Gunpla: The Thread

I had to googled that. The funny thing is I’ve no idea about Gundam, I just like the robot designs I’ve seen. My friends keep sending me links about the new live action movie and manga to read - but I just like the kits... I should probably at least watch the anime my two models are in - so disrespectfully!

51 minutes ago, SpagMasterSwift said:

I had to googled that. The funny thing is I’ve no idea about Gundam, I just like the robot designs I’ve seen. My friends keep sending me links about the new live action movie and manga to read - but I just like the kits... I should probably at least watch the anime my two models are in - so disrespectfully!

In fairness neither do I. I've picked up a few things, I watched Unicorn, but that's about it. I'd watch a movie though.

But ultimately I do just like the designs. Mostly. There's a few stinkers. But on the whole there's a load of very, very cool looking mobile suits from the various series over the last 40 years.

And as a hobby it's fun. The build is enjoyable, and you can go as far as you like with customisation - paint, don't paint, weathering, kit bash, scratch build, etc etc. It's great.

Managed to just about scrabble enough white paint together to finish off the first batch of white on the PG Astray, thankfully.

Next step will be glossing those, then moving onto the next batch of white parts which I'm going to test out some Mr Hobby Character White, which hopefully has enough differentiation to the white with a touch of grey I've used so far. Also a little concerned I might have lost the preshading on those parts but it'll be hard to tell until it's all together.

Tried my hand it masking off some of the Sazabi pieces but used old masking tape I found in the shed - mixed results but some bits have awful bleed. Have ordered some Tamiya tape as I want to mask a lot of this model. May get a scribing tool and etch in some new panel lines too.

Scribing is a black magic technique to me, never been successful. Intrigued to see what you come out with.

I've primed the rest of the white bits for the PG Astray this afternoon, and preshaded them. Might try and get the colour down tonight and can then maybe get most of the base paint down this weekend...

• 2 weeks later...

Well I've painted some more of the PG Astray. Completed the black and grey bits, just the red and the weapons left... Which is the vast majority of it...

I'm trying to think of a way of painting the hands without going insane with masking. And need to strip the mekkiplated bits.

And I want to do some detail painting.

And decals.

And weathering.

I'll still be doing this in June.

2 hours ago, Arn X Treme said:

Photos please!

Avert your eyes children

Spoiler

onvDZIU.jpg

ADqzTYE.jpg

HayXJjm.jpg

The desk is currently a shit show as I work the bits in batches. 

The plan is for there to be a subtle colour separation on everything, 2 tones of every colour. The red should be easy, and the black I've used midnight blue and a graphite (:wub: adore that paint - I was going to use it as the main 'black' but didn't have enough), but the white is more difficult. I think it's there, but it'll take until it's put together to see how successful it is.

The waist has a grey section which, somehow, I managed to obliterate the preshading on so I might need to go back to do some post shading...

• 3 weeks later...

Masking the hands on the Astray has made me never want to do masking again.

Made all the worse because I'm sure I've fucked it up.

I also did some more masking to break up the the mono red on it, using masking fluid for the first time and err... Let's say this thing will get some weathering.

The masking has basically been a disaster.

The fluid has left ragged edges and pulled and rucked up the underlying paint, and the making on hands has pulled up the primer when removing the tape.

ARGH

• 4 weeks later...

In a moment of madness I ordered this from Mandarake... Japan to the UK in 4 days. Blimey.

mg-gundam-mk-V+%25282%2529.jpg

P-Bandai release so a pain in the arse to get over here and expensive... But it looks badass.

On 26/04/2021 at 22:23, Chindie said:

Well I've painted some more of the PG Astray. Completed the black and grey bits, just the red and the weapons left... Which is the vast majority of it...

I'm trying to think of a way of painting the hands without going insane with masking. And need to strip the mekkiplated bits.

And I want to do some detail painting.

And decals.

And weathering.

I'll still be doing this in June.

I'll still be doing this in July.

On 10/06/2021 at 17:07, Chindie said:

In a moment of madness I ordered this from Mandarake... Japan to the UK in 4 days. Blimey.

mg-gundam-mk-V+%25282%2529.jpg

P-Bandai release so a pain in the arse to get over here and expensive... But it looks badass.

I dread to think how much that shipping cost you? 

Did you stung on customs? 

That's a nice looking model. 

22 minutes ago, Arn X Treme said:

I dread to think how much that shipping cost you? 

Did you stung on customs? 

That's a nice looking model. 

7110 yen. It's quite a big box as it's a big mobile suit. But yeah... Ouch. I had a bonus, I wanted it >_>.

Avoided customs thankfully.

I've come to the conclusion I just really like the designs from Gundam Sentinel.

£45 including shipping? That's not to bad imo.

I got a couple of the smaller SD Kits for my birthday nothing exciting, and i'm still trying to find the SD Son Wukong in stock somewhere even if it's in the UK and slightly more expensive. 

11 minutes ago, Arn X Treme said:

£45 including shipping? That's not to bad imo.

I got a couple of the smaller SD Kits for my birthday nothing exciting, and i'm still trying to find the SD Son Wukong in stock somewhere even if it's in the UK and slightly more expensive. 

That was the price for shipping only. The model cost 9000 yen >_>.

SD kits are an unknown to me, but is this of any use?

Hobbyfrontline

They had/have a discount code for 5% off iirc 

32 minutes ago, Chindie said:

That was the price for shipping only. The model cost 9000 yen >_>.

SD kits are an unknown to me, but is this of any use?

Hobbyfrontline

They had/have a discount code for 5% off iirc 

Oh my god, that's amazing!

They even have the double pack! Thank you for that. 

I used to collect SD version of the mainstream Gundams (Wing Zero, G Gundam & RX-71 etc)

Then it turns out they have their own universe with Manga, Video games and storyline and some kits are pretty cool!

I tried to find some "Romance Of The Three Kingdoms" based lines, but they sell like hot cakes, some model kits are mounted on horses etc.

47 minutes ago, Arn X Treme said:

Oh my god, that's amazing!

They even have the double pack! Thank you for that. 

I used to collect SD version of the mainstream Gundams (Wing Zero, G Gundam & RX-71 etc)

Then it turns out they have their own universe with Manga, Video games and storyline and some kits are pretty cool!

I tried to find some "Romance Of The Three Kingdoms" based lines, but they sell like hot cakes, some model kits are mounted on horses etc.

It looks like the double pack is actually more like single pack with choice of what you make, so not a true double pack...

I know the SD kits are popular, especially the Sengoku and Three Kingdoms ones, but never got into then myself.