IGNORED

True Detective - Season 1 (Woody Harrelson+Matthew McConaughey+HBO)

Harsin

1VX3GYY.jpg

In 2012, Louisiana State Police Detectives Rust Cohle and Martin Hart are brought in to revisit a homicide case they worked in 1995. As the inquiry unfolds in present day through separate interrogations, the two former detectives narrate the story of their investigation, reopening unhealed wounds, and drawing into question their supposed solving of a bizarre ritualistic murder in 1995. The timelines braid and converge in 2012 as each man is pulled back into a world they believed they'd left behind. In learning about each other and their killer, it becomes clear that darkness lives on both sides of the law.

Starts tonight on HBO. Critics across the pond are raving about it. Apparently, if successful enough, the series will have an anthology format switching up setting and characters each season, akin to American Horror Story.

Looks like this one is going to be a slow burn. Incredibly atmospheric with some really nice cinematography and good performances by both leads.

It's going to be interesting to see what transforms Matthew McConaughey's character to what he's like in 2012.

I'm guessing Woody Harrelson is having it away with that girl who came into the station.

Also, Clarke Peters out of nowhere.

He's like a secret weapon of acting. Flying under the radar, kind of unconsidered as an actor (I guess those bongos are hard to live down) but then you realise he's good or great in absolutely everything you've seen him in - even the silly rom-coms.

This was a tremendous opener. Very interested to see what happens next.

Two things of note: I find it interesting that the leads are the opposite way around to what I'd expect -- if you'd outlined the cast and characters, I'd have guessed Harrelson for the intense loner and McConaughey for the normal guy. It works though, it really does.

Second, whatever voodoo trickery is going on with the aging and de-aging of the leads in the 1995/2012 footage is totally convincing. I had no idea that was McConaughey at first in the 2012 footage.

He's like a secret weapon of acting. Flying under the radar, kind of unconsidered as an actor (I guess those bongos are hard to live down) but then you realise he's good or great in absolutely everything you've seen him in - even the silly rom-coms.

I'm not sure if this is still the case (the first bit). He's garnered a massive amount of respect, noms and buzz for his recent career turnaround. Someone even coined the pun "McConaisance" to describe his comeback.

Maybe he made so much from terrible films with Kate Hudson that now he has enough for all the bongos and weed he needs and can kick back and just perform in whatever appeals to him.

He wasn't even that terrible in those films either. I've always liked the guy, though in my family we can't help but laugh everytime he whips his top off, but it's nice to see him showing those acting chops even more now.

This could be seen to be a bit flowery but hey we have to keep the thread alive, so here goes :

On extremely rare occasions a TV series comes along that throws out the rule book and pulls the rung from under your feet, insisting in shaking you out of your lethargic zombie state, True Detective is that TV series.

The first episode was totally gripping from start to finish, very gritty and breathtakingly mesmerising. HBO have done it again, this has hit written all over it. Special mention just has to go to Matthew McConaughey, slipping into awful X factor speech, he owned the scenes when the camera was on him, such an eccentric enigma of a character with alluring. dark brooding traits.

Do yourself a favour, watch this show.