Quentin Tarantino's The Hateful Eight

Goose

Yeah, exactly that.

What’s going on with that is originally back when Kill Bill was going to be one movie, I wrote an even longer anime sequence. So you see in the movie [O-Ren] kill her boss but then there was that long hair guy… The big sequence was her fighting that guy. I.G. [The Japanese Anime Studio] who did Ghost in the Shell said we can’t do that and finish it in time for your thing. And [plus] you can’t have a thirty-minute piece in your movie. I said okay. It was my favorite part but it was the part you could drop. So we dropped it and then later when I.G. heard we were talking about doing Kill Bill: The Whole Bloody Affair — they still had the script so without even being commissioned, they just did it and paid for it themselves. It’s really terrific. Anyway, The Weinstein Company and myself were talking about actually coming out with it sometime, not before the year is out, but within the next year with limited theatrical engagement as well.

http://www.slashfilm.com/kill-bill-the-whole-bloody-affair-limited-release/

• 4 weeks later...

Becoming increasingly upset that I caved and read the script when it leaked way back when.

I think it's going to be one of his best.

I thought it was one of his worst. I know that casting the right actors and what not can do wonders for a script and that Tarantino's in particular can really pop on screen but I felt the whole thing was very rote and predictable. It seemed to me like he really, really loved the bar scene from 'Inglorious Basterds' and wanted to make a whole movie about it.

Must admit I'm a bit of a Tarantino fanboy, and sure the screenplay by itself probably wouldn't win any awards, but I really enjoyed it all the same. It might sound a bit weird, but the cast was more or less in place when I read it (or they did a public readthrough in LA or something), so I was sort of able to picture the actors saying the lines, and it seems fairly clear that he's written certain parts with those actors in mind.

The comparison with the Basterds bar scene is a good one - will get unbearably tense at times. I didn't think anything about it was predictable, but as I say, I was reading with a fanboy head on, rather than a more critical one.

Once you add another scorching soundtrack, and all the usual cool shots, and homages, I think we're looking at something at least the equal of Django Unchained.

I'm sure it will be a very well made and entertaining film, most of his are; I'm just not thrilled about it because (on paper at least) it seems like a mish-mash of ground he's already covered.

I'd rather he left the Old West alone and tackled the Bond-style film he's been muttering about for an age.

• 2 months later...

Cast announced - From Comingsoon.net

The Weinstein Company today revealed the full official cast for Academy Award-winning writer/director Quentin Tarantino's upcoming post-Civil War western, The Hateful Eight. The Hateful Eight are: Academy Award-nominee Samuel L. Jackson (Django Unchained) as Major Marquis Warren, Golden Globe-nominee Kurt Russell (Escape From New York) as John "The Hangman" Ruth, Golden Globe-nominee Jennifer Jason Leigh (Mrs. Parker and the Vicious Circle) as Daisy Domergue, Emmy-nominee Walton Goggins ("Justified") as Chris Mannix, Academy Award-nominee Demian Bichir (A Better Life) as Bob, Academy Award-nominee Tim Roth (Reservoir Dogs) as Oswaldo Mobray, Michael Madsen (Reservoir Dogs) as Joe Gage and Academy Award-nominee Bruce Dern (Nebraska) General Sanford Smithers. Also, Channing Tatum (Foxcatcher) has signed on for a role in the project. This will be Leigh, Bichir and Tatum's first film with Tarantino, while the rest of the cast has worked with him in the past.

• 5 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Tarantino just confirmed that Ennio Morricone will be providing the score for the movie - his first western score in 40 years!

That's great, really looking forward to this, it's good that Morricone's changed his tune on Tarantino too.

“I wouldn’t like to work with him again, on anything,” Morricone told students in a music, film and television class at Rome’s LUISS University, according to Italian media reports Friday. “He said last year he wanted to work with me again ever since Inglourious Basterds, but I told him I couldn't, because he didn’t give me enough time. So he just used a song I had written previously.”

Tarantino is frustrating to work with, Morricone said, observing that the two-time Oscar winner “places music in his films without coherence" and "you can't do anything with someone like that."

Morricone said he saw Django Unchained but was not impressed: "To tell the truth, I didn't care for it," he said. "Too much blood."

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/italian-composer-morricone-slams-tarantino-428954

• 1 month later...

Trailer. Says it's a teaser trailer, but it's pretty much just a trailer. Looking good too, for me Reservoir Dogs is still his best- put a bunch of people in a room and have them fall apart against each other- this seems to be heading down the same lines.

Very excited for this. I do wish that it looked a bit more stylistically different from Django though. I like that Tarantino's films all have a pretty unique visual style to them, but this could easily be confused for a Django sequel, especially as it's his direct follow up.