacy
6. Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon
7. Ni No Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch
8. EDF 2017 (Vita release)
9. Beyond: Two Souls
10. Tomb Raider

Hall of Shame
1. Dead Space 3
2. Bioshock Infinite
3. Retro City Rampage

Surprise of the Year
1. Stealth Bastard Deluxe
2. Battleblock Theatre
3. Thomas Was Alone
4. Gunpoint
5. The Swapper

Most Wanted Game of 2014
1. Dark Souls 2
2. The Witness
3. Bayonetta 2
4. Watch Dogs
5. EDF 2025

Game of the Year
1. Super Mario 3D World
2. The Last of Us
3. The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds
4. Bioshock Infinite
5. Hotline Miami
6. Rayman Legends
7. Tomb Raider
8. Velocity Ultra
9. Tearaway
10. DmC

Most Wanted Game of 2014
1. DRIVECLUB
2. Dark Souls 2
3. Destiny
4. inFamous Second Son
5. Witcher 3

Game of the Year
1. DOTA 2
2. Resogun
3. Battlefield 4
4. Tomb Raider
5. The Last of Us
6. NBA 2K14
7. GTA V
8. Bioshock Infinite
9. Assassin's Creed 4: Black Flag
10. XCOM: Enemy Within

Hall of Shame
1. Microsoft
2. Battlefield 4 'launch' problems for consoles
3. Microtransactions
4. Pre-order bonuses
5. PS4 controllers having sticky shoulder buttons and peeling analogue sticks

Surprise of the Year
1. DOTA 2
2. Tomb Raider
3. Resogun
4. Sony seemingly getting everything right
5. How badly MS seem to be handling the Bone

Most Wanted Game of 2014
1. The Division
2. The Witcher 3
3. DRIVECLUB
4. The Order: 1886
5. No Man's Sky

Game of the Year
1. The Last of Us
2. Battlefield 4
3. NBA 2K14
4. DOTA 2
5. GTA V

6. Tomb Raider

7. Resogun
8. Guacamelee

9. Football Manager 2014

Hall of Shame
1. Xbox One Announcement and 180.
2. Battlefield 4 being broke on releaseand still probably is for consoles it seems.
3. Microtransactions
4. Microsoft fucking up everything they did good with the last generation.

Surprise of the Year
1. Guacamelee
2. DOTA 2 (First game of this ilk I played)
3. Sony bring their A game.

Most Wanted Game of 2014
1. The Division
2. Driveclub
3. Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain
4. WatchDogs
5. InFamous Second Son

Game of the Year

1.Super Mario 3D World

2.Legend of Zelda: Link Between Worlds

3.Persona 4: Golden

4.Saints Row IV

5.Disgaea D2

6.Batman: Arkham Origins

7.Ni No Kuni

8.Phoenix Wright: Dual Destinies

9.Lego City Undercover

10. NES Remix

Hall of Shame

1.rllmuk making fanboys everywhere seem measured and reasonable during the next gen run up.

2.Microsoft's DRM and subsequent backtrack from the backlash.

3.Microtransactions everywhere.

4.Vita sales

5.Wii U sales

Surprise of the Year

1.Mario 3D World being incredible after the E3 reveal.

2.NES Remix

Most Wanted Game of 2014

1.X

2.Dark Souls 2

3.South Park: The Stick of Truth

4.Bayonetta 2

5.Professor Layton vs Phoenix Wright

Game of the Year

1.The Last Of Us

2.Brothers: A Tale Of Two Sons

3.Spelunky

4.GTA V

5.Velocity Ultra

6.Crysis 3

7.Tearaway

8.Pixeljunk Monsters HD Ultimate

9.Splinter Cell Blacklist

10.Minecraft PS3

Hall of Shame

1.Microsoft

2.Don Mattrick

3.IAP/microtransactions

4.Nintendo

5.Phil Harrison

Surprise of the Year

1.Wii U dismal sales

2.PS4 and Xbox One mega sales

3.2DS

4.Don Mattrick dismissal ;)

