IGNORED

When did you stop buying music?

catinthehat

Christ, Crispin, there is so much more to live performance than reeling off a bunch of hit songs.

I couldn't agree with you more. Going to gigs and seeing your favourite bands/artists live is the ultimate way to enjoy the music you love. You just can't get that same energy going sitting at home listening through your speakers.

When performed well, live shows are fucking magical.

I bought quite a lot of CDs at high school and into sixth-form college (thanks EMA), but stopped shortly after going to uni and just pirated and streamed stuff.

In the last couple of months I've got the bug for it again, helped by the fact I started my first 'proper' job a few months ago (after nearly two years of unemployment and shitty low paid work) so I actually have some disposable income, but also because I realised how much I missed the whole ritual of choosing and playing a physical album. It's changed the way I listen to music again. For whatever reason, with a physical album I'm far more likely to just sit there and listen to an album all the way through without distractions, letting the music capture my full attention rather than merely serving as a background for other activities. It's meant I'm enjoying music more than I have in years.

In terms of format it's still mostly CDs for me, but I do buy the occasional vinyl for albums where the CD master is horribly compressed, special albums (the recent Blade Runner remaster on red vinyl), stuff you can't get on CD (like Tortoise - Millions Now Living Will Never Die was reissued on vinyl but not CD) and albums where they give you vinyl+CD at not too much of a premium.

I stopped buying CD's about a year ago. 10 years ago I bought maybe 30-40 a year. Last CD I bought was January 2013. I stopped not because of Spotify, but I just felt the labels started taking the piss and not putting effort into the packaging. I was going to buy a CD for £9.99, then I discovered if you bought the digital version you got 4 extra tracks, and original tracks too not remixes or demos. Not to mention the last CD I bought, which came in a wafer thin card digipak that will last about 5 minutes, didn't even get a booklet with the lyrics in e.t.c.

You've got to encourage people to buy physical media, not strip it down to nothing.

My what.cd account is named istillbuycds, which I probably intended to be ironic or something at the time, but it's no longer true. I still spend of lot of money on digital downloads, most of it on boomkat and bleep (and occasionally artist's websites / bandcamps). I don't think I'd ever be comfortable just streaming, I want to own my music, to know I'll still have it in decades to come. Also I find the selection spotify has very patchy, and what they pay artists is less than a joke.

My what.cd account is named istillbuycds, which I probably intended to be ironic or something at the time, but it's no longer true. I still spend of lot of money on digital downloads, most of it on boomkat and bleep (and occasionally artist's websites / bandcamps). I don't think I'd ever be comfortable just streaming, I want to own my music, to know I'll still have it in decades to come. Also I find the selection spotify has very patchy, and what they pay artists is less than a joke.

lol

Im in the same boat as the OP. Mid 30's, and i havent bought an album by a new artist in years. The last time i came across a band i hadnt heard before and fell in love with them was like 2007. Nowadays i pretty much only listen to the same few albums, and any actual new bands ive tried i just cant get into. Like i was on spotify yesterday and it said "Hey you recently listened to trail of dead, check out this band". The band was called Liturgy, and the first song was like "oh wow this is badass!", 2nd song ..."ehhhh not great", 3rd song i skipped it after 30 seconds, and the 4th song was when i turned it off. I just cant get into anything new now, and am more or less content to listen to my bunch of oldies.

I haven't sought out records or CDs since the late 90s. 99% of all music I have since then has been MP3 and the odd CD I do buy is so obscure I have to hunt it down. Can't remember the last time I put a CD in a player.

DVDs are pretty much defunct for me now too. Even games that require a disc are vastly outnumbered by those I've downloaded these days.

Im in the same boat as the OP. Mid 30's, and i havent bought an album by a new artist in years. The last time i came across a band i hadnt heard before and fell in love with them was like 2007. Nowadays i pretty much only listen to the same few albums, and any actual new bands ive tried i just cant get into. Like i was on spotify yesterday and it said "Hey you recently listened to trail of dead, check out this band". The band was called Liturgy, and the first song was like "oh wow this is badass!", 2nd song ..."ehhhh not great", 3rd song i skipped it after 30 seconds, and the 4th song was when i turned it off. I just cant get into anything new now, and am more or less content to listen to my bunch of oldies.

:(

i disagree. i hate live music (can't talk to your mates, everyone is focused on the same thing so no funny banter with strangers, get bored of listening to the same act after 2 songs anyway)

I sort of agree with this. However, jumping around to music with a bunch of strangers is also one of life's pleasures. So it depends what kind of stuff you go to and what the crowd is like really.

Im in the same boat as the OP. Mid 30's,

I wish I was mid 30s. :(

I just remembered, I supported a few Kickstarters and Pledgemusic campaigns last year, so that's buying new music I suppose. But still, it was a few, rather than a few a week.

I would totally get a Spotify subscription if it worked on my phone. Does it work on an iPod Touch or something cheap like that?

I wish I was mid 30s. :(

I just remembered, I supported a few Kickstarters and Pledgemusic campaigns last year, so that's buying new music I suppose. But still, it was a few, rather than a few a week.

I would totally get a Spotify subscription if it worked on my phone. Does it work on an iPod Touch or something cheap like that?

2 minutes after i posted that i remembered Solar Powered People released a new album, i checked on spotify and its there, so i guess i was wrong and i have actually just found some new music i love :D

I actually started buying music around two years ago, instead of pirating it. Actually bought a CD this month and everything.

Have tried Spotify but a) it doesn't have everything on it. And b) I quite like the idea of having an actual collection of music, instead of just listening to whatever, whenever. Also I've heard it's bad for the industry so going to assume it kinda is without bothering to read the facts or anything. I've had it for a couple of months but cancelling in Feb and seeing how it goes.

Also I've heard it's bad for the industry so going to assume it kinda is without bothering to read the facts or anything.

if you thought about it for more than two seconds, people are never gonna stop making music. it doesn't need an "industry". films/games, ok, you need a massive team and shitloads of money to do basically anything. most of my favourite music from the last few years was made by teenagers and uploaded to Youtube.

i have contemporary taste. my finger is on the pulse of what's happening right now, not what happened 20 years ago :coffee:

Actually your finger is on the pulse of what was happening around 6-18 months ago, judging by most of the posts about music you make.

no it isn't, fuck you.

Mate you claim you love Kanye west and like a few months ago you were like "Is this 808 and Heartbreaks album new? If so its my favourite this year!!" and its literally 5 years old mate. Like I listened to that 5 years ago and enjoyed it. Shit like that... you don't have your finger on the pulse. In fact i'd say you're probably behind the average.

Mate you claim you love Kanye west and like a few months ago you were like "Is this 808 and Heartbreaks album new? If so its my favourite this year!!" and its literally 5 years old mate. Like I listened to that 5 years ago and enjoyed it. Shit like that... you don't have your finger on the pulse. In fact i'd say you're probably behind the average.

what are you doing? what is this?

:lol:

Crispin, you know when you're always going on about how the shit you like has millions of hits on YouTube and everyone in a club will have heard of it etc, isn't that just the hipster mentality - but inverted? In as much as in basing what you listen to on what other people like. Taking pride in that seems just as fucking dumb as taking pride in listening to stuff no one has heard of it. But it's the same exact thing. So weird.