rllmuk
mrsnrub

Gunpla: The Thread

2 hours ago, danbot said:

Thanks so much for taking the time man. I'll post when I have something.

Been coveting that RG Red Frame but your Freedom looks too good.

I also hope things start picking up for you dude.

Thanks. Things are not likely to get better anytime soon unfortunately.

Astrays are awesome. I've not built the RG Red Frame but I understand it's a pretty well rated kit and, ultimately, it's an Astray. They always look awesome. Even the MG Kai with its completely ludicrous backpack/sword/bow thing still looks great. Hence why they're one of the most popular designs.

The Freedom 2.0 is pretty much an RG Freedom that's been blown up in a photocopier and had the detail bumped up a bit. It's a really, really good kit. Surprisingly easy build, solid and loads of pose options. Very well articulated too.

It's not flawless mind. The biggest issue is that the frame for this kit was newly developed with a new type of hip joint, which has great mobility but it's apparently prone to breaking. I bought metal upgrade bits for mine. This frame is also used by the Providence Gundam and the Justice Gundam iirc. It also suffers with a couple of loose bits. The right-hand chest vent seems to fall off very easily for some reason and the vent covers on the backpack have the same problem. I also still think the interior of the shoulder armour is a bit half arsed. But it's a great kit overall.

Btw if you wanted to do one thing that can make the kits look better, look into doing some panel lining. No skill required, and can really bring out the detail on a kit. I have some new panel lining pens (Gundam markers) I picked up when starting out before I was even thinking of painting kits that I ended up not using, I'll happily send them to you if you think you'd get some use out of them. It's just 3 pens, black grey and brown, that you draw into the panel lines which helps the detail jump out. You clean up any issues with a normal eraser. Only really works with unpainted kits mind.

• Upvote 1

Thanks so much dude. That's really kind.

I actually can't wait to get back in to a build.

It just takes me away from everything life wants to constantly throw at me. :lol:

I really need to organize a little dedicated work space though.

MG Banshee ver Ka

WuVxVpz.jpg

az5iY4L.jpg

CZfU1XA.jpg

1lZtId8.jpg

oHwKWyC.jpg

QpB4pLt.jpg

LMsj1mU.jpg

DPTJGD0.jpg

HIXZI41.jpg

aMgidZy.jpg

This isn't quite finished but I've needed to walk away from it, decals onwards was a complete slog. As a ver Ka kit it has a ludicrous number of decals, and even though I didn't use the complete scheme (which verges on ridiculous) it still has a lot of decals to put in place. This time I decided not to gloss beforehand and the only real effect of that seems to be that the decals were much harder to get positioned, which doesn't make any sense but hey. It made the enormous number of decals a nightmare, each was a fight.

Originally this wasn't planned as a weathered build, but I had some issues with the paint in a few places that effectively forced weathering to hide it. There's also a very minor use of some pastels. You can't really tell in all honesty but I'm very unused to using them so that'll be an ongoing learning curve. I also did my first attempt at weathering decals (read: scratching them), which is actually much harder than you'd think it would be. Not entirely happy with the outcome but again, first attempt. 

Also this thing is never, ever being transformed to Unicorn mode. Ever.

Ever.

• Upvote 2

Never ever?! ;)

I like it. The sharp edges with the paint damage look really realistic.

I don't know if I'd ever have the balls to do that with one I actually like the look of.

Guess I should just get some hg that I have no particular love for and get experimenting. 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, danbot said:

Never ever?! ;)

I like it. The sharp edges with the paint damage look really realistic.

I don't know if I'd ever have the balls to do that with one I actually like the look of.

Guess I should just get some hg that I have no particular love for and get experimenting. 

Never. It's too much hassle to do.

Thanks. It's pretty easy to do the edges really. It's just a mix of little dry brushing, a fine brush to do the edge highlight, a bare metal colour to give depth to the bigger chips and then a bit of a wash to bring it all together. Oh and some limited sponge chipping.

I'm still not great at it, there's some chips on this I'm really not happy with at all. But getting better hopefully. I originally started out with RG MK2 to try weathering so definitely would recommend getting a cheap small kit to work with. A HG GM or Zaku would be a perfect test bed. 

I'm actually planning to use a MG Zaku 2 I've got snapped together as a test bed for proper damage. Taking a Dremel to it and the like. Zakus just fit getting fucked up so well.

Next project is probably an RG Sazabi though. Which I intend to do a full colour scheme change on...

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, Tourist said:

I picked up a free gundam model at the weekend: https://www.gundamkitscollection.com/2019/01/uniqlo-x-gundam-brings-limited-shirts.html

My daughter chose the gundam over Char's Zaku. Not sure when we will get round to building it yet though!

That's a cool promotion. A shame they seem to have made the colour combination a bit... weird. But still, free gunpla. Cool.

A HG shouldn't be the biggest commitment to put together...

• Upvote 1

rg-nu-gundam.jpg

:omg:

Literally looks like a shrunken MG ver Ka Nu Gundam. Awesome.

I'll be surprised if they've gone so far as to have the psycho frame included, the thought of the 'transformation' and the size of the parts at 1/144 scale sends a shiver down my spine. And the fun funnels on the back are a pain in the arse at MG scale so hopefully they've got a better solution for it.

But, it's an RG Nu Gundam. It'll be fucking awesome.

Inspired by the RG Nu Gundam I decided I wanted to work on the MG Nu Gundam ver Ka. I love that Gundam design, and it's a wonderful kit.

Bloody hell.

I built the Nu Gundam well over a year ago and then it got boxed up during house renovation last year. I'd forgotten how many parts it has. I spent literally hours just sticking stuff on clip sticks. 

In the end I had enough of shoving tiny pieces on sticks that I've started to just do batches of pieces at a time. There's still probably a hundred odd bits waiting to get attached to sticks. It's an incredible kit but it's one that requires more effort than many others because there's just so much of it. Hopefully get it all base painted over the next fortnight or so. Then come the decals, which, being a ver Ka, will be in the hundreds as well.

The RG Sazabi is still happening. I decided to enter a group build online with it and that has meant I want to use some new techniques on it potentially so while those get practiced I'm working on other bits. Very much looking forward to it though, I've even been tinkering with colour schemes on some 'lineart' pictures of the Sazabi, which is a first.

3 minutes ago, The Eagle Lord said:

Sazabi shield right?

Yep.

I'm taking part in a group build of Sazabis at the moment so gave me the excuse to get the RG built and finished.

I built my Sazabi over a year ago now and have him on display but still need to decal him and his shield.

Might make a night of it over the weekend.

20190807_184624.jpg

• Upvote 1

RG Sazabi - 90% done I guess but lost my way...

T9QMrTC.jpgzCLlp4j.jpgC9OV8rU.jpgRb4n8k4.jpg5Z5O6c6.jpg6ZuSjHN.jpgfllhOZB.jpgo9KmlEP.jpg

As always, happy yo have some constructive criticism, particularly if anyone has any idea on what could perhaps be added to this.

First recolour and I quite like it overall... Also first attempt at streaking, filters etc... mixed bag to say the least.

• Upvote 1