5.Ouya actually launching

Most Wanted Game of 2014

1.Infamous Second Son

2.Dark Souls II

3.Minecraft Vita

4.Fez 2 please

5.Fez Vita pretty please

Game of the Year
1. GTA V
2. Flower (PS4 version)
3. Resogun
4. Brothers
5. Tomb Raider

Hall of Shame
1. The Xbox One debacle
2. EA's Sim City/BF4 launches
3. Microtransactions

Surprise of the Year
1. Knack
2. Sony's comeback

Most Wanted Game of 2014
1. The Order: 1886
2. Anything Mass Effect
3. Half Life 3
4. GTA singleplayer DLC

Putting this together made me realise just how few newly-released games I've played this year - my completed list consisted almost entirely of catch-ups from earlier this gen. Still, GTAV easily tops the list for me, mainly because it made me laugh a lot. Admittedly, most of the humour is puerile and childish, but compared to the 99% of games that take themselves ridiculously seriously, it was a welcome contrast.

And yes, Knack for surprise of the year. I had a huge amount of fun with this, after expecting it be a complete grind. As I said in the completed games thread, it's no classic, but it deserves recognition as a decent game, which it certainly hasn't had.

Game of the Year
1. Persona 4 Golden (Vita)
2. The Last Of Us (PS3)
3. Resogun (PS4)
4. Brothers: Tale Of Two Sons (PS3)
5. Tearaway (Vita)
6. Puppeteer (PS3)
7. Hotline Miami (Vita)
8. Spelunky (Vita)
9. Velocity Ultra (Vita)
10. DmC: Devil May Cry (PS3)

Hall of Shame
1. Microsoft and the handling of gaming in 2013
2. Slow sales of Vita
3. EA
4. Lack of DriveClub at PS4 Launch

Surprise of the Year
1. Tearaway
2. PS4
3. Ongoing PS+ Value and it coming to PS4 with free content
4. Brothers: Tale of Two Sons
5. Stick It To The Man
Most Wanted Game of 2014
1. DriveClub
2. Binding Of Issac (Vita)
3. Hotlime Miami 2
4. Dustforce
5. Borderlands 2 (Vita)

Every part of me wanted to put TLOU at top spot, but thinking back P4G won't only live in my memory for years to come, it consumed me for longer than any game has ever done before. I was drawn in and it never let go... I played for weeks and will go back and do it all again, as soon as I get the opportunity. TLOU is a wonderful experience and one that will also live with me, but it just wasn't P4G, maybe it was having it on hand at any time that made my time with it that slight bit more special.

Game of the Year

1. The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds (3DS)

2. Luigi's Mansion 2 (3DS)

3. Fez (PC)

4. Animal Crossing: New Leaf (3DS)

5. Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D (3DS)

6. Sonic the Hedgehog (iOS)

7. Lego Marvel Superheroes (PC)

8. The Stanley Parable Demo (PC)

9. Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed (PC)

10. 3D Sonic the Hedgehog (3DS)

Hall of Shame

1. No backwards compatibility in PS4/XB1

2. Lack of proper Nintendo account systems, still

3. My Origin account being hacked / Origin being terrible

4. Misogynous reactions to observations of misogyny in games

5. The Last Guardian no-show

Surprise of the Year

1. Steam Controller / Robot Owl

2. Nintendo's game deals/givaways

3. The Nintendo 2DS

4. Luigi's Mansion 2

Most Wanted Game of 2014

1. Grand Theft Auto V (PC)

2. Oculus Rift consumer version

3. No Man's Sky (PC)

4. Metal Gear Solid V (PC?)

5. Professor Layton vs. Phoenix Wright (3DS)

The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds (3DS)

I only started playing this in the new year, but it's already really great. Minimal story and handholding, and a lovely puzzly overworld to explore. The dungeons so far are fantastic, too. It's really brisk and never dull. The only complaint is how overfamiliar everything is, but it's like a perfected formula now, with its own twists.

