rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
Nespresso

Upcoming Horror Games

I take it the Silent Hill franchise is dead now? I've played pretty much the entire series in the last 12 months (bar the Vita game) and enjoyed pretty much all of them to some extent. A damn shame stuff like Shattered Memories never sold better.

Yeah, don't forget Outlast. I have it on good authority that it's the ultimate experience in gruelling nope.

PS4's becoming quite the home for PC horror, isn't it? So good to see as it's probably my favourite genre.

Yeah, don't forget Outlast. I have it on good authority that it's the ultimate experience in gruelling nope.

PS4's becoming quite the home for PC horror, isn't it? So good to see as it's probably my favourite genre.

It's not that scary. It's kind of fun to play, for a start. And it gets a bit... silly.

I take it the Silent Hill franchise is dead now? I've played pretty much the entire series in the last 12 months (bar the Vita game) and enjoyed pretty much all of them to some extent. A damn shame stuff like Shattered Memories never sold better.

Where they actually worth playing though? Loved the first three games, never really got into the room. Tried the next two games but i just didnt think they did anythin that i hadnt seen before (and that was done much better). Shattered memories was pretty good but never got to finish it as i only borrowed it for a few days.

They were definitely hit and miss. I consider Origins as the low point, and SH2 is undoubtedly the highlight. They are very much a PS2 era series, though. Even the more recent stuff like Downpour. If you accept them as just that, there's a lot of batshit crazy stuff in the series that works well. Shattered Memories works so well as a sidestep to the others and it's probably my favorite horror game from the last gen because it's so bleak and twisted. I may dig it out this weekend and have another run through of it.

• Upvote 2

Another one to add to the list is Homesick which has been teasing the crowd for little over a year now. Only heard about it today and it definitely holds potential.

Homesick is Lucky Pause’s first game; it is currently in production, made possible by a kickstarter campaign! It was Greenlit by Steam on June 28th.

Homesick brings a beautiful 3D world and a first person perspective to the great point-and-click adventure game genre.

Exploring an abandoned building, you are at peace, encountering puzzles and clues, and opening new areas of the building. You seem to have been there so long that direct sunlight is blindingly bright, yet you feel at home. But when you sleep, you are plagued by nightmares, frantically running down hallways chased by darkness, an axe in hand, trying to escape.

homesick_screenshot_v04_03.jpg

homesick_screenshot_v05_04.jpg

homesick_screenshot_v05_03.jpg

homesick_screenshot_v04_06.jpg

• Upvote 2

Horror games always seem to be set in dingy, dark places - you know what to expect. If I did one, it'd be seemingly happy in tone, with normal gameplay conventions but with much more deeper fucked up morality. Somewhere between Majora's Mask and the old Hellblazer series.

That said Homesick looks cool, kind of Session 9 the video game.

Some new games (to me anyway) are on the horizon. Both definitely look interesting.

Draugen

Ragnar Tørnquist and his team have released the first teaser trailer for their survival horror game Draugen, announced last October. The title is inspired by Scandinavian legends and Norse mythology and is set amongst the Norwegian west coast in 1920. In this dark jounrey, the player controls an American nature photographer who will uncover clues and memories about dark secrets and tragedy of a remote fishing community. Read more about it here. Expected to release in 2015 on PC and current-gen consoles.

Draugen-concept-web.jpg

Draugen-screen-02.jpg

Draugen-screen-01.jpg

White Night

Developed by ex-employees at Eden Games. After working on Alone in the Dark (and the abandoned project of the remake of the first episode in the series), they decided to create their own studio and work on an original title,

image_white_night-24579-2915_0013.jpg

image_white_night-24579-2915_0014.jpg

image_white_night-24579-2915_0016.jpg

image_white_night-24579-2915_0019.jpg

image_white_night-24579-2915_0020.jpg

image_white_night-24579-2915_0022.jpg

image_white_night-24579-2915_0028.jpg

You want more noping? More noping soon with Caffeine.

Caffeine will primarily be a Sci-Fi Horror game, but at the same time employ a strong focus on both adventure and narrative and will include some smart puzzle game play.

There will be no weapons in Caffeine but you will be able to use the environment around you.

Scattered around the environment there will be a mass of notes, audio logs and clues to what the employees at the station were up to and what was going on in their lives, hopefully creating a great deal of lore for the world of Caffeine.

Caffeine started out as an Unreal Engine 3 game but is now being built upon the power of the brand new Unreal Engine 4 which gives me the freedom to push the limits of visual fidelity and game play.

Taking inspiration from Doom 3, Condemned and FEAR 2, I plan to create a chilling, often unsettling game with some amazing visuals and a great interesting storyline to go along with it.

image_caffeine-24619-2920_0001.jpg

image_caffeine-24619-2920_0002.jpg

image_caffeine-24619-2920_0003.jpg

image_caffeine-24619-2920_0004.jpg

image_caffeine-24619-2920_0005.jpg

Seems very by the numbers so far but hey, more sci-fi horror in shiny hallways!

Hello, I don't post much but I just wanted to bring this game to peoples attention called Dreadout. Part one is out on May 15th on Steam, I've been waiting for this game for a while now, there is a demo avaliable but it is quite old now so Im not sure how much it represents the final game. Anyway here is a bunch of silly links for y'all to check out, cheers.

http://youtu.be/SWQAHcwcCE8

Official website

Steam

• Upvote 2

All I want is a current-gen or PC Fatal Frame/Project Zero release.

http://www.polygon.com/2014/4/22/5639016/new-fatal-frame-title-coming-to-the-wii-u

Tecmo Koei and Nintendo are developing the next iteration of horror adventure series Fatal Frame for Wii U, the companies announced according to Famitsu.

A release date or title was not revealed, according to a translation by Gematsu, who reports that Tecmo Koei plans to expand upon the Fatal Frame IP with a series of multimedia projects. The projects include a live-action film that is in production with Kadokawa Corporation "for a fall release" and directed by Mari Asato (Bilocation).

A comic by writer Shin Kibayashi (Kodansha, Kindaichi Case Files) is also in the works and a novel from author Eiji Otsuka (Multiple Personality Detective Psycho, The Kurosagi Corpse Delivery Service) is slated for an August release.

Yeah Giant Bomb (Patrick Klepeck) are really hyping that up.

However all the of the footage I've seen suggests nothing of the sort and makes it look like a clunky and uninteresting game.

I bought it...

I love that PS2 era of survival horror that this seems to be going for, but this really falls down by just having no direction or logic behind it. It feels a mess to be honest.

http://www.siliconera.com/2014/07/14/fatal-frame-wii-u-will-shown-live-stream-thursday/

Fatal Frame live-stream event airing on NicoNico this week

- will air on July 17

- airing at 1:30 PM, Japan time

Thursday, July 17 at 2:30 PM in Sydney

Thursday, July 17 at 5:30 AM in London

Thursday July 17 at 12:30 AM in New York

Wednesday July 16 at 9:30 PM in San Francisco

This event will feature discussion of all Fatal Frame projects in the works, including the film, Wii U game, comics and more.