IGNORED

Sonic Boom TV Show & The Game - Nov 21st 2014

NEG

I think the game has every chance of being decent. It's just a shame about the character designs. I kind of need a pleasing aesthetic for me to get into something like this (especially with its background) and the proportions just ruin it for me.

However, it's clear that the game is meant to appeal to kids and specifically US kids at that. From the looks of various comments elsewhere many people seem to like it so hey ho, who's to say they aren't right?

Westerners love bandages.

Apparently it's athletic tape, it is also designed around co-op play:

What will immediately strike veteran fans is the pretty radical re-design of these familiar platforming icons. Sonic now has a dashing scarf (yes, hedgehogs accessorise) and athletic tape wrapped round his wrists, like a boxer. Also... he has completely blue arms now. Blue arms! They were sort of flesh coloured before – and have been since the beginning. He looks grown up. Which is the point. “The objective was to make the characters instantly recognisable as being from Sonic Boom,” says Bob Rafei, the creative director at LA-based studio Big Red Button, which is handling the new title. “We explored various costume options and quickly found the limits of what works and what doesn’t. Since we wanted to push the characterisation of Sonic and friends to fit our narrative, I thought it more appropriate to make them a touch older by adjusting their head, hand and feet proportions. The athletic tape hints at a team that is ready for any action – it is about practicality rather than vanity. Given they have very clean graphic lines, it was important not to clutter their silhouettes, so any little addition had to be carefully considered. They are designed for an epic action adventure.”

The emphasis of the game will be on how the characters collaborate through each level. Sonic has speed (duh), but Knuckles has strength, Tails has his gadgets, and Amy wields her usual gigantic hammer. On top of this, the studio has added a new mechanic, the ‘ener-beam’ a sort of elastic force that links the two player characters together. This is clearly a way of preventing players from straying too far apart on screen, but it can also be exploited in useful various ways – for example, stretching the link to its limit in order to catapult one character over a chasm or into an enemy. It’s a weird concept, it sounds sort of awkward, but at least it is new.

http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2014/feb/06/sonic-boom-gamings-he

I dunno why people are getting upset over this, they've clearly marketed it as a spin-off series designed for Gaijin consumption, Sonic Team will still be fucking up original design Sonic for the purists, everybody wins (or loses depending on who you ask) as that game is coming to all systems (except PC anyway).

The thing that always amuses me about Knuckles is who's defending the Master Emerald while he's off adventuring with Sonic and co these days?

He spent literally the whole of Lost World hanging around with Amy having a picnic.

Being extremely kind, the TV show has a vague "Incredibles" vibe to it, and at least seems better than the previous Sonic shows. The ones that I've seen, anyway. Like that one where Sonic played guitar and had kids (or brothers, or whatever it was), and that first one they did which was drawn by a seven year old.

Being extremely kind, the TV show has a vague "Incredibles" vibe to it, and at least seems better than the previous Sonic shows. The ones that I've seen, anyway. Like that one where Sonic played guitar and had kids (or brothers, or whatever it was), and that first one they did which was drawn by a seven year old.

What about that other cartoon? You know, the one with a plot.

I never understood why he could glide. Climbing and breaking walls was due to his sharp knuckles, but he doesn't have wings or anything.

It never made sense to me either.

But it made for a fun gameplay twist, and you don't need any more justification than that!