Quentin Tarantino's The Hateful Eight

Goose

Also be interested to know how long it took film, especially just the cabin part.

Everything takes way longer and requires way more crew than you'd expect it to when you do it at a high level:

Shooting is scheduled to begin in December through January for 49 days. The production will build interiors and exteriors on the ranch and will film the entire movie there. Even though Tarantino’s shooting permit begins on December 8, the production has already started preparing for the project this month. After all, they have an entire homestead to build for the movie. During the prep and filming stages, the crew will stay in Telluride which in turn will help boost the city's economy.

Colorado’s generous film incentive package which includes a 20% cash rebate program definitely helped tip the scale to its favor. With a budget of $44 million, The Hateful Eight’s budget for Colorado is approximately $15.7 million. As part of the agreement, the production promises to hire 168 Colorado crew and to spend at least $9.35 million in Colorado for other film-related expenses (such as lodging for example).

With this substantial budget, Tarantino’s The Hateful Eight will be the biggest production to come to Colorado since True Grit was filmed there in 1969. "The whole movie's going to be shot here, exteriors and interiors," said Colorado film commissioner Donald Zuckerman. "They're going to build it on a ranch."

It turns out, they actually went over budget by $10 Million due to weather problems:

The delay caused the crew to spend about $10 million more than initially budgeted, said Colorado's film commissioner, Donald Zuckerman, whose 3-year-old film incentive program provides a 20 percent cash rebate for cinematic production spending in the state.

"They told me they were over budget $10 million, largely due to the lack of snow," said Zuckerman, adding that the additional spending is not eligible for a rebate. "That's good news for us. We get more bang for our buck."

The movie's accountants should be providing a detailed list of the production crew's spending in Telluride in the next few weeks. Those numbers will support the estimated $5 million rebate approved by the state and based on budgeted production costs. The initial budget includes "The Hateful Eight" crew earning about $15.7 million and spending about $9.35 million for lodging and dining in Telluride and Mountain Village.

http://www.denverpost.com/business/ci_28080519/hateful-eight-movie-already-blockbuster-telluride-registers

Ugh, nowhere is showing this. Cinemas would rather have 9 screens showing star wars than 8 it seems. Looking more likely that I'll just end up watching the screener now. Talking of screeners, why are all these leaks dvd screeners? If you're sending out your movie for award nominations surely you'd put out blu ray discs? If an awards organisation can't afford a bluray player (They could even buy a PS3 for $50 now) then they are a bit rubbish?

For the same reason Mark Kermode still has a section called DVD of the week, the average voter hasn't upgraded to 1080p playback, just like the general public haven't, despite it being available widely for nearly a decade now.

Pretty sure that even up to a few years ago, some people were still having to make VHS copies of films for some Oscar voters, now that is taking the piss in terms of late adoption.

For the same reason Mark Kermode still has a section called DVD of the week, the average voter hasn't upgraded to 1080p playback, just like the general public haven't, despite it being available widely for nearly a decade now.

Pretty sure that even up to a few years ago, some people were still having to make VHS copies of films for some Oscar voters, now that is taking the piss in terms of late adoption.

Are you saying film studios use DVDs for screeners in consideration for the people who steal it from the internet who haven't got any kind of device capable of 720p?

Assuming that was a straight question, no. I'm saying promotional copies meant for voters are sent out on DVD because much like the general public, the average voter apparently doesn't care enough to demand 1080p quality and will settle for standard definition on their big flat screen 1080p-capable telly. They do also make available review copies online digitally these days to voters but no mention of what the quality is like for those.

I was watching some broadcast TV while visiting relatives recently, it was E4 in standard definition on a 1080p flat panel, I rest my case.

Ugh, nowhere is showing this. Cinemas would rather have 9 screens showing star wars than 8 it seems. Looking more likely that I'll just end up watching the screener now. Talking of screeners, why are all these leaks dvd screeners? If you're sending out your movie for award nominations surely you'd put out blu ray discs? If an awards organisation can't afford a bluray player (They could even buy a PS3 for $50 now) then they are a bit rubbish?

It's because DVD's are cheaper, and because they know the films will leak, so they want inferior copies out there.

Apparently a certain contingent of the voters don't want to go full online streaming (which should be more secure) as they want the ability to have a hard copy for their personal collection and want to pass it around to their mates, even though that is against the rules. Clearly an enforcement problem which even the MPAA can't force through as they wanted to outlaw DVD screeners over a decade ago but had to legally back down after indie film makers sued them over it.

I've often wondered why they still do it and I wonder how much it damages a film in the long run. Taking The Hateful 8, the screener copy leaked before the film has opened (or opened on more than 100 screens). While I imagine there are people who watched it who would never have gone to see it at the cinema, there must surely be a fair few who were either on the fence or simply decided that they had planned on seeing it on the big screen, but now won't have to bother.

Given the hard line Hollywood studios take on piracy, you'd think they'd try and reign this in more. This year seems particularly bad for screener leaks. Of the major (and limited releases) it seems only The Force Awakens and Anomalisa are yet to end up online (obviously there are others).

What kind of people are these Oscar voters if they're that disinterested in films that they won't even buy a Blu-Ray player?

Some of them are probably less interested than you think. I remember reading that a couple of Oscar voters didn't watch '12 Years a Slave' but voted for it anyway.