Luigi's Mansion 2 (3DS)

This is by no means the second best game I played in 2013, but it's the second best eligible one. After being unimpressed by the Gamecube original, I was surprised how good this was. Just controlling Luigi as he wanders around the mansions is a joy in itself, and the game is full of cute touches and details. It's Nintendo does Resident Evil meets Ghostbusters, and it's lovely.

Fez (PC)

Again, this is one I've only just started playing recently and disvoered its eligibility as a 2013 port. Apparently, I picked it up in an indie bundle or something. It's a remarkably clever and tightly-knotted puzzle/exploration/platformer, which is probably too clever for me to ever 100% it without resorting to guides, but I'm going to try my best to give it a go.

Animal Crossing: New Leaf (3DS)

Straddles the line between work and play a little too much at times, but it's remained a regular go-to game since it came out in the Summer and I'm still finding new things in it. With all the fuss of friend codes and connectivity issues, I haven't bothered joining the 'community' this time, and to be honest, the appeal of Animal Crossing games wanes after your first one, but it's still been a pleasure. I hope to get a full year's worth of fun out of it, at least.

Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D (3DS)

Picked it up cheap to get in on one of the 'free' game deals. Glad I did. It's got some frustrating aspects, but it's a really solid-feeling platformer that rewards mastery of its weighty momentum.

Sonic the Hedgehog (iOS)

This 'Retro Engine' remake of the original is rebuilt in exacting detail, but allows for widescreen support and extra characters. Plus, they added new parts of the level for Knuckles/Tails to reach that weren't originally there, as well as time trials. The UI is nicely done, too. This would be the definitive version of Sonic 1 if they ported it to any system with physical buttons.

Lego Marvel Superheroes (PC)

Kept my attention for nearly 50 hours, despite some disappointments over the city hub and side missions. Not as good as Lego Batman 2: DC Superheroes, but really, I find all the Lego games to be various shades of "pretty good".

The Stanley Parable Demo (PC)

Can I even vote for a demo? I haven't played the full game because I haven't had the time, but the demo is apparently separate and I enjoyed it a lot on its own terms. Few games (or demos!) make me laugh or question what I'm actually doing, so anything that does will always have my attention. Eventually.

Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed (PC)

Bought cheap in a sale. Played a bit. Like it so far. Nothing more to add.

3D Sonic the Hedgehog (3DS)

Technically clever ROM-reworking virtual-console-emulating technology aside, it is Sonic 1... in 3D. Disappointingly bare-bones aside from that, but I bought it on release and it counts as new. That's it, there are literally no other 2013 games I've played. This is simply all ten of them, in order of preference.

Edited by Sprite Machine

Game of the Year

1. Grand Theft Auto V

2. Animal Crossing: New Leaf

3. Super Mario 3D World

4. Pokemon X&Y

5. Tomb Raider

Hall of Shame

1. Xbone

2. Micro transactions sneaking into £40 games

3. Microsoft

4. The Last of Us

5. Anyone who bought an Xbone

Most Wanted Game of 2014

1. Fallout 4

2. No Man's Sky

3. Metal Gear Solid V

4. X

5. Rime

Now, I dislike TLOU as much as the next man, but even I'm surprised at its inclusion in the hall of shame while a game even more guilty of what I'd perceive as its flaws (overemphasis on playable cut-scenes, a beautiful environment you've no chance to explore) makes it into the top 5. Any chance you'd like to describe just what TLOU got so wrong that Tomb Raider got right, Broker?

(That's not meant as some sort of attack, incidentally - I'm honestly curious)

Game of the Year

1. The Last of Us

2. Grand Theft Auto V

3. Metal Gear Solid: Revengeance

4. Fire Emblem Awakening

5. Super Mario World 3D

6. Ryse

7. Bioshock Infinite

8. The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds

9. Knack

10. Fuse

Hall of Shame

1. FIFA 14 (last gen version)

2. Killzone: Shadow Fall

3. Dead Space 3

4. Batman: Arkham Origins

5. Saints Row IV

Surprise of the Year

1. Re-buying a WiiU...

2. and a 3DS XL, purely for...

