rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
Harsin

True Detective - Season 1 (Woody Harrelson+Matthew McConaughey+HBO)

Fucking hell those last 15 minutes were intense.

My only problem with the show (which is kind of a big one really) is the fact that I can barely hear what they're saying half the time. It's probably due to a combination of their accents (lack of any proper pronunciation) and my surround set which makes it even more muffled.

I've never had this happen to me before and I hope it won't diminish any the overall quality this show has. It's definitely one to get on BD and enable subs lol. For me at least.

• Upvote 2

I've been really impressed with the direction as a whole. Same guy has done every episode so far. Might have to research him, see what else he's done.

There are some cleverly masked edits, but it's hugely impressive nonetheless.

Nope, they did film it in such a way that there were several points they could have spliced together takes as a contingency plan, but what ended up on screen was one take.

• Upvote 3

Apparently it was a genuine six minute single shot. The director put in a few options for edits if it didn't work out, but it did work and the shot on screen is one take. I would post a link with the story of how they did it but for some reason this forum has stopped letting me paste anything in!

Matthew McConaughey is incredible in this. The drunk scenes with Woody Harrelson were amazing, and everything he did with the biker gang was just fucking stunning.

I think he's my favourite actor now. Never seen anyone on such a roll before. He's must have had a serious epiphany with the Lincoln Lawyer and been "Oh to THAT'S how you are supposed to act!".

• Upvote 2

He said pretty much that on Chris Evans Radio 2 show last week. Said he went 18 months without a single offer, long enough for him to almost shed his typecast, and then he became someone's idea of alternative casting.

This might be of interest for anyone wanting to know more about The King in Yellow/Carcosa:

http://kinginyellow.wikia.com/wiki/Have_You_Seen_The_Yellow_Sign%3F

Carcosa being "Some place down south":

Chambers set TKiY stories mostly in France. The Louisiana Bayou is about as French as the US gets.

Carcosa is a city on a lake. If you're in LA, and you hear talk about a city on/by the water, you're going to assume it's in the south of the state near the gulf.

The poem from Dori's journal:

Along the shore the cloud waves break, The twin suns sink behind the lake, The shadows lengthen In Carcosa. Strange is the night where black stars rise, And strange moons circle through the skies, But stranger still is Lost Carcosa. Songs that the Hyades shall sing, Where flap the tatters of the King, Must die unheard in Dim Carcosa. Song of my soul, my voice is dead, Die thou, unsung, as tears unshed Shall dry and die in Lost Carcosa. —"Cassilda's Song" in The King in Yellow Act 1, Scene 2

I have some thoughts about Rust now

I think he is involved with the cult. I don't know yet whether he is trying to undermine them, or is working for them still. He was effectively blackmailed into going deep undercover for four years- we're told this is way longer than any UC agent ever does. I think he has been made to work for whichever powerful men are in control of that cult in East Texas/Louisiana. He just *happened* to have ties to the biker gang that is the sole employer of the meth cook who's the one link they have to the cult murders. Maybe he is trying to find the cook for the ones who still control him. Pinning the murders on a patsy may ultimately be part of the task, the other being to procure the meth cook for the cult directly.

It might still be that he is working to foil the cult, but I am sure that he has prior dealings with them. That the murders resume later doesn't mean they got the wrong guy in the 90s- cults being cults, the sacrifices can start again with different agents.

Also, Rev Tuttle is in it all up to his neck, I'm sure.

I've been really impressed with the direction as a whole. Same guy has done every episode so far. Might have to research him, see what else he's done.

Its directed by Cary Fukunaga who according to Stephen King is currently working on an adaptation of IT! He cant possibly do a worse job than the original movie did, and if True Detective is anything to go by it could end up being amazing.

Ive just finished episode 3 and 4s extracting for me just now - that ending monologue leading up to that freeze frame followed by those thunderous and dark war drums - this show's just turned from fascinating to fucking awesome.

• Upvote 1

Nothing about episode 5 yet? Well I'll weigh in...

I can't believe that they seem to fit so much into an episode of this. After last week's finale which totally blew me away, the way in which this continues at a pace and seemingly concludes the Ledoux investigation with a bullet to the head had me wondering where it was going (and what the hell it was going to fill the rest of the time with on the way there). I loved the way the stories began to diverge from reality and how the pay-off of the mystery behind the modern day investigation started to give way to the truth behind their split paths and current circumstances. My heart is saying that Cohle can't be behind it but that final lingering shot in the school makes me wonder if we was investigating the sculptures or admiring them.

Absolutely unmissable TV.

• Upvote 3

Bosnian Rainbows track at the end fit it well.

Really want to read the Yellow King now but thinking it might make me shit myself.

Anyone getting a Dark Tower vibe off of this too?

The most obvious thing this episode brought to me was a possible reconsideration of the title. Not suggesting a detective (or detectives) that are a pure breed of the profession, but rather an ironic comment on their capacity for truth.

• Upvote 1

Can't wait to see where it goes from here. So damn good. A new season will have a lot to live up to.

The most obvious thing this episode brought to me was a possible reconsideration of the title. Not suggesting a detective (or detectives) that are a pure breed of the profession, but rather an ironic comment on their capacity for truth.

yes, someone earlier in thread said one of the detectives was an unreliable narrator.

How about both?

A new season will have a lot to live up to.

I was under the impression it's an 8 part mini-series, and that's ya lot. :/

Good grief that was intense. This really is the best looking show since Breaking Bad, the colours, the framing, the lighting - all top class.

This was my favourtie shot from the new episode but there could have been 10 more.

post-1425-0-32365000-1392672108_thumb.gi

• Upvote 2