IGNORED

Sonic Boom TV Show & The Game - Nov 21st 2014

NEG

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

The Game Grumps playthrough of this has been pretty entertaining. One of the most popular series they did previously was Sonic 06, which is pretty bad, but their reaction to this is perhaps even worse. It's worth watching from the start, but the latest episode is interesting if you dont really want to watch lets plays, as they spend the first 6 minutes going through the opening cut scene pointing out some of the amateurish stuff they missed.

The beginning of part 31 sees them doing the same thing, analysing another short cutscene from the game AND a short bit of gameplay.

Shockingly amateur.

Imagine being a Sega fanboy.

Trust me, being someone who loved Sega in their heyday the past few years have been crushing. Sonic games I could ignore, but now that all of the quirky in-house developed games have dried up they're a truly tragic developer. They still publish the occasional thing of interest (see Alien Isolation), and ironically for a company intent on destroying their one profitable franchise they treat their back catalogue very well indeed (see the 3DS versions of their Arcade and Mega Drive games), but the soul that led to games like Valkyria Chronicles and Rez, Shenmue and Skies of Arcadia, Jet Set Radio and GunValkyrie, Phantasy Star and Toejam and Earl, Panzer Dragoons Orta and Saga, Space Channel Five and Chu Chu Rocket, Outrun and Burning Rangers, Nights and Shining Force, Super Monkey Ball and F-Zero GX, Vanquish and Bayonetta - that soul no longer burns :(

DoesntlikehalflifeDoesntlikehalflifeDoesntlikehalflifeDoesntlikehalflifeDoesntlikehalflifeDoesntlikehalflifeDoesntlikehalflifeDoesntlikehalflifeDoesntlikehalflifeDoesntlikehalflifeDoesntlikehalflifeDoesntlikehalflifeDoesntlikehalflifeDoesntlikehalflifeDoesntlikehalflifeDoesntlikehalflifeDoesntlikehalflifeDoesntlikehalflifeDoesntlikehalflifeDoesntlikehalflifeDoesntlikehalflifeDoesntlikehalflifeDoesntlikehalflifeDoesntlikehalflifeDoesntlikehalflifeDoesntlikehalflifeDoesntlikehalflifeDoesntlikehalflifeDoesntlikehalflifeDoesntlikehalflifeDoesntlikehalflifeDoesntlikehalflifeDoesntlikehalflifeDoesntlikehalflifeDoesntlikehalflifeDoesntlikehalflifeDoesntlikehalflifeDoesntlikehalflifeDoesntlikehalflifeDoesntlikehalflifeDoesntlikehalflifeDoesntlikehalflifeDoesntlikehalflifeDoesntlikehalflifeDoesntlikehalflifeDoesntlikehalflifeDoesntlikehalflifeDoesntlikehalflifeDoesntlikehalflifeDoesntlikehalflifeDoesntlikehalflifeDoesntlikehalflifeDoesntlikehalflifeDoesntlikehalflifeDoesntlikehalflifeDoesntlikehalflifeDoesntlikehalflifeDoesntlikehalflifeDoesntlikehalflifeDoesntlikehalflifeDoesntlikehalflifeDoesntlikehalflifeDoesntlikehalflifeDoesntlikehalflifeDoesntlikehalflifeDoesntlikehalflifeDoesntlikehalflifeDoesntlikehalflifeDoesntlikehalflifeDoesntlikehalflifeDoesntDoesntlikehalflife :(

What's that?

Imagine Nintendo not releasing the same game over and over instead.

Neg, I know that the "innovation" things is what you hang on to with sonic, but there's literally no difference between heroes, boom, 06 or any of the other 3D sonic games. They're completely identical. Play SA, then Sonic Boom, then Mario 64, then galaxy, then shut up and stop pretending that Sega have any redeeming qualities. They'd don't. They're shit.

It's not about innovation. New dev team/lands/stories/character designs/music. It all helps from being stagnant and mundane.*

And no, mechanically you can put every 3D Mario as 'the same' as well. Besides 3D World which takes a step backwards. It's not Mario 64/Sunshine/Galaxy I'd ever critic in the first place. (besides Sunshines shit blue coins) Most things since (and my comment was directed at Nintendo, not necessarily Mario), as the old joke goes, is Nintendo porting GC games again and again.

SEGA was never as guilty of releasing very similar looking shit over and over, and the Gamecube would have been a lot worse without SEGA, also.

*Which of course has it's cons don't get me wrong, but to me it's more of a overall positive.

As an aside, did you go to 'Weston Super Sonic' at the weekend NEG? I saw something on my Twitter feed about some figure being revealed there on a shitty projector against the wall. I thought it was an elaborate joke until I looked into more and found some Americans streaming from the event and doing a commentary.