IGNORED

Quentin Tarantino's The Hateful Eight

Goose

Tarantino recently said his next film would be another western, and now the title has been revealed as The Hateful Eight. Little else is known at the moment but he was written a part specifically for Christophe Waltz and is also hoping that Bruce Dern will join the cast. Shooting is set to begin sometime in summer 2014.

[info from comingsoon.net]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=u5ck9Ci0zN4

• 2 weeks later...

On indefinite hold due to a script leak - From Comingsoon

The film's title revealed earlier this month, Quentin Tarantino's planned Western, The Hateful Eight, is now on indefinite hold following a script leak in Hollywood. A decidedly upset Tarantino today tells Deadline that he will move forward with another screenplay and that the script for The Hateful Eight will, for the time being, see publication instead.

"I'm not making this next," Tarantino says. "I'm going to publish it, and that's it for now. I give it out to six people and, if I can't trust them to that degree, then I have no desire to make it. I'll publish it. I'm done. I'll move on to the next thing. I've got ten more where that came from."

In fact, Tarantino seems to already know what will take The Hateful Eight's place on his schedule.

"The idea was, I was going to write two scripts," he explains of the Western's origins. "I wasn't going to shoot the Western until next winter and I have been full of piss and vinegar about the other one. So now I'll do that one.”

Among the actors said to have been sent copies of The Hateful Eight are Bruce Dern, Michael Madsen and Tim Roth. Tarantino also implies that parts had been written for both Christoph Waltz and Samuel L. Jackson, but that neither talent had yet been sent the screenplay.

He put an otherwise disposable character in Django Unchained for Zoe Bell, so that suggested at least one more western.

Her brief appearance in Django never really struck me as leading to something more. If that was his plan I still think he would have made something else before returning to the Western genre.

Plot details.

The script is an ensemble Western with obvious parts for Madsen and Dern, as well as Tarantino stalwarts like Samuel L. Jackson and Christoph Waltz. Jackson and Madsen would likely both play bounty hunters returning human plunder to a town called Red Rock in exchange for hefty rewards. Their characters, a former major in the Union army and a man named John Ruth, dominate the first two of the script’s five chapters.

They run into a Southerner named Chris Mannix on the road, and three of them, along with their driver — a living prisoner and three dead bounties strapped to the roof — arrive at a haberdashery to take shelter from an oncoming blizzard. Yet the proprietors, Minnie, Sweet Dave and her other colleagues, are nowhere to be found. In their place are four men, a Southern general (likely Dern), an alleged hangman, a Frenchman named Bob and a cowboy named Joe Gage.

Mistrust, coffee and violence ensue.

And a (crossed out) script page.

vevawevano_large.png

http://www.thewrap.com/quentin-tarantino-script-leaks-going-shoot-new-movie-70mm/

• 2 weeks later...

Adding further insult to injury, Tarantino's list of songs that he wanted to have for the film has also been leaked.

Some very strange choices on there (a Lostprophets song?!) alongside some stone cold classics that it would have been cool to see how he appropriated ('The Ecstasy of the Gold').

1jD3vzM.png

EDIT: And here it is in youtube form, presented in order.

http://www.youtube.com/embed/videoseries?list=PLDVUo0d8uHhdtO7Y7Jna6azjyKVpbl7lC

Yeah but when was Tarantino ever subtle.

He just loves Morriconne and wants to put those anthems all over his films.

Personally, I don't think there is any way that Tarantino could have used 'The Ecstasy of the Gold' successfully, especially not in that script; it's so intrinsically tied to 'The Good, The Bad & The Ugly' and fits SO PERFECTLY that anything he'd have done would have been plain in comparison.

• 2 months later...

So this may not be quite as dead as first supposed. Tarantino had a live celebrity read through the other night, featuring Samuel L Jackson, Kurt Russell, Michael Madsen, Tim Roth, Bruce Dern and Amber Tamberlyn. The director stated that this will be the only time this first draft will get a performance, and that he plans to work on a second and third draft, with new sequences not featured in the original version.

I would imagine if he's continuing to work on it, that at some point it will see the light of day. He's set to go to court against the Gawker website next year in relation to them leaking the script online.

Info from the BBC.

Edit: Removed plot points as they're covered in posts above.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

This now once again Tarantino's next film, with shooting set to commence in November. The cast of the recent read through are expected to take on the roles they played for the movie version.

Yup.

http://collider.com/the-hateful-eight-filming-cast

Per Showbiz 411, Quentin Tarantino’s The Hateful Eight will begin production this November in Wyoming. The report adds that all of the actors who participated in the recent live read of the script—Dern, Samuel L. Jackson, Michael Madsen, Kurt Russell, James Remar, Amber Tamblyn, Walton Goggins, and Zoe Bell—will star in the film, but sadly Christoph Waltz will not be a part of the cast. Tim Roth also participated in the live read, but he is not mentioned in this report. It may simply be an oversight or maybe he’s just not in the film; it’s unclear.
Read more at http://collider.com/the-hateful-eight-filming-cast/#F1AGJfL0qUbBlWyy.99

Excellent news.

• 2 months later...

* His eighth if you ignore the unreleased amateur film and his Four Rooms segment (a reasonable thing to do!), and count the Kill Bills as one film (debatable!).

And nice to see confirmation that it'll be shot in 70mm.

Not really keen on the title, if I'm honest. I know it's a spin on The Magnificent Seven, but when I think of some of the great titles for old spaghetti westerns, like for example, Death Rides a Horse and A Bullet for the General, this feels like Tarantino's not really trying. I'm sure the film itself will be ace though.