I've often wondered why they still do it and I wonder how much it damages a film in the long run. Taking The Hateful 8, the screener copy leaked before the film has opened (or opened on more than 100 screens). While I imagine there are people who watched it who would never have gone to see it at the cinema, there must surely be a fair few who were either on the fence or simply decided that they had planned on seeing it on the big screen, but now won't have to bother.

Given the hard line Hollywood studios take on piracy, you'd think they'd try and reign this in more. This year seems particularly bad for screener leaks. Of the major (and limited releases) it seems only The Force Awakens and Anomalisa are yet to end up online (obviously there are others).

The British Academy attempted a work around over a decade ago. As a member, I was sent a specific Dolby DVD player and DVD's that would only play on that specific player. They did this for 3 years but it was so unpopular that they scrapped it.

I'm not sure how much effect it really has on box office. A screener of Jurasic World leaked within days of its release, and that did gang busters. Guess the studio feel that added sales through Oscar buzz outweigh those lost through piracy.

The piracy effect will be most acute for marginal releases, not the big blockbuster stuff that benefits from the cinema experience, otherwise the Chinese and Russians would just stick to their pirate copies of those types of film. It's more this sort of film which would be adversely affected. Same with game piracy, it's the commercially marginal stuff which loses out most to piracy as every sale/ticket counts more to whether it is financially successful or not.

Caved in and watched the screener last night, shame because I'd have loved to see this at the cinema. Looked like an old movie classic if that makes sense? I think this camera he uses really did make a difference even by the standard of a screener. Had some great colour palettes too.

First hour was drawn out and was close to giving up (and this is coming from someone who can appreciate heavy Tarrantino dialogue scenes) but glad I stuck with it as it soon begins to formulate as a story and come together. I felt again, that QT uses the Naughty word far too much to a point where it just seems juvenile and forced. Apart from that though I could have happily watched another 30mins and that's quite remarkable given it's length. I enjoyed the world and characters. Didn't quite understand the ending. Currently my 6th fave film of the year.

Caved in and watched the screener last night, shame because I'd have loved to see this at the cinema. Looked like an old movie classic if that makes sense? I think this camera he uses really did make a difference even by the standard of a screener. Had some great colour palettes too.

First hour was drawn out and was close to giving up (and this is coming from someone who can appreciate heavy Tarrantino dialogue scenes) but glad I stuck with it as it soon begins to formulate as a story and come together. I felt again, that QT uses the Naughty word far too much to a point where it just seems juvenile and forced. Apart from that though I could have happily watched another 30mins and that's quite remarkable given it's length. I enjoyed the world and characters. Didn't quite understand the ending. Currently my 6th fave film of the year.

Didn't understand the ending?!

The word nigger (naughty word? Purlease)is used because that was the go to word in those days. It's just a word in a film.

Didn't understand the ending?!

Nope,

they read out the letter from lincoln and it's about black and white people working together, which even in this grisly tale the only surviving two were black and white. That was my interpretation but god knows. Can anyone explain it?

Watched it late last night and I must admit I was close to turning it off ( and probably would have done if others were not watching it with me) as the first hour or so just dragged on a bit and wasn't that exciting.

However it really picked up at the cabin and ended up being quite enjoyable.

Saw this with my dad tonight. He's quite into westerns though I admit I didn't know what he'd make of this. The first few minutes hold had me going 'oh dear' and then things really started to get going when everyone got in the stagecoach.

Tarantino's movies are always a bit hard to rate considering a second viewing is often needed for me. I didn't rate Vol. 2 of Kill Bill the first time around but the second viewing made it into one of my favourite Tarantino movies. Ditto for Django.

Not so with this one. Once it gets to the cabin, everything just *clicks* into place and it often compares to watching a full movie built out of the Landa interrogation scene at the beginning of Basterds. The great thing about Tarantino since IB is that he's really focused on building the tension and never stoppig. The Hateful Eight is pretty much the peak of what he's capable of at the moment. I'd say the best example of that is my dad. Usually someone who nods of in front of the TV around 9 PM no matter what's on. This movie, on the other hand, had him fully on the edge of his seat. Wide awake. The Full Three Hours of the running time from 8:30 PM to 11:45 PM.

All in all, really glad I saw this with me Dad. :)

Interesting hour long Tarantino interview where he talks a bit about Hateful Eight (no spoilers), and other things too.

I love Tarantino interviews, he's so confident in his thought process when he's giving answers, i could listen to him for hours. I watched another, described as 'intimate', but watching the interviewer ask Tarantino what he really cares about more than once to try to delve deeper than Tarantino can ever expect to go with any other interview manages to be more compelling than some films I've watched lately. Sadly not this film because I'm sure when I first saw my first dvd film The Matrix in 1999 it didn't look this blurry and undefined...i can't watch dvd rips of new films. Brrips, Web rips, yes..

I watched it last night. The bit in the carriage at the start needs cut, it needs to start with the second party getting to minis, and it needs to be a play! Reminded me of Twelve angry Men at times. Overall really liked it, but think Tarantino needs a good editor again.

How would you think that a film reminding somebody of 12 Angry Men could be a negative? Unless you somehow thought 12 Angry Men was a shit film. Upon which your judgement could be completely dismissed.

I don't agree with Mentazm that the first hour should have been cut though, I thought it was a great introduction to a certain set of characters and a good way to throw bias, either good or bad, in their direction. It was a good way to setup a group of characters.

The more I think about this film, the higher it rises in my Tarantino chart.