IGNORED

Quentin Tarantino's The Hateful Eight

Goose

Trailer. Says it's a teaser trailer, but it's pretty much just a trailer. Looking good too, for me Reservoir Dogs is still his best- put a bunch of people in a room and have them fall apart against each other- this seems to be heading down the same lines.

I don't understand the point in shooting it in 70mm, if the majority of the film takes part in a single room.

A) Because he's a big nerd that would probably film in 70mm whenever he could and B) there's also a lot of subtleties in the acting that can be captured (the same goes for The Master, also shot in 70mm). And the trailer (oh sorry, teaser) features also quite a lot of wider shots.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

In response to my former self, apparently no, they're very unlikely to get it. A real shame. Maybe Edinburgh Filmhouse will. One of them surely has to as the only two 70mm cinemas in Scotland?

Also, one of the first screenings of the film from 70mm was a mess. This is a nice piece: http://www.hitfix.com/motion-captured/what-one-bad-screening-of-the-hateful-eight-means-for-the-future-of-film

• 2 weeks later...

Disney being arseholes and Tarantino not too pleased about it.

Quentin Tarantino went on the Howard Stern SiriusXM radio show and spoke about how Disney is strong-arming Arclight Cinemas to push the directors 70MM presentation of his eighth film The Hateful Eight aside in favor of Star Wars: The Force Awakens in LAs famed Cinemarama Dome. The director first learned about this on Monday. The western was originally due to play there, claims Tarantino, starting on Dec. 25th, but now Force Awakens is getting an extended play through the holidays.

It was real bad news and it fucking pissed me off, Tarantino told Stern. They are going out of their way to fuck me.

All per Tarantino: when ArcLight Cinemas told Disney they were honoring their contract for Hateful Eight, Disney threatened to pull Force Awakens from all ArcLight locations.

Living here in L.A., The Cinerama Dome is a prized venue for Tarantino. In fact the Cinerama logo appears in the opening credits of The Hateful Eight. The premiere for the film was held on Monday, Dec. 7 at the Cinerama Dome and the director told Deadlines Pete Hammond, I made The Hateful Eight for the DomeThis is the first time seeing it at the Dome for me too, and it was like I hadnt even seen it before, not like this.

Its vindictive, its mean, and its extortion, Tarantino added. The Oscar-winning fimmaker further added that his beef isnt with Force Awakens director J.J. Abrams, but with the top suits at Disney. In fact, Abrams worked with Tarantino when the director starred as McKenas Cole on Abrams ABC show Alias. I made a lot of money for the Disney corporation, Tarantino told Stern referring to the days when Disney owned Miramax and released such titles as Pulp Fiction ($213.9M worldwide) and the Kill Bill two pic saga (combined $333M worldwide) as well as Jackie Brown ($40M domestic).

http://deadline.com/2015/12/the-hate...ht-1201668018/

I would have more sympathy if it wasn't for the fact there's only a single 70mm print coming to the UK apparently. Plenty of venues outside London that have the facilities and aren't going to get to show it until much later.

The GFT aren't even showing Star Wars, so would be the perfect spot for the the film :(.

Downloading now as I cant resist. If its as good as I hope it is, then I'll definitely see it at the cinema as well.

Its hard to have any sympathy for the studios when they send out screeners in desperation for award recognition before the films even come out.

Yeah it's a bit too pixely on my HD tv , so much so I can hear Tarrantino yelling in my ear. I'd happy pay 10quid etc for a high quality download on release but yeah I feel like I've been saying this forever, won't happen. Some films have done this and they fail hard.

I find the whole prospect of someone downloading pirate copies, just because they can't wait a couple of weeks to see it on its official release, perplexing. Especially if it's a film like this, where the creators have made a big deal of wanting to present it in as capital-C Cinematic a way as possible.

Does no-one appreciate delayed gratification any more? :(

Well I had a great night watching it in the comfort of my own home with a good bottle of wine. Happy to report that the film is utterly superb, so will definately be watching it again in the cinema, and no doubt buy the blu ray when available. More than happy to watch films in different ways these days.