Quentin Tarantino's The Hateful Eight

Goose

A thoroughly excellent and very tense film. Reminded of Reservoir Dogs... Could see it working really well as a stage play. Even the Mrs loved it!

Re: watching it as the director envisioned... Can't see it myself.... Apart from a couple of scenes (10 mins worth in total) the rest would be like watching Bonanza at the flicks... You could watch the film on a 14" grundig and it would still be as enjoyable!

I really enjoyed this too - its not an easy watch, particularly the first half which felt like 90mins or so of the first scene from Inglorious Basterds with the people in the basement - the tension is ramped up so high I almost felt claustrophobic. Its classic Tarantino dialled up to 11

Thought Jennifer Jason Leigh was excellent

Turns out the leaked copy belonged to producer Andrew Kosave or was at least sent to his office. He claims to have not seen it and says the disc was signed for by an assistant.

(Kosave is producing the Point Break remake which I think opens tomorrow in the US.)

Brilliant film. Up there with his best for me.

Was that The Thing music being played at one point? In fact a lot of the film reminded me of it. I'd love to read what his influences were for it.

Brilliant film. Up there with his best for me.

Was that The Thing music being played at one point? In fact a lot of the film reminded me of it. I'd love to read what his influences were for it.

This is a good read on the influences for the film and the parallels with The Thing. I only read part of it because I haven't seen the film and it felt like it was moving towards spoilers.

Has this basically spoiled the entire premise of this film? as I know nothing about it except it's some Western.

No it hasn't, but I've put my post in spoilers just in case. You might want to do the same with your quote.

The article Silent Runner posted is really good and has confirmed what I thought.

Well I wasn't literally expecting a Western-themed film to actually be a front for a Sci-Fi film, but The Thing reference put certain expectations of where it goes into my mind.

There's actually a line from The Thing in the Hateful 8 trailer, where Kurt says 'One of these fellas is not what he appears to be'. So I don't think QT is trying to conceal the fact he was heavily influenced by it.

Now I've gone and mentioned it again! Do you want me to put this in spoiler tags too?

I really enjoyed this too - its not an easy watch, particularly the first half which felt like 90mins or so of the first scene from Inglorious Basterds with the people in the basement - the tension is ramped up so high I almost felt claustrophobic. Its classic Tarantino dialled up to 11

Thought Jennifer Jason Leigh was excellent

If anything, I prefered the start of it to the end, there definitely seemed to be a point around midway through Chapter 4 where it went off the boil for me, but then it picked back up.

I enjoyed the film but didn't really like how it all ended, was hoping for some after credits scene or something, but spent the whole film second guessing everything, and getting it entirely wrong :P

Great film, it can't cost that much to make?

Even films with very few locations apparently aren't cheap to make these days, it was budgeted at $44 Million for filming, other costs on top. Harvey Weinstein probably gonna spend a packet on trying to win some awards for it, he does like to go for it during Oscar season if he thinks he has a winner, though he does have other films to put effort into which might be more Oscar winning.

Even films with very few locations apparently aren't cheap to make these days, it was budgeted at $44 Million for filming, other costs on top. Harvey Weinstein probably gonna spend a packet on trying to win some awards for it, he does like to go for it during Oscar season if he thinks he has a winner, though he does have other films to put effort into which might be more Oscar winning.

You could easily make this film for $2m and the only thing different on screen would be the actors and the 70mm depth of image. Film making at this level is expensive because people at this level won't work, eat or sleep cheap. They feel they've earned a wedge and a bit of respect (and of course, they have). At this level though, the money doesn't end up on the screen at all.

This is not to take anything away from QT for making unique films. We need many more like him.

Well that was bloody brilliant, after totally not liking the first hour (think in my mind I wanted more django) it settled into a great movie and like someone else above said I now wasn't to watch it again straight away. Another brilliant performance from SLJ.

I love how Tarantino can just switch styles Midway through movies, I mean more in terms of the tone rather than themes, so don't see that as a spoiler.