3. Fire Emblem Awakening. I don't normally 'do' Tactical RPGs, but I absolutely loved this

4. Microsoft announcing a raft of changes nobody wanted or asked for, and then...

5. Did a 180 on all of it.

Most Wanted Game of 2014

1. Titanfall

2. Destiny

3. The Order: 1886

4. Mario Kart 8

5. Bayonetta 2

And even if you don't like the game surely there are more Hall of Shameable things in 2013

Bioshock Infinite's still clinging onto my prospective list, so I can hardly throw aspersions in that direction ;)

Game of the Year

1. Battlefield 4 (multiplayer only although it's still broken 2 1/2 months later!)

2. GTA V

3. Dead Rising 3

4. Assassins Creed 4 Black Flag

5. Day Z standalone alpha (yeah it's barely a functional game but it's an interesting experience)

6. Forza 5

7. Tomb Raider

Not being able to come up with 3 more games says it all about 2013

Hall of Shame

1. Microsoft's crazy DRM concept

2. EA / Dice for the complete clusterfuck that is Battlefield 4

3. Nintendo for the way they have handled Wii U

4. Killzone Shadow Fall for being a pile of crap

5. Valve for not giving me Half-Life 3. Fuck you Gabe.

Surprise of the Year

1. The praise for the Last of Us. I don't understand why it's supposedly so good. It's yet another stealth game.

2. Dead Rising 3. Didn't like the earlier games. This new one is a technical marvel that is great fun.

3. The sales figures for PS4 and Xbox One being rather spectacular. Over 7 million consoles out there already.

4. Valve's Steambox controller. Would love to try one out.

5. The PS4 controller. To go from the lamentable Dualshock to that was startling.

Most Wanted Game of 2014

1. Half-Life 3

2. Titanfall

3. The Division

4. Destiny

5. Watch Dogs

Now, I dislike TLOU as much as the next man, but even I'm surprised at its inclusion in the hall of shame while a game even more guilty of what I'd perceive as its flaws (overemphasis on playable cut-scenes, a beautiful environment you've no chance to explore) makes it into the top 5. Any chance you'd like to describe just what TLOU got so wrong that Tomb Raider got right, Broker?

(That's not meant as some sort of attack, incidentally - I'm honestly curious)

It's very much my opinion but I guess for me the reason I was so disappointed in it is that I had such high expectations for it. I understand that most people got a wonderful experience that they were expecting but for me the weight of my expectations meant that I was much more disappointed than I would otherwise have been, in stark contrast to Tomb Raider which I went into expecting complete shit and found some redeeming features.

I've done this before, but my main issues were the long cutscenes which served the narrative much worse than the segments where the storytelling was integrated into the gameplay, the utterly terrible inventory management (massively diminished ammo capacity is not a lighter focus on gunplay) and the complete and painful linearity.

These are all smaller complaints, but what I really experienced was something akin to the uncanny valley, where the high production values would suck me in but then something stupid and gamey would drag me back out and overall it ruined the immersion completely. I found these completely believable characters living in a long corridor jarring, and that was made worse every time I found another stash of bullets that I couldn't carry for no reason other than the game trying to increase tension in what felt to me like a totally unnatural way. I felt the same about Ellie constantly thundering in front of enemies during stealth sections, or the glitches I saw in melee combat, or the twenty minutes I spent trying to kill a guard with a machine gun early on only to find that I couldn't take it from him.

These are all things that other games do without any complaints from me, but I expected something utterly stellar from the hype/reviews/responses on here and what I felt I got was Uncharted with a better story but a thousand problems, including almost all the problems I had with Uncharted, especially stuff that looks like amazing gameplay happening in fucking cutscenes. The fact that nobody agreed and everyone acted like I was insane every time I criticised it soured me to it more.

These are all things that other games do without any complaints from me, but I expected something utterly stellar from the hype/reviews/responses on here and what I felt I got was Uncharted with a better story but a thousand problems, including almost all the problems I had with Uncharted, especially stuff that looks like amazing gameplay happening in fucking cutscenes.

So almost exactly like Tomb Raider then? Unless you count QTE's as gameplay. :P