rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
Harsin

True Detective - Season 1 (Woody Harrelson+Matthew McConaughey+HBO)

Watched this tonight, thought it was absolutely stellar. The acting was brilliant and the Louisiana atmosphere was almost hypnotic.

Only just got round to watching that opening episode this evening and couldn't draw my attention away from it. I wouldn't say I "enjoyed" it, as I'm not sure it was supposed to be enjoyable as such but I'm definitely itching for more

Episode two was excellent, too.

Not only, but largely due to to Alexandra Daddario's bum, tits, bush, and face. In that order.

4Rx8DWN.jpg

:wub:

• Upvote 5

Really liked the visuals in this bit

ibcyHssmSE7rhq.gif

I don't feel like I'm particularly entertained by the show but at the same time I can't take my eyes off it. It might be better to watch it all in one go once the series has finished however I can't help myself. McConaughey is a revelation to me, I haven't seen any of his recent films so he's basically gone from Failure to Launch to this. Staggering.

• Upvote 2

His acceptance speech at the recent SAG Awards was pretty funny, all it needed was cuts to Woody Harrelson pulling a face and he could have been in character as Rust.

Episode two was excellent, too.

Not only, but largely due to to Alexandra Daddario's bum, tits, bush, and face. In that order.

4Rx8DWN.jpg

:wub:

I remember when I saw her in Texas Chainsaw 3D. Shit film, but she looked stunning.

My reaction on seeing her strip in episode 2...

Like others have said, this is really enjoyable viewing and great TV for bedtime. The characters are fantastic and I can't wait to see where it goes.

Also, best breasts.

Yep, absolutely brilliant this is; superbly acted, beautifully shot and Rust makes for such a compelling yet thoroughly depressing character.

That line in episode two in particular:

"My daughter spared me the sin of being a father"

I found that pretty fucking heavy. :(

Also, Clarke Peters should be in everything.

Sky Atlantic Premiere is February 22nd at 9pm. Been looking forward to this ever since Robert Crais (fantastic Crime author) started raving about it.

Superb stuff. Such an oppressive atmosphere throughout, which means it's hard to recommend as an 'enjoyable' watch as somebody mentioned earlier, but it's got me gripped.

This is the line that delivered for me:

“If you’ve got some self-loathing to do this morning, that’s fine. But it ain’t worth losing your hands over."

Possibly the best HBO boobs since Nicky Sobotka's missus in Season 2 of The Wire.

I thought this was the first false note of the show. The scene in question smacked of the old 'Hey, we're not on network tv - let's show some boobies !!!!' routine that afflicted early Game of Thrones. The brief glance that Harrelson's character gave in episode one was far more effective in showing this side of his character. It was cheap and lazy; especially so considering the quality of the show so far.

• Upvote 1

McConaughey is one of the actors I absolutely can't stand, aside from Amistad and A Time to Kill, I'll go out of my way not to watch stuff he's in.

He's utterly majestic in this. I also like how Harrelson isn't just some straight edge cop playing off him and Monaghan isn't just the typical screaming jilted wife.

• Upvote 1

Everything he's done for the past 2-3 years has been mesmerising. Killer Joe, Mud, Dallas Buyers Club, Wolf of Wall Street.

• Upvote 5

Absolutely fantastic. Don't think Michelle Monaghan is getting enough love, been a favourite with me since Kiss Kiss Bang Bang.

Seriously though, best new series I've seen since Tremé probably. Love the swamps me.

kiss_kiss_bang_bang%20Michelle%20Monagha

The only trouble with Michelle Monaghan (and lordcookie spoilt this for me if I remember correctly), is that she looks like...

Michael Jackson.

Seriously, don't click that spoiler or you won't be able to unsee it.

Is it worrying that I relate 100% to Rust's worldview thus far?

I'm glad it's not just me because I've never really rated McConaughey, but his character in this is so understated, yet he makes him feel so complex, it's brilliant.

From episode one where he said "I don't sleep, I dream", that's basically my life!